Some More Whoa

Everything Duck Dogs!

Some More Whoa

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 am

It's nice to see that working around the house all winter has kept him current on what is expected. One problem I'm having- he understands "off" when from a point, but when we're doing drag/tracking practice, he won't "off" the trail, unless he's at the end, pointing whatever dead critter I have out there. He doesn't run off recklessly, and will look back at me, but you can see the thought in his mind "fuck that guy, I'm going to find what's at the end of this", and then he continues on the drag path. Any suggestions on what I could do for this would be appreciated.

assateague

Re: Some More Whoa

Postby Woody » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:53 am

Piss on him.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 am

"Heel."
Rick

Postby RonE » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 pm

electricity works most times
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:02 pm

I'd be afraid of sending the wrong message...
Rick

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Yep, and I don't know enough with the ecollar to do this. I keep it for very basic training, at this point. No sense going backwards.

Rick, so it's ok to call him back? I thought that would be bad, when what I want him to do is "keep hunting, but not after what you're going after", if that makes sense.
assateague

Postby sws002 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 pm

assateague wrote:Yep, and I don't know enough with the ecollar to do this. I keep it for very basic training, at this point. No sense going backwards.

Rick, so it's ok to call him back? I thought that would be bad, when what I want him to do is "keep hunting, but not after what you're going after", if that makes sense.

Have used "leave" at all?
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby assateague » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I use "off" for "leave it". (Not sure if that's what you're talking about or not.)
assateague

Postby sws002 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:06 pm

assateague wrote:I use "off" for "leave it". (Not sure if that's what you're talking about or not.)

That's what I figured.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 am

I was just throwing out a presumably well conditioned command that would break his focus on whatever he's tracking that you don't want him to and get him away from it. Could have been "come" or a handle (and turn by you if need be) in another direction. While most serious pointing dog guys would avoid calling Pup in often, say as a way to help modify range, because it might encourage yo-yo, in and out, rather than back and forth out front, casting, I don't see your "off" situation coming up often enough for that to become an issue.

Do, however, wonder about conditioning points at the ends of drags and on dead stuff in particular:
when we're doing drag/tracking practice, he won't "off" the trail, unless he's at the end, pointing whatever dead critter I have out there.

Seems apt to bite you in the ass when he's to retrieve game in a spot where you're unable to control what happens once he's tracked it.
Rick

Postby assateague » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:03 am

I don't have access to many live birds, so it's that or nothing.
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 am

assateague wrote:I don't have access to many live birds, so it's that or nothing.

Take a fishing net to the local hi-way overpass at night.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:09 am

A man of your many talents has no excuse for not maintaining a loft of pigeons, which is probably what the great majority of pointing dogs get most of their training on.
Rick

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:10 am

Rick wrote:A man of your many talents has no excuse for not maintaining a loft of pigeons, which is probably what the great majority of pointing dogs get most of their training on.

I'd love to have a loft of pigeons at my disposal
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:37 am

Has plenty of perks:
Rick

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am

Rick wrote:Has lots of perks:

I've ate lots of pigeons. Tasty birds.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am

Though I never cooked them whole like that. Those look huge....
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:45 am

It's how they're stuffed. Instead of stuffing the body cavity, where the stuffing flavors go straight to the gravy, my Cajun mentors taught me to cut a pocket from front to back between the ribs and breast meat on each side of the breast bone, and stuff that pocket with a mix of chopped bacon, bell peppers, onion, garlic and/or whatever else strikes your fancy. Makes the birds look like the Hulk and taste like Heaven.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 am

Rick wrote:It's how they're stuffed. Instead of stuffing the body cavity, where the stuffing flavors go straight to the gravy, my Cajun mentors taught me to cut a pocket from front to back between the ribs and breast meat on each side of the breast bone, and stuff that pocket with a mix of chopped bacon, bell peppers, onion, garlic and/or whatever else strikes your fancy. Makes the birds look like the Hulk and taste like Heaven.

What all is involved in that recipe? Seen others post pics like that and it looks awesome.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby sws002 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:33 am

Rick wrote:It's how they're stuffed. Instead of stuffing the body cavity, where the stuffing flavors go straight to the gravy, my Cajun mentors taught me to cut a pocket from front to back between the ribs and breast meat on each side of the breast bone, and stuff that pocket with a mix of chopped bacon, bell peppers, onion, garlic and/or whatever else strikes your fancy. Makes the birds look like the Hulk and taste like Heaven.

This definitely belongs in the recipe forum, gonna have to give this one a try.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

Flightstopper wrote:

What all is involved in that recipe? Seen others post pics like that and it looks awesome.

Simple pot roast: stuff, brown, add liquid (water, Sprite, beer, whatever) cover and cook until tender, checking occasionally to be sure you don't need more liquid. Or make a meal of it by adding turnips, potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, whatever to the pot, too.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

Rick wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

Simple pot roast: stuff, brown, add liquid (water, Sprite, beer, whatever) cover and cook until tender, checking occasionally to be sure you don't need more liquid. Or make a meal of it by adding turnips, potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, whatever to the pot, too.

Thanks.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Oh. Just dawned on me AT is training for upland. If so, I know how to teach woa.
My father and I trained upland dogs. Brittany Spaniels but woa is woa.
Woa saved my dogs life once. We walked ditch to culvert under I57. Pheasants (many) flushed over the highway. I screamed woa, dog looked back at me, stink eying me, then a truck missed him by inches.
Woa woa woa. Its a big deal. Pm me AT.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Gun Dog Forum