Collar

Everything Duck Dogs!

Collar

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:02 am

This is straight from my little guide book that came with my collar.

At some time, you will get to the point where you feel your dog no longer needs to wear the e-collar because it never makes a mistake. Congratulations on a job well done!
However, your dog should always wear the e-collar when in environments that contain distractions. Would you drive across the country without auto liability insurance? You should now think of the e-collar as your insurance policy in case you and your dog get into a wreck. It gives your dog a way out of trouble in an orderly fashion that it understands even when its instincts are telling it to do something else. What does it hurt for your dog to wear the e-collar when you go to the park, grandma comes for a visit, it is time to go to the vet or a million other unknown distractions? You taught that the e-collar means the two of you are getting ready to do something fun, so keep the e-collar on.

I'm not so sure I agree with this but am pretty sure I do. Tried the off-on way and my dog has figured out real quick that on is on. Without the collar he's 99% good but that damned 1% pisses me off.
The wife is against this "leave it on" stuff and there's gonna be a power struggle when I start leaving my dog's collar on for 10 hours a day.

It was the same story with her ideas on leaving food out constantly. Once we tried my "once-a-day" feeding method we got the dogs weight problem under control.

So who agrees with the "leave it on" philosophy and why. Who disagrees and why?
It's ok to disagree but I'd like to see the why's part.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Collar

Postby Goldfish » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:24 am

If you don't leave it on all the time, the dog learns real quick what it means and what it does. If it's on them all the time they may never figure it out sled in theory will listen all the time, not just when they have the collar on.

You can make your decision on that, but I don't have my collar on my dog all the time and as dumb as she is, she's wise to pay attention when it's on and not as much when it's not.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 am

I wrestle with the "no collar or vest in the woods" thing too.
So far no snags but it's something to be concerned about.
Usually leave the collar off when trees, bushes, and branches are in the water.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby RonE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:31 am

Leaving the collar on 10 hours a day is going to cause problems with the probes wearing holes in the dogs skin. I use the collar for training and for hunting, not for anything else.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 am

RonE wrote:Leaving the collar on 10 hours a day is going to cause problems with the probes wearing holes in the dogs skin. I use the collar for training and for hunting, not for anything else.

Same here, Taz knows he can get smacked even when the collar is off.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am

RonE wrote:Leaving the collar on 10 hours a day is going to cause problems with the probes wearing holes in the dogs skin. I use the collar for training and for hunting, not for anything else.

That's kinda what I was thinking.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:42 am

I don't leave it on for 10 hours a day, but whenever we go outside without a leash, he has the collar on, whether I use it or not. Even if it's just playing with The Dingo in the backyard, he has the collar on. It's actually worked out pretty well, because he equates the collar with the freedom of being off leash, rather than the thought of correction. Even if it gives him pause from time to time.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:20 pm

assateague wrote:I don't leave it on for 10 hours a day, but whenever we go outside without a leash, he has the collar on, whether I use it or not. Even if it's just playing with The Dingo in the backyard, he has the collar on. It's actually worked out pretty well, because he equates the collar with the freedom of being off leash, rather than the thought of correction. Even if it gives him pause from time to time.

I like this. My dog gets bad scabs like Ron was saying really if I leave it on for any period of time. If we hunt days in a row, which happens often, I really have to watch for it to prevent infection.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Gun Dog Forum