Retrieving dogs

Everything Duck Dogs!

Retrieving dogs

Postby Josh carpenter » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 am

Any body have or know a standard poodle breeder that uses them for hunting?
Josh carpenter

Re: Retrieving dogs

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:34 am

Josh carpenter wrote:Any body have or know a standard poodle breeder that uses them for hunting?

No. I've never seen a poodle but once. I thought you wanted this..he's no poodle.
Resized_20220625_062847(1).jpeg

I bought Milet from Yankeegray. $500 Picked up the last day of season 2021. It was a backyard bred thing and is so right I'd do it again.
Millet has a sister named Ellie that weighs 84# last time they checked.
Big part English bred dogs.
I got lucky as heck I hope you do too.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:00 pm

Josh carpenter wrote:Any body have or know a standard poodle breeder that uses them for hunting?

I hope you're asking for a friend that you hate.
Jimmy

Postby Josh carpenter » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 pm

Serious , whole family is allergic to dogs so needs to be hypoallergenic, the reason they lost favor is they are a lot of upkeep on their coat ,
Josh carpenter

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:32 am

Thought I'd read somewhere that no dog is really hypoallergenic, took a moment to check for valid medical reference and found this from the Cleveland Clinic, which is generally about as official as one can get: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/are-any-dogs-hypoallergenic/

Poodles are on their better odds for less reaction list, but if the few I've seen at retriever hunt tests were representative, I might well take my chances with an Irish water spaniel, none of which I've ever seen work.
Rick

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:24 am

Josh carpenter wrote:Serious , whole family is allergic to dogs so needs to be hypoallergenic, the reason they lost favor is they are a lot of upkeep on their coat ,

Rick is correct and Poodles were never really in favor as a gun dog. Heck, even on Duck Dynasty Uncle Si could only do an episode using a Poodle to pick up a couple of Doves. If you pursue a Poodle and see a hunt titled dog or pairing, look at how many tests those dogs ran to get it. Passes = number of tests run by clubs that pass anything.

You'll have a big enough risk/challenge with an IWS but between the two is your better choice.

Poodles are smart and so are Ferrets. Neither has the genetics or tools you need. Oh, and you'd pay a premium for the dog and get 5% worth.
Jimmy

Postby Josh carpenter » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:04 pm

I know louter creek , haven’t seen any activity recently, and don’t have Facebook
Josh carpenter

Postby Jimmy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:45 am

Josh carpenter wrote:I know louter creek , haven’t seen any activity recently, and don’t have Facebook

Their lead and "famous" dog Copper is probably the "best" you'll ever find in a Poodle. And only took thousands and thousands of dollars in ongoing training to achieve "titles". Heck, the entry fees to get there was probably another thousands and thousands of dollars.

But seeing is believing. Find your closest hunt test and go watch if a Poodle is running in AKC senior or better. Take what you see, consider the training $$ it took. Then see if you really want one.

Do nothing based on "breeders" claims or "hunt test" titles.
Jimmy

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:53 pm

Josh carpenter wrote:I know louter creek , haven’t seen any activity recently, and don’t have Facebook

You want a "meat dog" right?
Titles and breeding don't really matter if that's the case.
My best meat dog was a mutt named Buddy that HAD A BLUE EYE and a kink in his tail.
No reason to not get a poodle I've seen one retrieve ducks.
At least get a black one.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:You want a "meat dog" right?
My best meat dog was a mutt named Buddy that HAD A BLUE EYE and a kink in his tail.

Perhaps you're using "meat dog" in its pejorative form, instead of denoting dogs that get the job done. Breeding isn't everything, but it's dang sure big, whether you luck into a dog with the right aptitudes and attitude or hedge your bet with care.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 pm

Rick wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:You want a "meat dog" right?

Perhaps you're using "meat dog" in its pejorative form, instead of denoting dogs that get the job done. Breeding isn't everything, but it's dang sure big, whether you luck into a dog with the right aptitudes and attitude or hedge your bet with care.
Buddy was a neighbors idea.
They saw an ad so we went and looked. The wife touched puppy and...too late.
Turns out that dog was a natural UNTIL water was involved..
Oh shit. This is "The Dog Forum"
Ir is well known that i don't know a thing about dogs
Sorry.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:54 am

How'd it end up Josh?
Are you Josh from Ludlow?
OIC. Ohio.
That'd be no.
Oops
Ricky Spanish