Vest Help

Everything Duck Dogs!

Vest Help

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

It's getting to be that time. Pretty Dutch is done growing, for the most part, and season will be here quickly. Flight's link took me on a trip to Gun Dog Supply, and I was looking at a couple vests they have there, then I branched out a bit. We all know I'm cheap, but I generally don't buy crap, even if it's cheaper. Generally.

Here are the ones that I was looking at:

Dokken Supervest Xtreme- 3mm with a zipper- $29.95
Avery Boater's Vest- 5mm with velcro- $44.95
Cabela's- 5mm with Velcro- $19.99

Is it necessary to have the 5mm? Seems like that would be too hot for a dog, at least in my area. And is velcro a better option than a zipper? I know there will be a lot of personal preference among the options, but I'm ok with that. Just have no clue what is a better one to get. It gets down around 15-25 degrees in the late season, and we have salt water, so it'll be colder without freezing. Also, he won't be making many retrieves- I think we all know I don't kill many ducks, so aside from any shenanigans, I'd say the most he'd be in the water would be 5 times or so, and only some of those would require swimming more than 10 yards or so. Most places I hunt is knee deep to me, with the exception of the middle of the guts, where he would need to swim.

Any input?
assateague

Re: Vest Help

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Gosh I wish I could help. I quit using em long ago when I realizes they were pointless in my area. I do however remember the Velcro wearing out over time. I'd go with a zipper with the Velcro flap over it
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Bad17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Just don't get the cabelas one. That thing was a piece of junk. Some say zippers because they will last longer and some say zippers are bad because if you dog gets hung up he can't get out of the vest if it's zippered. I have the avery boat parka 5mm and it works just fine for me.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Avery's vest is the best on the market. I don't use Moose's anymore down here but up in MI it was worth it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Does the extra flotation in it make them bulky, or mess them up a little when swimming?
assateague

Postby Bad17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:15 pm

The floatations is very small. It did not affect my dog at all. Biggest thing was just letting him get used to the vest.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:18 pm

assateague wrote:Does the extra flotation in it make them bulky, or mess them up a little when swimming?

The flotation is a gimmick. The vest is just built better than Cabelas and Redhead brands both I've owned.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:18 pm

I've only had zippered (or Velro over zippered) Averys and Velcro Cabelas vests and much prefer the later for it the wide Velcro fastener's degree of added adjustability and escapablity should the vest get hung up on something. A dog vest should function like a human wetsuit and greatly slow the transfer of raw water over the dog's body and resulting heat loss, so it needs to be snug to work properly. That almost always means tailoring for fit:

Tailoring a Dog Vest

Getting an off-the-shelf vest that actually fits your dog correctly (snug everywhere, but not tight anywhere) would be a remarkable fluke. Even with a design like Cabela's wide Velcro fastener that affords an inch or two of adjustability zippers don't, the vest won't be fully functional without tailoring.

The drill is to buy the correct chest size and break out a marking pen, straight edge, scissors and a can of "neoprene cement," like Block Surf (not Aquaseal or Goop or any other substitute), and go to work.

With the vest on the dog, pinch out the excess material and mark both sides where the pinched material meets and the tip of the triangle the pinch creates.

Take the vest off the dog, and using the straightedge, draw lines from each "pinch" mark to the "tip" mark, which will create the triangular "dart" that needs removed with your scissors.

Having removed the darts of excess material, you're ready to close the gaps they created. This is where using neoprene cement, which melts the neoprene edges and essentially welds them together quickly enough that it's no strain to hold them together while it works pays off. Other types of adhesives will require stitching to hold the new seam edges together while they dry and perhaps even for support. I have never had an unstitched neoprene cement seam separate.

You'll also likely need to remove some material that will otherwise chaff Pup's arm pits and an opening around a male dog's penis. Don't worry about cutting beyond the bar tacking on a vest's stitched seams, as on a properly made vest the stitching is really just eyewash for buyers, rather than necessary.

May sound complicated, but it took me longer to type that than it would have to properly tailor a vest.

Beyond that, Cabela's Velcro lets you adjust from Summer fat to end-of-season fit.

I'm also sold on Cabela's "armor-flex" vests for the degree of added protection they afford the dog's undercarriage. Here's a photo of that seven seasons (on two dogs) had done to the top of a Cabela's neoprene vest:

Yet, two more seasons after that photo was taken, the armor-flex protected bottom half that's taken the bulk of the beaten remains unmarred. Wasn't the cheapest vest out there, but nine seasons and counting seems a pretty good value.
Rick

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:19 pm

assateague wrote:Does the extra flotation in it make them bulky, or mess them up a little when swimming?
No. What Bad said

And make sure after you get it, to properly customize the size to Dutch. Otherwise it'll rub his front pits raw
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 pm

What about the Dokken? Ever used them? I like that their measurements for sizing are much closer to Dutch's actual size than the others. Almost identical, actually.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 pm

I took Rick's advice with the Cabelas with Armor flex and wide Velcro and am very glad I did. Velcro really helps to snug it up where they need it and fit is good after tailoring.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Good point- I never thought about being able to adjust the fit with Velcro vs a zipper. Was just thinking of it as a closure mechanism.

And is 5mm overkill, or is it a good idea?
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:22 pm

My dog is a pussy so I'm of no guidance there.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Bad17 wrote:Just don't get the cabelas one. That thing was a piece of junk. Some say zippers because they will last longer and some say zippers are bad because if you dog gets hung up he can't get out of the vest if it's zippered. I have the avery boat parka 5mm and it works just fine for me.

My experience has certainly differed. As noted above, two of my dogs have put nine seasons on the Cabela's vest above, and the "replacement" I bought on sale a year ago but haven't gotten around to putting to use appears of identical construction.

I see the Avery boat parka as a counterproductive marketing gimmick. The "handle" holes are just two more openings to speed raw water, and thus heat, transfer and chances for the vest to hang up on a snag of some sort. And as one who works out of a rampless boat a good bit, I've found it a whole lot easier on man and beast to lift Pup by the scruff of its neck until his front feet are over the side and then let him use the support of that hand on the back of his head/neck to help lever himself on aboard than to try hoisting the dog over the side by its vest like a 12-pack.
Rick

Postby Bad17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Great opinion. I still didn't like the cabelas vest and that opinion won't change. I'm glad you have had great success with yours I did not. Assateague you will just need to look at them and decide.
Bad17

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Like I said earlier I'm with Bad. The cabelas I had was a POS and the Avery is hands down better. I hate saying that too because I mostly hate Avery products but they got the dog vest right.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 pm

assateague wrote:And is 5mm overkill, or is it a good idea?

When my last Brittany was still working waterfowl, I had both a 3mm and a 5mm vest for him, and it seemed the the thicker one did more good. Got so I only put the thin one on him for camo effect in warmer weather when carrying folks who might freak over hunting ducks and geese over a white dog. My thought would be why not buy the vest that does the most good?
Rick

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:56 pm

That's what I was thinking, but feared overheating may not qualify as "the most good" :lol:
assateague

Postby Bad17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:16 pm

I use a 5mm and I live in east Texas. I don't use it all the time just at certain places. If you are getting it for protection you might look at getting both sizes. You can always take it off if you see your dog getting hot.
Bad17

Postby RonE » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm

How about I just send you a vest. Labrador Retrievers don't seem to need them around here and I have one that was given to me. From the pictures of your dog, I think it will fit.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:43 pm

Rick wrote:
assateague wrote:And is 5mm overkill, or is it a good idea?

When my last Brittany was still working waterfowl, I had both a 3mm and a 5mm vest for him, and it seemed the the thicker one did more good. Got so I only put the thin one on him for camo effect in warmer weather when carrying folks who might freak over hunting ducks and geese over a white dog. My thought would be why not buy the vest that does the most good?

I have both the Avery and Cabela's. Cabela's hands down, every time. Don't listen to the other 2.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:51 pm

Ok, that's 2-2. In my mind, I've ruled out the Dokken, because of the zipper, which isn't adjustable. For $19, I may try the Cabela's anyway. That's pretty cheap, and it's on clearance right now.

Ron, I appreciate it, but I don't think it'd fit. He's nowhere near as stocky as a lab, and he's sort of "odd shaped". But like I said, I do appreciate the offer.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:56 pm

assateague wrote:Ron, I appreciate it, but I don't think it'd fit. He's nowhere near as stocky as a lab, and he's sort of "odd shaped". But like I said, I do appreciate the offer.

Whatever, Asshole :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:57 pm

assateague wrote:Ok, that's 2-2. In my mind, I've ruled out the Dokken, because of the zipper, which isn't adjustable. For $19, I may try the Cabela's anyway. That's pretty cheap, and it's on clearance right now.

Ron, I appreciate it, but I don't think it'd fit. He's nowhere near as stocky as a lab, and he's sort of "odd shaped". But like I said, I do appreciate the offer.

I did the same thing it was a waste of money. Ended up giving it away. Avery is the only choice. If I wasn't planning in moving back north in a few years I'd give you the one in have since Moose doesn't use it down here.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 pm

I know DAMN well that one for Moose wouldn't fit Dutch! :lol:
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Don't over think this and fuck up, just buy Cabelas Armor flex and be done with it. I remember rich posted a pic of his and while the top was a little worn the Armor flex region looked new.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:20 pm

assateague wrote:I know DAMN well that one for Moose wouldn't fit Dutch! :lol:

Wait! I still have the Cabelas vest. I gave away the redhead branded one. Tonight I'll take pictures of both side by side. Pictures of the seams, Velcro and both of them in my dog.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Can you measure the dog, too, if you have a chance? Dutch is 18" at the neck, 27" chest, 21" stomach.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:23 pm

I went with the Avery one and it's pretty nice having the handles to lift my dog up like a 12 pack. My boat has no sidewalls whatsoever so there isn't much for her to stand on getting over the rail so she ends up sliding over it if I don't lift her (when I don't have the dog ladder out). It has the extra foam and I don't know if it's gimmicky or not, but when she jumped out of the boat into flooded water that was covered in pond weed so she thought it was solid ground and she completely disappeared under water, I was glad for every bit of flotation she had.

I have no thoughts for or against the Cabelas one, but I'm happy with my Avery boaters vest
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Don't over think this and fuck up, just buy Cabelas Armor flex and be done with it. I remember rich posted a pic of his and while the top was a little worn the Armor flex region looked new.

Ive had mine for 4 years and it is perfect. I bought the Avery a couple months before the Cabelas and it was complete junk. Got tore up after just a few hunts.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum