Picking up my cholocate lab puppy today

Everything Duck Dogs!

Picking up my cholocate lab puppy today

Postby Bowjoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:17 am

Found a AKC cholocate lab puppy today and we are going this evening to pick him or her up.. I was told that females are easier to train ..we also have my wifes male chiwowwa heck I cant spell.. she is worried about 2 males and him marking his terrirory with another male in the house.. any thoughts on this ?? also is a female easier to train and what can I start to do with a new puppy to get her ready for the field next year.. Thanks..
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Re: Picking up my cholocate lab puppy today

Postby Westie25 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am

Pick up some literature. I read water dog by Richard Wolters. I'd start there and come up with a solid plan. I'm in the middle of training a pup right now and 95% of my issues have been obedience related. That being said, really work hard to develop an obedient dog.
Westie25

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 am

You have waterfowlitus like nothing I've seen! :lol:

Hunting with a good dog is very rewarding. Read as much material you can and find a good training program for you to follow all the way through, ie fowldawgs, smartworks or others. Steadiness is probably the most important thing you can work into a new pup especially with the kids. You don't want a dog that will break as soon as the guns go up and end up on the bead of a shotgun. Using an e-collar ad force fetching are two things you will need to decide if you want to work into your program or not, the two programs I listed utilize both although some say you don't need to. As a novice trainer it might be better to seek the help of a pro on those topics or tread lightly. As for male or female I'd say the breeding plays a bigger role on the outcome of the young pup and how you raise it in the family more than the sex.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:30 am

Westie nailed it in regards to obidience. EVERYTHING stems off of solid OB
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Holy crap, Joe, take a breath! :lol:
assateague

Postby Bowjoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:53 pm

LOL..I got bored sitting around the house so went to the river and shoot a mallard yes hen..oops.. I shot at a green head but just couldent connect.. Not bad for 1:30pm hunt before kids get home..bacon wrapped duck breasts for dinner..mumm. Yeah but I cant wait till the dog is big enough to retrieve Im tired of getting cold feet.. sorry for the crappy cell pic..
Bowjoe

Postby Westie25 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:52 pm

I don't think you'll get the hen argument from this crowd.
Westie25

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:07 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No argument here- I don't feel even a little bit bad about shooting a hen. Ever.
assateague

Postby Westie25 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Ducks a duck. If you're in 10k mallards then I say shoot for green. But if you're like me and scratching ducks then pull the trigger.
Westie25

Postby Redbeard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

I love this guy! He's coo coo for ducks. And he's a big ole country boy with a solid beard.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 pm

assateague wrote:Holy crap, Joe, take a breath! :lol:

yes be careful before you take a second out on your house
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Oh and congrats on the pup. Name?
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Congrats Joe, expect to see some pics soon. I have heard great things about the Fowl Dawgs training series.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Bowjoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Duck breasts make your beard grow twice as fast.. Your gonna laugh but I always had a goat t but never long this is actually my first full beard I figured ya cant be a waterfowler without a beard..LOL :ugeek:
Bowjoe

Postby Bowjoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Here's Maggie.. Great dog really mellow for being in a new home and yes I got her a quackin duck toy..Im sick I know..
Bowjoe

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Cute pup. I'm jealous- this guy's been in the business for three weeks and got a dog. I'm going on 35 years doing this crap and still waiting! :lol:
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Good looking pup. Looks big in the pics.

Duck toy looks too familiar
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349831403.408294.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Moose has the same toy. His is a little worse for wear though.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Great looking pup. I love choc labs, sone day I will have another.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Olly » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Joe you're in for some of your most frustrating days ahead when it comes to training a duck dog. I had never been done it before, or trained any dog for that matter. Two of my best pieces of advice are first have patience with yourself and the dog and second get some good reading material. I used Water Dog and Smart Fetch primarily.

Good luck man, there is nothing better in the duck hunting world then when you see your dog make a retrieve with skill and speed.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Joe you are going balls out at this sport!

And X2 on being pissed off and frustrated one second then proud as hell the next. This morning I made a horrible shot on a mallard, it flew about 150-200 yards then lunged out. I marked it, then later ran the boat over there to see if Tug could find it. I was walking behind him going towards the distant mark I had when he hits the brakes and sticks his nose up in the air. He sniffs the air for 5 seconds then makes a 90* right turn, walks 8 feet and picks up my dead bird. "ATTA BOY!" I tell him and we head back to the boat.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bowjoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Joe you are going balls out at this sport!

And X2 on being pissed off and frustrated one second then proud as hell the next. This morning I made a horrible shot on a mallard, it flew about 150-200 yards then lunged out. I marked it, then later ran the boat over there to see if Tug could find it. I was walking behind him going towards the distant mark I had when he hits the brakes and sticks his nose up in the air. He sniffs the air for 5 seconds then makes a 90* right turn, walks 8 feet and picks up my dead bird. "ATTA BOY!" I tell him and we head back to the boat.

Thats awesome.. Yeah I understand the hard work and the patitence I have to show while training her.. I know it will be worth it in the long run.
Bowjoe

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 pm

The thing I always have to remind myself is just to not get too mad at the dog when they dont do what you want. They are just as excited to be hunting as you are.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Great lookin pup ya got there
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Joe you are going balls out at this sport!

I've had to learn to trust Charlie's nose for sure
Redbeard

Postby Bowjoe » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:35 am

Thats my girl...
Saved my duck wings from the other day and I have been tossing them and working on her picking them up and returning them to me..So far I am really impressed she has no problem picking up the wings buddie said his dog wont touch a feather dog refuses to have feathers in its mouth so so far she has no problem with that she brings the wing right back to me she wanted to run off a time or two but now she brings it to me.. Little steps so far but seems to be working well..
Bowjoe

Postby obxbufflehead » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:38 am

Bowjoe wrote:Thats my girl...
Saved my duck wings from the other day and I have been tossing them and working on her picking them up and returning them to me..So far I am really impressed she has no problem picking up the wings buddie said his dog wont touch a feather dog refuses to have feathers in its mouth so so far she has no problem with that she brings the wing right back to me she wanted to run off a time or two but now she brings it to me.. Little steps so far but seems to be working well..

I don't know if its my place to judge, but I wouldn't be letting her chew on decoys. But other than that it sounds like you are doing a good job. That's a good looking pup.

Sent using Tapatalk
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Bowjoe wrote:Thats my girl...

Your wings look a little hard. And plasticy.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bowjoe » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 pm

wife wanted a nice picture of her laying next to the decoy but she wanted to play with it.. Yeah plastic wing..LOL..
Bowjoe

Postby Westie25 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Bowjoe wrote:wife wanted a nice picture of her laying next to the decoy but she wanted to play with it.. Yeah plastic wing..LOL..

Don't discourage chewing. Just teach her what she can and can't chew on. Also, throw things for her. Keep it fun. Lots of happy. Encourage and praise.
Westie25

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum