New gun dog

Everything Duck Dogs!

New gun dog

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:34 am

My old lab is in need of retirement have had a few good labs over the years and am considering maybe a different breed this time I'm going to let my old girl enjoy the last couple of years she has just curious what some of y'all hunt with and what breeds do best for y'all it'll have to serve as a good pet when the girls want to play as well as serve in the field
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Re: New gun dog

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:27 am

We always had German Short Haired Pointers when I was a kid then we change over to labs. Great all around dogs, birdie as hell and great stamina. They were killer on upland and waterfowl. I'm probably going to get another one someday. People say they are to high strung but we never had a problem with them. Super family dog, always happy and ready to go.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 am

That's kind of where I've been leaning is either a GSP or GWP have heard a lot of good things about them I love my labs but been thinking maybe a change would be nice
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 am

DixieDawg wrote:That's kind of where I've been leaning is either a GSP or GWP have heard a lot of good things about them I love my labs but been thinking maybe a change would be nice

Yeah, I'll always have at least one lab running around even if I get a GSP someday.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby RonE » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:14 am

Why not stick with the Labrador Retriever and just change the designer color......Perhaps yellow or chocolate if black is starting to bore you?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 am

Labs are the only dog I've ever had may just stay with them and change color just hit me a little strange when going through some old photos my grandson ask why all he ever seen me with was a black dog one of those strange moments in time
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:39 am

Jarbo likes his bearded dog
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 am

Yes I do, he is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. There are a lot of good breeds out there, most important is to find one that suits you best. Where do you live, what type of terrain do you mostly hunt, what species do you hunt? Those will help you decide which breed is best
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Hunt mainly lakes and rivers here in Tennessee but occasionally make it to Arkansas and Louisiana if taz is your dog he's a fine looking dog don't know much about WPG but I've heard a lot of good about them
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:47 pm

DixieDawg wrote:Hunt mainly lakes and rivers here in Tennessee but occasionally make it to Arkansas and Louisiana if taz is your dog he's a fine looking dog don't know much about WPG but I've heard a lot of good about them

I'd just stick with labs. Where from in Tennessee? I'm 30 miles north of Memphis.
Westie25

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Westie25 wrote:
DixieDawg wrote:Hunt mainly lakes and rivers here in Tennessee but occasionally make it to Arkansas and Louisiana if taz is your dog he's a fine looking dog don't know much about WPG but I've heard a lot of good about them

I'd just stick with labs. Where from in Tennessee? I'm 30 miles north of Memphis.

I'm up in east Tennessee about 30 miles east of Knoxville
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 pm

DixieDawg wrote:
Westie25 wrote:

I'm up in east Tennessee about 30 miles east of Knoxville

So damn far away. Beautiful world up there, though.
Westie25

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 pm

I make it down your way occasionally might look you up for a hunt some time have some property down in Jackson county we deer hunt on
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Wait a second....

People from TN actually hunt there? I thought they all migrated to a place where ducks were easy to hunt.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:28 pm

We get a few strays around mostly mallards and wood ducks but have gotten a red head and a few canvas backs plus several Canadian geese
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks, he has turned into a great retriever, pointer, and house dog. The breed is capable of doing everything you need. If you only hunt waterfowl I would prob stay with a retriever breed, or possibly a boykin. The independent nature and training styles of a griff, or other v-dogs can be different.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:36 pm

One thing that is not to be discounted, no matter what you hunt- the griffs don't shed. At all. Not a bit. Though I will probably never hunt traditional upland, I wanted a griff due to the breeding program, really. Yes, excellent labs are everywhere, but there's just so darn many labs in general that it gets a little more complicated knowing that you have a "good" hunting breeding, versus just a money maker breeding, so to speak. If that makes sense.
assateague

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:37 pm

jarbo03 wrote:

Thanks, he has turned into a great retriever, pointer, and house dog. The breed is capable of doing everything you need. If you only hunt waterfowl I would prob stay with a retriever breed, or possibly a boykin. The independent nature and training styles of a griff, or other v-dogs can be different.

