Reaper vs A Diving Goose

Postby PorkChop » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:12 pm

He got it pretty quick

PorkChop

Re: Reaper vs A Diving Goose

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:38 am

Careful.
Was bragging on muh dog one morning.
Just then he crawled up onto the bow, made a perfect coil of dog stank then washed it in with about 2 quarts of pee.
Good dawg!...lol
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:41 am

Marsh's first diving goose was a complete cluster flutch:

And he still hasn't mastered goose doubles:
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:22 am

Last year I shot a honker dead .
My puppy looked at it and said "nah".
8 weeks later he was retrieving mallards.
Next time I'll wing one and it'll get ugly.
Hope not.
Won't be long and we get to see your dog covered in ice.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Deltaman » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:04 am

Dang, what a show that was, and amazing how he stayed on it. Started laughing when that bird tried to get away twice while he was exiting the ditch. Oh hell naw, you aint getting back in that water Mr. Speck!!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby PorkChop » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:05 am

Rick wrote:Marsh's first diving goose was a complete cluster flutch:

And he still hasn't mastered goose doubles:

That first one was a heckuva workout! I’m guessing you are using your phone and just holding it sideways?
PorkChop

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:37 pm

PorkChop wrote:That first one was a heckuva workout! I’m guessing you are using your phone and just holding it sideways?

No, I was still using cheap flips that wouldn't shoot video but I didn't mind drowning as frequently as mine swim when that was taken and still haven't figured out downloading from the much smarter than me and much more waterproof phone I now have. Haven't tried hard yet, because I usually carry a little belt-holstered "travel-zoom" camera I do at least kinda-sorta understand and can readily download to youtube from.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:50 pm

Deltaman wrote:Dang, what a show that was, and amazing how he stayed on it. Started laughing when that bird tried to get away twice while he was exiting the ditch. Oh hell naw, you aint getting back in that water Mr. Speck!!!!!!!

When I'm bringing on pups, I keep a couple wing-clipped drake English callers (hens are too noisy) to help lover the crippled bird learning curve. Timing and gators meant doing that with him in flooded rice second crop, which differs from deep water, but was more fun to watch and taught him perseverance:
CIMG0251a.jpg

CIMG0249a.jpg

CIMG0248a.jpg

CIMG0253a.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:58 pm

I took a couple of new guys this fall. The one guy had his young dog with. The dog had his first chance to retrieve a goose and it was a cripple.

This is how the goose was retrieved :lol:

You can see it floating out in front of the boat.

PXL_20211114_133827903.jpg

There's a peninsula just off the right of the picture. The goose swam up on the far side of that. He motored around and didn't see the goose. I told him to send his dog to look for it. Which he did. When the goose hopped in the water, the dog turned around and swam back to the boat :lol: :oops:

The goose swam right back towards the blind and I whacked it where it is floating.

I can't remember my dog's first cripple/diver, but man she lived for it. When the bird started swimming, she kicked it into a whole other gear. She was so excited, she would bark. No idea how to break her of that. Early on I didn't try because the last thing I wanted to do was break her drive for chasing cripples. Later on I didn't worry about it. After all we had just shot the shotguns so odds of it actually flaring birds was pretty slim. Even when she got old, chasing a cripple on the water, she'd still drive so hard and still bark :lol:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:38 pm

Much rather have 'em yip than quit.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:53 pm

It was more than a yip, but yep.
SpinnerMan

Return to Gun Dog Forum