Hold

Everything Duck Dogs!

Hold

Postby Spencer Crabtree » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:26 pm

How to teach hold without force fetch. My dogs 1 year old and he brings it right up and drops it about a 2 feet in front? How to fix that?
Spencer Crabtree

Re: Hold

Postby banknote » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Rick's suggestion over on DHC looked like a good one to me.
banknote

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:38 pm

banknote wrote:Rick's suggestion over on DHC looked like a good one to me.

Link?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby banknote » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
banknote wrote:Rick's suggestion over on DHC looked like a good one to me.

Link?

Here's his answer to the same question over there.
"Scroll down to the "Delivery to Hand" articles on this newsletter link: http://www.uklabs.com/newsletter.php"
banknote

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Spencer Crabtree wrote:How to teach hold without force fetch. My dogs 1 year old and he brings it right up and drops it about a 2 feet in front? How to fix that?
it can be as simple as placing the bumper in the dog's mouth while holding his chin up with your opposite hand so that he can't drop it. All the while giving him the "hold" command. And plenty of praise afterward. Eventually you'll progress to removing your hand from his chin and allowing him to hold it himself. If he regresses just go back to supporting his chin until he understands.

Once he has that down pat, I'd have him follow you around the yard, heeling, etc, holding the bumper until you give him the "leave it" command

I'm sure the more experienced guys can expand on that...or tell you to ignore my advice!

Good luck
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Spencer Crabtree » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks for the advice I've been stressing over it with duck season coming. That 2 feet makes you have to climb out of your layout and go get it. When your on the X and birds or pouring in that sucks. Also how about kennel? He knows the kennel command only he doesn't like going in. He will run in then run right back out. I've been told to try treats but I've also been told treats are a bad way to train. Any help?
Spencer Crabtree

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Spencer Crabtree wrote:Also how about kennel? He knows the kennel command only he doesn't like going in. He will run in then run right back out. I've been told to try treats but I've also been told treats are a bad way to train. Any help?

Doesn't sound like whatever you've been doing is such a good way. I'm certainly not what most would call a treat trainer, but my pups have always had chew toys or bones in their kennels and thought of them as great places.
Rick

Postby RonE » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Spencer Crabtree wrote:Thanks for the advice I've been stressing over it with duck season coming. That 2 feet makes you have to climb out of your layout and go get it. When your on the X and birds or pouring in that sucks. Also how about kennel? He knows the kennel command only he doesn't like going in. He will run in then run right back out. I've been told to try treats but I've also been told treats are a bad way to train. Any help?

Don't know how old your dog is but all of my dogs were raised in a kennel (in the house) and they think of it as their home, a wonderful safe place. If I bring a kennel in the house now and leave the door open or off, the dog will sleep there over any other place in the house........

I would try giving him/her a treat through the door of the kennel when it is closed and let the dog sleep in the kennel. Every time you put the dog in the kennel say the command "Kennel". Let the dog out of the kennel often to pee, drink, to play and to train. Let the dog out to watch TV and to eat. Allow the dog to learn that the kennel is home but it is open often. When you take the dog out to air, open the kennel door and have the dog heal until you give it whatever command you use to have the dog pee or poop. ("High On" was used for years, I use "Be a good girl") Once aired, put the dog back in the kennel until it is time to do something else.

My dog now sleeps in the foot-well of my wife's desk because it is closed on three sides and on top.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby one2many » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Spencer Crabtree wrote:How to teach hold without force fetch. My dogs 1 year old and he brings it right up and drops it about a 2 feet in front? How to fix that?
it can be as simple as placing the bumper in the dog's mouth while holding his chin up with your opposite hand so that he can't drop it. All the while giving him the "hold" command. And plenty of praise afterward. Eventually you'll progress to removing your hand from his chin and allowing him to hold it himself. If he regresses just go back to supporting his chin until he understands.

Once he has that down pat, I'd have him follow you around the yard, heeling, etc, holding the bumper until you give him the "leave it" command

I'm sure the more experienced guys can expand on that...or tell you to ignore my advice!

Good luck

X2
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Archeryrob » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:49 am

Redbeard is correct, but not force fetching can lead to refusals to pick up big birds like geese. After more experience they learn it, but it takes more time. Force fetching is just a speeder process
Archeryrob

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:21 am

Archeryrob wrote:Redbeard is correct, but not force fetching can lead to refusals to pick up big birds like geese. After more experience they learn it, but it takes more time. Force fetching is just a speeder process

Dang sure not speedier than building good habits from the git-go. That has Pup well conditioned long before he's old enough for FF.

(I know, I know, Spencer's not been heard from since July, but it seemed as good of a topic as any to argue away the forty-some days until we open again.)
Rick

Return to Gun Dog Forum