Thanks for the info may just stay with my labs thinking might let my grandson pick out the next one now that my Dixie is getting too old for the cold water she still does well with doves and upland may still take her for that
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:45 pm

DixieDawg wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

Thanks for the info may just stay with my labs thinking might let my grandson pick out the next one now that my Dixie is getting too old for the cold water she still does well with doves and upland may still take her for that

After having a lab and britts, what AT said is a big A++. The shedding issue alone is worth a lot, throw in the fact they are hunting machines, makes it even better. If you also hunt upland, a griff would be a good choice.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Sounds like a good all purpose dog which is what I need I hunt upland,waterfowl, and just about anything in season
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:12 pm

assateague wrote:One thing that is not to be discounted, no matter what you hunt- the griffs don't shed. At all. Not a bit.

This has been a huge factor for my considerations so far. I'm not in the market for a dog, just looking around as of now.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:16 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
assateague wrote:One thing that is not to be discounted, no matter what you hunt- the griffs don't shed. At all. Not a bit.

This has been a huge factor for my considerations so far. I'm not in the market for a dog, just looking around as of now.

My wife would love the no shedding part
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:24 pm

The prey drive is very strong, Taz has killed many rabbits, 2 groundhogs, and 3 raccoons. He no longer chases while hunting, but the backyard is open game. Like any dog, teach them boundaries. It is cool havibg a dog that breaks ice in the morning, points upland birds in afternoon, then could blood track or varmibt hunt at night.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:42 pm

DixieDawg wrote:I make it down your way occasionally might look you up for a hunt some time have some property down in Jackson county we deer hunt on

Holler at me for sure. Most weekends I'm in Arkansas guiding but if it's a weekend I'm not I'll be more than happy to try down on the river.
Westie25

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 pm

jarbo03 wrote:The prey drive is very strong, Taz has killed many rabbits, 2 groundhogs, and 3 raccoons. He no longer chases while hunting, but the backyard is open game. Like any dog, teach them boundaries. It is cool havibg a dog that breaks ice in the morning, points upland birds in afternoon, then could blood track or varmibt hunt at night.

Remember that time I put him in my truck so I didn't back over him? God it took me 3 hours to get this thing clean. Ha.
Westie25

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 pm

I've done some research and the WPG is sounding really good so far grandson will be here tomorrow may have to show him a few and see what he thinks he's getting old enough now he'll be in the field with me this year and training a new pup with him would be a lot of fun learned from my dad taught my daughter and ol'granddad I'm thinking needs to teach him
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Westie25 wrote:
DixieDawg wrote:I make it down your way occasionally might look you up for a hunt some time have some property down in Jackson county we deer hunt on

Holler at me for sure. Most weekends I'm in Arkansas guiding but if it's a weekend I'm not I'll be more than happy to try down on the river.

I'll do that same goes if you're ever up my way got all kinds of critters and varmints running around the farm here
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:46 pm

DixieDawg wrote:
Westie25 wrote:

I'll do that same goes if you're ever up my way got all kinds of critters and varmints running around the farm here

It's been some years since I've been that way, but I really hope to get to a football game this year.
Westie25

Postby DixieDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 pm

If you ever do the offer is open
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Westie25 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:The prey drive is very strong, Taz has killed many rabbits, 2 groundhogs, and 3 raccoons. He no longer chases while hunting, but the backyard is open game. Like any dog, teach them boundaries. It is cool havibg a dog that breaks ice in the morning, points upland birds in afternoon, then could blood track or varmibt hunt at night.

Remember that time I put him in my truck so I didn't back over him? God it took me 3 hours to get this thing clean. Ha.

You're saying Taz is hyper in a vehicle, too? Good. I thought Dutch was just water headed when it came to that. The first 10-15 minutes, that sonofabitch is like a crackhead in the Jeep.
assateague

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum