Cooling vests?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Cooling vests?

Postby HighDesertDuck » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Anybody have any experience with these. It's getting hot down here in Nuevo Mexico.
Right now we don't walk after 0900. Even that the little furry red dog starts soaked to the bone with the hose to keep him cool. Anybody ever tried one of these?

http://www.gundogsupply.com/ruff-wear-swamp-cooler.html
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Re: Cooling vests?

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Never heard of it but might be worth a shot
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 pm

I can't see it being useful unless you shave your dog to the skin to eliminate the insulating fur between it and the vest where evaporative cooling takes place. Here in sunny South Louisiana, many retriever folks chamois their dogs when they come out of the water in the belief that even the excess water in their coats does more harm than good by slowing heat exchange and being a barrier between evaporation and the skin where it would do the most good. And as near as I can tell by observation alone, a damp dog is cooler than a wet one once that water's at Summer temperatures.
Rick

Postby Olly » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Rick wrote:I can't see it being useful unless you shave your dog to the skin to eliminate the insulating fur between it and the vest where evaporative cooling takes place. Here in sunny South Louisiana, many retriever folks chamois their dogs when they come out of the water in the belief that even the excess water in their coats does more harm than good by slowing heat exchange and being a barrier between evaporation and the skin where it would do the most good. And as near as I can tell by observation alone, a damp dog is cooler than a wet one once that water's at Summer temperatures.

That makes awesome sense when I think about it. Thanks for sharing!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby RonE » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:23 pm

In high humidity areas, swamp coolers don't work very well.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby HighDesertDuck » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Here in New Mexico average humidity is 15%ish. The soaking him with the hose prior to training/walking seems to be ok but he dries out in about 20 minutes. Looking to extend his "dampness"
New Mexico: It's not new and It's not Mexico
HighDesertDuck

Postby Matt Duncan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Keeping him dry will keep him coolest. A wet dog is almost impossible to cool down unless you keep them in the water. Sounds like you are in a fairly arid environment which makes things easier. Work in the shade when you can and dry him off when he's done in the water so his skin can breathe and keep him hydrated and you should be good to go as long as you take it easy while training.
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Matt Duncan wrote:Keeping him dry will keep him coolest. A wet dog is almost impossible to cool down unless you keep them in the water. Sounds like you are in a fairly arid environment which makes things easier. Work in the shade when you can and dry him off when he's done in the water so his skin can breathe and keep him hydrated and you should be good to go as long as you take it easy while training.

This seems logical to me, but I'm no dog expert. There's probably a reason that dogs dont sweat though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Return to Gun Dog Forum