Black lab

Everything Duck Dogs!

Black lab

Postby Nebgundog » Tue May 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Got a new black lab. Any recommendation s on good dry food? Country Vet. Pro Plan. Diamond?
Nebgundog

Re: Black lab

Postby AKPirate » Tue May 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Nebgundog wrote:Got a new black lab. Any recommendation s on good dry food? Country Vet. Pro Plan. Diamond?

Pics please! You will get some good info soon.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Nebgundog » Tue May 06, 2014 9:27 pm

_20140420_170112.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Nebgundog

Postby AKPirate » Tue May 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Nebgundog wrote:
_20140420_170112.JPG

Beautiful Pup! :thumbsup:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Get it without beets, it'll keep it from having smelly farts.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue May 06, 2014 9:35 pm

I've had good luck with pro plan over the years.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Olly » Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 pm

I like 4Health brand found at Tractor Supply, it's a non grain food and my dog loves it. He's into the Salmon flavour.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Nebgundog » Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Nebgundog wrote:
_20140420_170112.JPG

Thank you she's 8 weeks. Also have my 5 year chocolate
Nebgundog

Postby AKPirate » Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Nebgundog wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Nebgundog wrote:
_20140420_170112.JPG

Thank you she's 8 weeks. Also have my 5 year chocolate

Nice. Post pics as she ages please. I used Eukanuba but that was several years ago when they thought it was good stuff. Not sure what is best today.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Nebgundog » Tue May 06, 2014 9:59 pm

Well I used country vet for awhile but their sale rep pissed me off. I'm trying pro plan they seem to have a lot my energy. Lol but it's $48 a bag.
Nebgundog

Postby sws002 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Where'd you get her? I need to start researching kennels in the area, I need a puppy BAD.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby jarbo03 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Great looking pup! I have great luck with Loyall, around $32.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby capt1972 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Nebgundog wrote:
_20140420_170112.JPG

AAAAAAAWWWWWWWW
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Wed May 07, 2014 6:14 am

Glad AK asked for the pic, that's a great one.

Re: feed, my experience backs reb's about beet farts. I've fed Eukanuba, Arkat, PMI, Diamond and a couple feed store labels, all of which use beet pulp for fiber, to multiple dogs and found they all produced bigger, looser stools and more gas in the dogs fed them than Pro Plan and other Nestle Purina products without beet pulp.

There's some good information on puppy feeding in this article: http://www.joint-health-for-dogs.com/nutrition-dogs.html which shows the science behind "large breed puppy" formulas like Pro Plan's. I've had good experience with both PP's and Purina One's, which is a bit cheaper. But I gather from the article that what really matters is avoiding regular puppy feeds with elevated calcium levels or feeding enough of an adult food to result in the same and to keep Pup in trim body condition. And that what you feed, within reason, will only matter if Pup's genetics put it on the borderline of developing problems.

My guys of working age are very active much of the year, so I feed Pro Plan's "30/20" (protein and fat percentages) formula leading into and during that period, then switch to a "maintenance" formula during the months when temperatures preclude most exercise and after their retirement from working hard. Though many stay with the 30/20 year around and just cut portions, I feel better cutting calories instead of portions that are already pretty small. Have fed maintenance formulas like PP's and PO with fine result, but I'm old enough to remember when Purina Dog Chow was considered top shelf and to have watched several hard working dogs grow old on it, and that's what I keep going back to for convenience and price. (Current Brittany's little doubt eaten more of it than PP and will be 17 in a couple months.)

Anywho... While we want the best for our dogs and may agonize over what we feed them, what we do with them will be infinitely more important to their health and well-being.
Rick

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed May 07, 2014 6:42 am

Olly wrote:I like 4Health brand found at Tractor Supply, it's a non grain food and my dog loves it. He's into the Salmon flavour.

X2
Keeps their coats looking real good and it's good for them.
I have to switch flavors every few bags bc my dogs get tired of eating the same stuff.
Just don't buy the whitefish if you keep it inside the house. I have a sealed box I keep the food in and the fish smell still makes it out.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby DixieDawg » Wed May 07, 2014 6:49 am

I use the 4health brand too made a big difference in their coats and stopped a lot of the scratching they were doing
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 am

Puppy chow until your puppy is 2-2.5 years old.
Puppy chow.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 07, 2014 7:48 am

Then this.
It's what we do. Dog seems fit.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399466878736.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399466823999.jpg[/attachment]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed May 07, 2014 12:17 pm

I'll be the bad guy that "hates his dog" and say Ole Roy from Wal-Mart. On a trip to the vets office for rabies shots the receptionist didnt want to believe that my 13 year old lab was actually 13, she said "her coat looks so good". She asked what I feed then looked at me with disgust when I answered, then i got another dirty look when I said "but I put bacon greese on it sometimes".
Haha
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I'll be the bad guy that "hates his dog" and say Ole Roy from Wal-Mart. On a trip to the vets office for rabies shots the receptionist didnt want to believe that my 13 year old lab was actually 13, she said "her coat looks so good". She asked what I feed then looked at me with disgust when I answered, then i got another dirty look when I said "but I put bacon greese on it sometimes".
Haha

Best thing I've read today.
WisconsinWaterfowler

Postby Rick » Wed May 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Can remember one of the bird dog training and trialing greats being asked about feed and replying, "Anything with lots of corn." Odds are great that old boy's dogs would run the dogs of those now believing corn is the devil into the ground.
Rick

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed May 07, 2014 12:57 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I'll be the bad guy that "hates his dog" and say Ole Roy from Wal-Mart. On a trip to the vets office for rabies shots the receptionist didnt want to believe that my 13 year old lab was actually 13, she said "her coat looks so good". She asked what I feed then looked at me with disgust when I answered, then i got another dirty look when I said "but I put bacon greese on it sometimes".
Haha

Try living with that Tripod,
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed May 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Rick wrote:Can remember one of the bird dog training and trialing greats being asked about feed and replying, "Anything with lots of corn." Odds are great that old boy's dogs would run the dogs of those now believing corn is the devil into the ground.

Corn free and gluten free foods are a joke and a vet will tell you that.
Bootlipkiller

Postby Redbeard » Wed May 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Good looking pup
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed May 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Haha
AWE. SOME!
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed May 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Haha
AWE. SOME!

Im sure its less nutritious, but when I see those fuckers eat some of the shit I've seen em eat, Ole Roy is like filet mignon.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby waterfowlman » Wed May 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Nice looking pup Neb and good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Duty - Honor - Country".
waterfowlman

Postby assateague » Wed May 07, 2014 1:59 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Haha
AWE. SOME!

Im sure its less nutritious, but when I see those fuckers eat some of the shit I've seen em eat, Ole Roy is like filet mignon.

I'm with you. I feed Taste of the Wild because they eat less and there's less poop for me run over with the lawn mower.
assateague

Postby one2many » Wed May 07, 2014 2:17 pm

Haha

one if my friends only feeds Ole Roy and his mutts do great on them.i had used Diamond for a long time along with a raw meat. switched over to PPP when Diamond kept having recalls

great looking PUP!!!!!
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Nebgundog » Wed May 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Thank you too all. She coming around good in training.
Nebgundog

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum