Hot spot? Stress? anxiety?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Hot spot? Stress? anxiety?

Postby Darren » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:51 am

In the last couple of weeks my hunting golden retriever has developed a patch on his arm he keeps licking. Vet buddy seems to think it's likely stress/anxiety driven since we just added a baby into the house 3 weeks ago. We've been trying to wrap it and treat it topically but the wraps don't last too long on there without him gnawing at it. We catch him licking it incessantly which is keeping it raw. Suggestions?

It's been hard to decipher whether he's licking it because of stress/anxiety OR licking it (to self treat it) just as he would any wound on his or my body.

The top part is where it started (gray) and appears to be healing, the lower (pink) part is the newest location

IMG_2555.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Re: Hot spot? Stress? anxiety?

Postby DukMan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:23 am

Had the same type of issue with my pup when we brought home our second dog. Might want to think about putting something on to dry it up and make it taste bad. We picked up some cow tit iodine from Farm and Fleet and put that on there. It'll keep any bacteria from growing, dry it up, and prevent him from licking on it.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 am

Yeah. Something that tastes bad.
The problem is anxiety.
Suggest working the pup out a lot and keep it tired.
It's rough but I think the dog is jealous and needs attention.

My first lab had separation anxiety real bad. We kept him in a kennel whenever we were gone or else.
He chewed on himself a couple weeks or a month and then got over being caged. That dog had some odd quirks. For instance he learned how to open doors and get into the pantry. He always would eat a loaf of bread.

Gonna break my own rule and post a picture of stuff I killed. I guess it's ok because the statute of limitations is way past on those geese. ;) I think the picture is from 1990?
The only pics of Blackie I have are with dead birds. One heck of a dog there.
20161026_110544.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 am

thanks guys, that makes sense. I've been working him every day in preparation for the upcoming season, and he's had more attention and overall company than ever because my wife is home during the day instead of at work.

Think he needs some serious workouts/outings that will only come with marsh therapy, so if he could just hang on another couple of weeks.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:38 am

Darren wrote:thanks guys, that makes sense. I've been working him every day in preparation for the upcoming season, and he's had more attention and overall company than ever because my wife is home during the day instead of at work.

Think he needs some serious workouts/outings that will only come with marsh therapy, so if he could just hang on another couple of weeks.
'zactly. The issue you'll have next is balancing family, fun, work, dog, holidays etc.

You're in a tough place for a waterfowler. Keep that in mind and it helps to mention to the wife how much she means to you and I mean constantly. Buy her something nice like a huge zircon that looks like a million bucks. It'll pay off. Got my wife one of them necklaces with 3 "diamonds" way back when I was where you're at. Everyone thinks it's real and she lets them think it.

Then one day she'll help you clean ducks, decide she does it better, and BAM...you've got it made. :clap:
aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Salt will dry it up. I know it'll burn the shit out of the dog but it won't last long. This time of year I get cracked lips being outside. When the shit refuses to heal I pack the crack or sore full of table salt. Painful! Though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlintRiverFowler

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:42 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Salt will dry it up. I know it'll burn the shit out of the dog but it won't last long. This time of year I get cracked lips being outside. When the shit refuses to heal I pack the crack or sore full of table salt. Painful! Though.

Are you kidding?
My hands get so cracked up that I've tried all sorts of things. Did you ever try washing them with salty water?

Just this week my own dog Milo had some sort of abrasion between or under one of his toes on his front paw. He was limping pretty good. Could not find a cause other than a tiny raw spot. Made him soak his paw in epsom salt solution and he got better real quick. I figured "what could it hurt?". Could tell that it helped. He was limping less after one treatment of about 2 minutes.
Watching him hobble around was rough. He's 100% better now.
aunt betty

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:06 am

aunt betty wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Salt will dry it up. I know it'll burn the shit out of the dog but it won't last long. This time of year I get cracked lips being outside. When the shit refuses to heal I pack the crack or sore full of table salt. Painful! Though.

Are you kidding?
My hands get so cracked up that I've tried all sorts of things. Did you ever try washing them with salty water?

Just this week my own dog Milo had some sort of abrasion between or under one of his toes on his front paw. He was limping pretty good. Could not find a cause other than a tiny raw spot. Made him soak his paw in epsom salt solution and he got better real quick. I figured "what could it hurt?". Could tell that it helped. He was limping less after one treatment of about 2 minutes.
Watching him hobble around was rough. He's 100% better now.

I'm not kidding, it hurts but it's worth it.

FlintRiverFowler

Return to Gun Dog Forum