Yellow lab 1 yr 3 months old

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Yellow lab 1 yr 3 months old

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:44 am

Have you force fetched yet?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:00 pm

No, it's something Walters' old book doesn't cover and some of us still don't fool with.

I read your "problem" as a simple lack of introduction to birds and suggest not making more than need be of it. If you didn't lose your cool and give Pup that bad association with ducks, the solution is probably as simple as setting Pup us to retrieve just as you did in training and tossing a bumper or two for her to prime the pump before setting her up exactly the same and tossing a dead duck for her. Odds are great she'll then understand it's what she's to retrieve and do so.

Should she still be reluctant about the bird, get her a live pigeon, pull the primary feathers from one wing and use it just as you did the duck.
Rick

Postby Olly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Rick wrote:No, it's something Walters' old book doesn't cover and some of us still don't fool with.

I read your "problem" as a simple lack of introduction to birds and suggest not making more than need be of it. If you didn't lose your cool and give Pup that bad association with ducks, the solution is probably as simple as setting Pup us to retrieve just as you did in training and tossing a bumper or two for her to prime the pump before setting her up exactly the same and tossing a dead duck for her. Odds are great she'll then understand it's what she's to retrieve and do so.

Should she still be reluctant about the bird, get her a live pigeon, pull the primary feathers from one wing and use it just as you did the duck.

FFing is a hot debate for sure.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:59 am

tipstudios wrote:Rick, thanks for the suggestion.. I didn't lose my cool with her... I read to keep everything positive and will continue to work with her on it... Thanks again

I would suggest reading up and watching youtube videos about force fetching. As Rick said some trainers don't feel it's needed and some do. I FFed my dog who is also my first hunting dog ever. In the long run it was easier on both myself and the dog to get him to where I wanted him. Now that I have some (small) experience with training a duck dog I might not FF my next dog when the time comes.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:10 am

I feel a FF debate coming on...
Rick

Postby Archeryrob » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:27 am

I don't and never have force fetched, but I don't have a problem with anyone doing it. Its a reliable way to get the dog to do what you want, I just don't use it.

I always brought dead birds home to the pups as they don't hunt the first year. They have to be used to guns and OB must be pretty good just for them to watch a hunt. I only used geese as refusals on geese because of the size was my main issues with dogs. I would put a 4' cord around the gooses neck and blow a honk while yanking the dead goose. It just riles the predator response and they attack without thinking. Once they are good and worked up, I command "sit", throw the birds, dogs name to send them and they usually snatch it right up.

The first cripple is always a joy too, but I'm behind them with "get 'em" repetitively and the same predator response kicks in and they just charge in and get it. I worked with "get 'em" as home with the dead birds also, so its something they remember. I am unconventional but its how I learned before the internet and without a knowing trainer around. I just use the dogs natural instincts to make them want to do it. I also only hunt with my dog and am not worried about field trails.

Like Rick said, their is no substitute for real birds. They feel funny in the mouth, they make the dog cautious at first.
Archeryrob

Postby capt1972 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Sounds like she just needs to build some confidence. Mine did the same thing in the begining, now she could care less.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Steele22 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:45 pm

Bought my dog at 9 months from a trainer, both parents have titles and all that shit. He was f-fetched and the whole 9 yards. Bought him the Wednesday before season and had him in Arkansas rice field sat morning. First duck down I send him and he went out and pawed at it so I went and got it and didn't let him touch it on way back. Must have hurt his pride. I haven't touched one in 2 years now since then
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 am

If that anecdote had ended with the dog being FFed and not balking at icy water again, it might have been more telling.
Rick

Postby outboardman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:20 pm

capt1972 wrote:Sounds like she just needs to build some confidence. Mine did the same thing in the begining, now she could care less.

This, plus your scent is not on a duck you shoot. Remember everything you have thrown for the dog has had your scent on it. Now you are asking the dog to bring back something without it. She will be fine, first duck is almost always a challenge without using real ducks to train. She will get over it, you need to get excited when she grabs it,she will figure it out. You will have the same problem with first goose also,so be ready. Mine did the same as well.
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby Throbbin Rods » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Kibo, 2 yo BLM, has never had a problem retrieving anything. Whatever we toss in the water he brings back, whether we throw by hand or use the Retriever Trainer. Last year due to health issues I didn't hunt much and killed very little. I did hunt one day that the two young guys on the next island waved me down to talk and exchange numbers for future hunts and they allowed me to toss one of their ducks in the water for Kibo (since I couldn't kill one). He went right to it, grabbed it, headed back in on the "Bring It" command until he got about 5 yards from the boat. He let go, swam around it 2-3- times, then heeded the "Get it" command and brought it to me. This year I had hoped to drop a duck for him first so the scent and size might be familiar. Nope, doubled up on geese. He swam right to them, grabbed one by the neck but let go, then swam around that bird a couple of times. After repeated commands he finally grabbed a duck decoy and brought it in. He will get there, as will your dog.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firewokey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:35 am

My pup wouldn't bring back or even pickup a real bird. Was very frusterating for a day or two, but in the end all i did was tie a goose wing to the dummy and work up to the whole bird from there. My nephew called it feather shy. Who knew :?: Now he will bring me almost anything i set him on...even my daughters cat...haha...You should see the full grown cat being carried like a kitten. She gets a little upset with him but has not put the claws to him for it..
firewokey

Return to Gun Dog Forum