All puppy wants to do is play with cat

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: All puppy wants to do is play with cat

Postby Olly » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:50 am

derekj85 wrote:Just got my new puppy and all she wants to do is play with the cat is this ok or should I separate them.

Formal OB usually doesn't start until about 6 months you can work on basic "no", "sit", and "stay" until then but other than that let the pup be a puppy. Playing with the cat at this stage won't hurt a thing.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Having just worked through the puppy stage with an established older cat, I'd say let the puppy do his thing. Best that they try to get along now and grow to be pals if possible. Also might teach your pup that cats aren't to be hassled, usually bearing claws!
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Get rid of the cat.

But that was my answer before you got the puppy.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:42 am

I'm thinking thank the cat for giving Pup something to burn energy on.
Rick

Postby parsonrider » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Well I guess it is better to socialize the two so they become friends. It is better than having to patch the dog up because the cat clawed it.
Diplomacy: The art of telling a man to go to @#$%, and making them look forward to the trip.
May those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn the heart. But if he can't turn their heart, may he turn their ankle so we'll know them by their limping.
parsonrider

Return to Gun Dog Forum