Big dog automatically = unhealthy

Everything Duck Dogs!

Postby Olly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Decided to get this debate out of the picture thread.

Eric Haynes wrote:I've never seen a healthy 130lb lab...ever. That is all.

I've seen a number of healthy 115lb+ labs. Just had to be breed for that weight. You guys are just lumping all weight into fat.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: Big dog automatically = unhealthy

Postby AKPirate » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Lots of healthy dogs that are over 100 pounds. What I didn't like is seeing my big lab hobbling around at 8 years of age. We did waterfowl and upland and his joints just wore out. Holding Kenai when we did finally put him down was one of the toughest things in life for me. Maybe the small ones don't do any better, never owned a smaller lab.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 pm

AKPirate wrote:Lots of healthy dogs that are over 100 pounds. What I didn't like is seeing my big lab hobbling around at 8 years of age. We did waterfowl and upland and his joints just wore out. Holding Kenai when we did finally put him down was one of the toughest things in life for me. Maybe the small ones don't do any better, never owned a smaller lab.

Did you seek out and find a breeder that has breed larger labs for years resulting in a bigger frame on the dog or just have a dog that got to 100lbs? I'm not trying to say that I know what I'm talking about here but I have seen a few 115lb+ labs that were VERY lean and had the frame size to support all that extra weight from the muscle and 2 of them were 10+ years old and still hunting.

My current dog has the frame of a 70lb dog and that's why he's only 68lbs. It'd be cruel and a waste of a good dog to let him get over weight.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Olly wrote:You guys are just lumping all weight into fat.
dont lump me in with all those gay heads who said that
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 pm

I don't think many of the guys here are confusing large dogs with fat dogs
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby AKPirate » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Olly wrote:
AKPirate wrote:Lots of healthy dogs that are over 100 pounds. What I didn't like is seeing my big lab hobbling around at 8 years of age. We did waterfowl and upland and his joints just wore out. Holding Kenai when we did finally put him down was one of the toughest things in life for me. Maybe the small ones don't do any better, never owned a smaller lab.

Did you seek out and find a breeder that has breed larger labs for years resulting in a bigger frame on the dog or just have a dog that got to 100lbs? I'm not trying to say that I know what I'm talking about here but I have seen a few 115lb+ labs that were VERY lean and had the frame size to support all that extra weight from the muscle and 2 of them were 10+ years old and still hunting.

My current dog has the frame of a 70lb dog and that's why he's only 68lbs. It'd be cruel and a waste of a good dog to let him get over weight.

Mine was definitely not overweight. He was a large frame dog. Sounds like the 2 dogs over 10 years got a good deal in life. I am no expert but I do prefer the larger dogs. Good thread.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:24 pm

Redbeard wrote:I don't think many of the guys here are confusing large dogs with fat dogs

So if a smaller framed dog is unhealthy because it's larger size puts strain on things like it's hips and joints why would a larger dog with larger hips, and joints be effected by the larger size? I'm really trying to understand the logic here.

To me it sounds like it always equals out.

Small frame + small weight = Normal/natural wear and tear on the dogs body.
Small frame + large weight = Extra/un-natural weight on the dog resulting in premature break down of the dog's body parts that have to bare the extra weight.

Larger frame + large weight = Normal/natural wear and tear on the dogs body.

That's how I see it and like I said I have met 2 labs that were very large (not just weight) that were lean and older in age still working every season.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 pm

This may be an exaggerated example but look at all dogs in general. Its widely accepted that a small dog will have a longer life expectancy, and shorter on a big dog. I dont know that you would get that much of a difference between an 80lb lab and a 115lb lab though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 pm

I won't say that every bigger dog will wear out faster if only used for water work. I have owned, seen, and hunted with many bigger labs, every one has slowed down and showed wear before smaller framed dogs. Like I stated before, all were upland dogs too, which is way harder on a dog. A 115# dog jumping out of the back of a truck, is not the same as a 50# dog, many bigger dogs have damage to front elbows for this reason, I know my lab did. After I learned this, I did get a dog ramp for the truck, lifting a dog that big in and out of the truck a lot sucks. I love the look of big labs, but you gain nothing from the increase of size that I've seen. Only good fit I see for a bigger retriever is for someone who hunts bigger water in a colder climate. None of this is fact, only my experiences throughout the years.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Olly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:39 pm

3legged_lab wrote:This may be an exaggerated example but look at all dogs in general. Its widely accepted that a small dog will have a longer life expectancy, and shorter on a big dog. I dont know that you would get that much of a difference between an 80lb lab and a 115lb lab though.

This is true, my sister had a little terrier that lived to be something like 16.

I would think that if you wanted a larger dog you'd need to do the responsible thing and seek out a breeder that has breed dogs in the weight range you want for a long time. So you can see the past history of their dogs and so their dogs will have more than a few generations of large dogs in their lineage.

I still disagree that getting a larger dog automatically means the dog will live a shorter life.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ea oneal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:42 pm

this guy is way to fat work him much and he starts huffing n puffing .but he got that way because after his eye had to be removed the lady of the house( aka the one who thinks she is boss)was giving him treats hand over fist .poor baby !!! he is a big dog and in hunting trim 65lbs now fatboy pushing 80 :o and you can its a bad deal
IMG_0360.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
ea oneal

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Olly wrote:
Redbeard wrote:I don't think many of the guys here are confusing large dogs with fat dogs

So if a smaller framed dog is unhealthy because it's larger size puts strain on things like it's hips and joints why would a larger dog with larger hips, and joints be effected by the larger size? I'm really trying to understand the logic here.

Small frame + large weight = Extra/un-natural weight on the dog resulting in premature break down of the dog's body parts that have to bare the extra weight.

That's how I see it and like I said I have met 2 labs that were very large (not just weight) that were lean and older in age still working every season.
first of all I don't have a life time of experience with hunting dogs to know the answer to this but...

...i'm gonna refer back to my athlete example. More specifically basketball players since I'm most familiar with em. But generally speaking taller athletes, especially those in the 7 foot range, have much shorter careers than the much shorter players. The shorter, compact athlete's bodies hold up much longer.

I don't know how or if this relates to dogs. But in my opinion there's something there. Maybe height adds extra leverage to joints that shorter dogs or athletes may not be exposed to.
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

ea oneal wrote:this guy is way to fat work him much and he starts huffing n puffing .but he got that way because after his eye had to be removed the lady of the house( aka the one who thinks she is boss)was giving him treats hand over fist .poor baby !!! he is a big dog and in hunting trim 65lbs now fatboy pushing 80 :o and you can its a bad deal
IMG_0360.JPG
thats tough to see
Redbeard

Postby Olly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Olly wrote:

first of all I don't have a life time of experience with hunting dogs to know the answer to this but...

...i'm gonna refer back not my athlete example. More specifically basketball players since I'm most familiar with em. But generally speaking taller athletes, especially those in the 7 foot range, have much shorter careers than the much shorter players. The shorter, compact athlete's bodies hold up much longer.

I don't know how or if this relates to dogs. But in my opinion there's something there. Maybe height adds extra leverage to joints that shorter dogs or athletes may not be exposed to.

That's a good point.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:51 pm

As for the plus to larger dogs, I've heard some rice hunters say they prefer taller dogs who can bound easier through the shallow rice fields.
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 pm

But I don't hunt rice enough to really know
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 pm

I think this can be Chalked up to the old "what is a better choice for a gun dog! Male or female argument". I don't think there is a truly right or wrong answer it's just a matter of opinion
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:I think this can be Chalked up to the old "what is a better choice for a gun dog! Male or female argument". I don't think there is a truly right or wrong answer it's just a matter of opinion
no one cares about the opinion of a strawberry spaniel owner
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 pm

And why did you capitalize "chalked?" Were you trying to emphasize it?
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:I think this can be Chalked up to the old "what is a better choice for a gun dog! Male or female argument". I don't think there is a truly right or wrong answer it's just a matter of opinion

I like to pretended like I own a real dog sometimes. Kinda like when Betty pretends to be a guide. :lol:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby ea oneal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Redbeard wrote:
ea oneal wrote:this guy is way to fat work him much and he starts huffing n puffing .but he got that way because after his eye had to be removed the lady of the house( aka the one who thinks she is boss)was giving him treats hand over fist .poor baby !!! he is a big dog and in hunting trim 65lbs now fatboy pushing 80 :o and you can its a bad deal
IMG_0360.JPG
thats tough to see

I started him on a low cal food and were taking a 30 min walk late in day .as for the eye old boy don't let it bug him .I see him turn his head to see, hits his marks ,hes just a happy guy .I must say I myself like a taller dog not so much big but taller we hunt marsh and thay seem to bog down less
ea oneal

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

I like to pretended like I own a real dog sometimes. Kinda like when Betty pretends to be a guide. :lol:
hahaha
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Redbeard wrote:And why did you capitalize "chalked?" Were you trying to emphasize it?

Got to accent the big words for the highway cops.
Bootlipkiller

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 pm

ea oneal wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
IMG_0360.JPG
thats tough to see

I started him on a low cal food and were taking a 30 min walk late in day .as for the eye old boy don't let it bug him .I see him turn his head to see, hits his marks ,hes just a happy guy .I must say I myself like a taller dog not so much big but taller we hunt marsh and thay seem to bog down less
you gonna continue to hunt him?
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Redbeard wrote:And why did you capitalize "chalked?" Were you trying to emphasize it?

oooooh no you didn't go there.

Coming from the guy whose phone's auto correct is WORN OUT
Redbeard

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

It deserves a metal Hahahaha
Bootlipkiller

Postby Redbeard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

It deserves a metal Hahahaha
freaking presidential Medal of Honor
Redbeard

Postby RonE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Something that hasn't come up is that Labrador Retrievers are prone to hip dysplasia and in many cases this manifests itself at ages 5 and older. Quite often people buy a Lab because it comes from a great hunting dog and a great hunting bitch and the expectation is that you will probably get a great hunting pup and in many, many cases this is true. However if the sire and dam have not been X-rayed (after they are 2 years old and their hips are fully developed) there is no way of knowing if this genetic anomaly has or will be passed on to your new pup. Suppose that you have the best retriever ever to come down the pike and you don't know that it has bad hips, all your hunting buddies are throwing dollars at you to get a pup from your dog who is three years old and dysplasia hasn't manifested itself yet. Chances are good that the pups will carry the gene and break down sooner than one would expect.

It is important to spay or neuter any dog that has poor hips and it is important to get your dog an OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) certificate before you breed your dog. Several large dog breeds are so affected, especially Labrador Retrievers and German Shepherds.

If you are paying good money for what you expect to be a good dog it is prudent to choose a dog or bitch that comes from parents that have good (certified) hips.

As Olly pointed out, bigger dogs have bigger bones but to go a step further, big bones don't necessarily mean well developed hip sockets. Just because a dog that is otherwise at the proper weight is large doesn't necessarily mean that it will break down and die at an earlier age.
Last edited by RonE on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Good info Ron but I think the final word will be whatever Eric has to say.
Bootlipkiller

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Good info Ron but I think the final word will be whatever Eric has to say.
Bootlipkiller

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum