Vest Help

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Vest Help

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:25 pm

assateague wrote:Can you measure the dog, too, if you have a chance? Dutch is 18" at the neck, 27" chest, 21" stomach.

Sure can.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Olly wrote:
assateague wrote:I know DAMN well that one for Moose wouldn't fit Dutch! :lol:

Wait! I still have the Cabelas vest. I gave away the redhead branded one. Tonight I'll take pictures of both side by side. Pictures of the seams, Velcro and both of them in my dog.

You must be confusing the redhead and Cabelas vest
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 pm

According to their website, Bass Pro doesn't even HAVE a neoprene dog vest for sale, of any flavor.
assateague

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 pm

I've had 3 brands of vest I know. The first one which I thought was a redhead was the worst and was a gift. Then I bought a cabelas and wasn't happy with that one either and finally settled on the Avery as the best. Maybe it wasn't a redhead... It was 5 years ago.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Which avery do you like Olly?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Assa, I also have an avery medium vest you can have that's 3mm. I think it's their generic vest nothing special.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Which avery do you like Olly?

I believe mine is the boater one 5mm. It has the floatation, the anti rip stuff and the grab handles which I love more than anything. Also has a zipper plus Velcro. I'll post pictures tonight comparing the Cabelas to the Avery. The Cabelas I have doesn't have rip stop stuff on it like others here said theirs had so maybe its an older model?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Yes Cabelas had a regular and Armor flex model.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Yes Cabelas had a regular and Armor flex model.

Maybe the armor flex one is better than the one I have but the one I had was so awful it scared me away from their dog vest. Its backwards, normally I love cabelas stuff and hate Avery stuff.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Olly wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Which avery do you like Olly?

I believe mine is the boater one 5mm. It has the floatation, the anti rip stuff and the grab handles which I love more than anything. Also has a zipper plus Velcro. I'll post pictures tonight comparing the Cabelas to the Avery. The Cabelas I have doesn't have rip stop stuff on it like others here said theirs had so maybe its an older model?

Another vote for the Avery boater vest. I've had 3 or 4 dog vests over the years and the Avery with a zipper and the "12 pack" handles have been the best features. My old lab used to wear a vest with Velcro and she'd shake it from time to time. Once I spent an hour walking around looking for where she ditched it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Taz has the Avery boaters, has held up for 3 years, but starting to show some age. No complaints here. I would also check out the Rivers West retriever vest, prob be my next purchase, they are designed more for a non retriever breed.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby RonE » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 pm

assateague wrote:Ok, that's 2-2. In my mind, I've ruled out the Dokken, because of the zipper, which isn't adjustable. For $19, I may try the Cabela's anyway. That's pretty cheap, and it's on clearance right now.

Ron, I appreciate it, but I don't think it'd fit. He's nowhere near as stocky as a lab, and he's sort of "odd shaped". But like I said, I do appreciate the offer.

That's why I offered it, I have a small lab and it is too tight around her chest. Thought it would fit your dog. If it didn't, just give it away or cut it up and use the neoprene.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Well, in that case, I will accept. But hold off until I have something to send in return- still owe you for the fruitcake.
assateague

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:19 pm

Maverick rocks an old school O'Neal neoprene vest. Been used by 4 other labs by the time he got it. Shit, I think my dad bought it in the late 80s. Best vest by far. Fits great, doesn't impede movement and superwarm for being pretty dang thin. I have 3 other top of the line new vests with all the fancy shit on them. The dogs prefer the old one I think.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 pm

Taz wears the Avery in a Large size, his measurements are 19-31-25. This is the next vest I will be getting, designed for the deep chest and smaller waist of the pointing breeds.

http://www.riverswest.com/retriever-ves ... 8X986hdW-k
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:18 am

3legged_lab wrote:My old lab used to wear a vest with Velcro and she'd shake it from time to time. Once I spent an hour walking around looking for where she ditched it.

Closest we've come to losing our Velcro fastened one was two seasons ago, and after looking at this photo, I should have seen it coming:

But I didn't until he was back pushing driving water for the next bird:

I reckoned it was time to start thinking about a new vest with new Velcro, but gave the old fastener a good bristle brushing to clean out some of the debris it had accumulated, and it's held fine since. Given the crap that vest goes through on our morning hunts in the floating marsh, it's a wonder the Velcro hasn't needed more attention.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:22 am

Damnit Rick I miss that place.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 am

Flightstopper wrote:Damnit Rick I miss that place.

Poof!!! You're back:

And here comes the coyote with one of your afternoon geese:

Before you know who said you know what:
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 am

Damn I make that pit look good. I'll come prop up the corner and agree with whatever story you want to tell the clients of the day anytime, free of charge.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bad17 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 am

Flightstopper wrote:Damn I make that pit look good. I'll come prop up the corner and agree with whatever story you want to tell the clients of the day anytime, free of charge.

I bet you would. Lmao
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:33 am

Flightstopper wrote:Damn I make that pit look good. I'll come prop up the corner and agree with whatever story you want to tell the clients of the day anytime, free of charge.

I'm betting a vote would favor Alicia.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 am

Rick wrote:

I'm betting a vote would favor Alicia.

:lol: bet I'd lose that vote to Peake as well.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum