Pa. N W zone

Moderator: capt1972

Re: Pa. N W zone

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:10 pm

At least you had the right weather! Sounds like a nice crisp day afield!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby don novicki » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:33 pm

It was........ :thumbsup:
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:00 pm

Too darn nice for duck hunting. Maybe a little cold and snow for this weekend but supposedly a warm up after that. Dec 5 is the last day here in the NW zone and so far its been hot hot hot this season and I dont mean bird wise. Come on cold weather.
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:49 am

Was scouting last Sat and Sun and there were geese in almost every field eating corn. Went out Monday and didn't see a thing. Been a very strange season so far and the inland season closes for goose a week from Sat and then doesn't open up until Dec 20. Duck is all done in the inland zone 12-5 and I will say that the duck hunting here is nonexistent. I will take a wild stab and say next year we will see a 3-30 day season because frankly the ducks just aren't making it at least out this way. From what I read, out West its even worse.
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:44 pm

It just keeps snowing and snowing. It is screwing up the goose hunting as it's impossible to get out into the fields and all the crops are buried. Im going to say there is at least 2 feet in the fields so hunting in them is out. Maybe a short warm up coming next week but it won't get rid of it all. I hope the snow quits for a while but anything is possible as the lake is still wide open and that means lake effect snow.......... :x
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:22 pm

Won't be long now. Oct 8 thru Dec 3 here in the NW Zone. They have finally done away with the Southern James Bay goose zone since the SJB geese haven't come thru this way in decades. Finishing up my last layout boat ever and giving it to a friend, who is much younger, so all I have to do is tag along. Hoping to slay some Blue Bills on Presque Isle.
don novicki

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:59 pm

Would love to see some photos of that boat Don!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby don novicki » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:49 am

I am a technology dolt, however I do know someone as a resource that can maybe put some pictures up. I finished glassing the boat this morning and am headed out to Lowes with my layout coat to get a paint match color so I can paint it up. Ordinarily I don't brag but I would put my spray shield design at the head of the pack for both ease of construction, and functionality. Personally I think it is the best shield out there and it took me no small amt of time to figure out how to make one without a machine shop handy. Once it's completely finished, hopefully by next week, I will have someone get some pics up and you guys can critique it. All I can say is that it kills Blue Bills just fine..., :beer:
don novicki

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:28 am

Looking forward to seeing it!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby don novicki » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:34 pm

Putting paint to it today, expect to have it done by mid next week will figure out how to post pics or have someone do it for me. Can't wait to get it out of my garage and onto the water....... Come on Oct 31st......
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Inland opener 10-8 did well. Got to marsh early and all you could hear was wood ducks squealing even in the pitch black. Tagged my birds and had a mallard hen plunge in but gave her a pass. There aren't many of them around any more. Had a squadron of 5 snipe scream over my head but they aren't in until next weekend. Supposed to be a lot colder next week so bring it n. One thing though, this place is a hot spot for geese but I didn't see or hear a goose, or another hunter all morning. Til next week.....
don novicki

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:27 pm

Nice start Don! Also nice not to see another hunter opening weekend!!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:09 am

don novicki wrote:...didn't see or hear...another hunter all morning.

Sweet.
Rick

Postby don novicki » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am

I'm anxious to get after the Snipe. We can tag them starting 10-15......
don novicki

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Posting on Don’s behalf:

Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby don novicki » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:29 pm

Thank You Duck Engineer for posting the pics of my layout. It's almost done, I have to screw in the seat, paint the spray shield and hardware, solder the tubing at the fore and aft shield hold up device, and just a few minor tweaks, then out it goes to my buddy, who is much younger and has a boat, and tag along with him from now on. For anyone interested it weighs approx 125 ( best guess), is 10' long, and is stable as heck. The well is 5- 7/8 deep and I have a full 12" of foot room so you can lay out there for hours without discomfort.
P.S. where you see those pouches of fabric towards the back of the boat those will require hand sewing, and once everything is painted, the canvas shrinks up and makes everything nice and tight and crisp looking/

Please feel free to critique. I can take it.
don novicki

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:35 pm

No critiques from me. That looks like some true craftsmanship went into it Don.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby 5 stand » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:41 pm

I have a lake that I sure would like to try that thing out in...I would own one of those if I could hunt Trigger out of it, and I liked to peel divers better than I do... Please don't take my post the wrong way, I do like your layout boat... No critic here...
5 stand

Postby don novicki » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:30 pm

I don't have a clue as to how many hours I have into it but if I were selling them, I doubt I could charge enough to make any money. With the price of lumber, AND the price of copper it was ridiculous. I originally wanted to make the spray shield our of 1-1/4" copper but the price was out of sight, so I used 3/4" instead. My wife will be happy when it's gone.........make room for the snow blower.

P.S. I have to trim off the excess fabric from inside the cockpit too......
don novicki

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:51 pm

What a cool layout boat!!!! A friend bought a Banks layout a few years ago, and we toyed with it a time or two. Does your layout have a concave bottom? Seems like that was a nice stabilizing feature of the boat, but the splash rails were much lower, and solid. I like your splash rail design much better :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:29 pm

Like green timber mallards, all God's waterfowlers should experience layout diver hunting at some point - though there were days on Lake Erie when I got pretty anxious for my turn in the tender.
Rick

Postby don novicki » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:39 pm

I do not have a concave bottom and wouldn't have any idea on how to build it. I dreamed this one up after building My first one from plans by an Erie guy, who is no longer with us, Jerry klein. Jerry not only built layouts but was an outstanding carver. Jerry's plans were very difficult to follow and his rib design was way too complicated to duplicate wit any regularity unless you had a wood working shop. So I set out to make it easier, not EASY but easier. My first boat leaked like a sieve. Once I dreamed up the design it was a challenge to get a proper boat made but I think I have succeeded. I can' t wait to get it into the water and slam my 2 Bills per day.

To the guys out there that have never tried it I hope you get an opportunity to try it out sometime. There is nothing like having a flock of Bills boring down the long lines trying to get into your spread.
don novicki

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:41 pm

don novicki wrote:I do not have a concave bottom and wouldn't have any idea on how to build it. I dreamed this one up after building My first one from plans by an Erie guy, who is no longer with us, Jerry klein. Jerry not only built layouts but was an outstanding carver. Jerry's plans were very difficult to follow and his rib design was way too complicated to duplicate wit any regularity unless you had a wood working shop. So I set out to make it easier, not EASY but easier. My first boat leaked like a sieve. Once I dreamed up the design it was a challenge to get a proper boat made but I think I have succeeded. I can' t wait to get it into the water and slam my 2 Bills per day.

To the guys out there that have never tried it I hope you get an opportunity to try it out sometime. There is nothing like having a flock of Bills boring down the long lines trying to get into your spread.

Who cleans up after I hurl my cookies from getting seasick? :lol:
J/K.
Ricky Spanish

Postby don novicki » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:42 pm

Zofran is your friend or you could just chuck over the side..... :lol: I know what you mean Rick..
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 am

Done done done........really done. :beer:
don novicki

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:47 pm

don novicki wrote:To the guys out there that have never tried it I hope you get an opportunity to try it out sometime. There is nothing like having a flock of Bills boring down the long lines trying to get into your spread.

:thumbsup:

As well as old squaw, white-winged scoters, goldeneye, redhead, bufflehead, ... All a lot of fun from a layout. Hope to add Common Eider and maybe others this winter in Maine.

First time I went out, I had over the course of probably an hour around 200 bluebills decoy in. Like pictures on a magazine cover. It was finding the ones that weren't bluebills after the first few minutes that was tricky :lol:

It is definitely something every waterfowler should do at least once.

Nice looking boat :thumbsup:

Ricky Spanish wrote:Who cleans up after I hurl my cookies from getting seasick?

I actually get very sea sick. I literally got sea sick at Sea World :lol: They had one of those rides on hydraulics that moves while watching a video screen. I didn't ruin everybody's day by puking, but damn I was close. To top it off, my wife was laughing her ass off as she watches me turn green :lol:

I have had good like with dramamine. I take one the night before and one about an hour or so before getting on the water or going to an amusement park. Finger's crossed. I have never had a problem when I've done that.
SpinnerMan

Postby don novicki » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:18 pm

You are right Spinner, you never can tell what you might tag at Presque Isle. It's crowded now though, every johnny come lately has a layout and some big tender.Gone are the days of the 14' Lund with a 9.9 Now there are 6-7 boxes/day crowding the Bay........
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:52 pm

A good day out 10-18-22. Despite a death march in and out of this place the day was overall pretty decent. Watched several flocks of teal drift in to a pond not far from where I was, and had a nice flock of mallards, yes mallards 15-18, go right over my head but high. I thought they were going to turn and come in but they continued westward to points unknown. Several woodies worked the spread but wouldn't commit except for one hen that came in like a shot, and lit about 20 feet in front of me. I try not to water swat so she got a pass. Sat for about 3 hrs before calling it a day. It was cold, wet and couldn't decide if it wanted to rain or snow so it did a little of each. A couple of falls on the way out, in about 10" of water, made sure I was soaked thru. Getting too old to hoof it a long way anymore esp. soaking wet. Still had a good time though.Was dead last night........ :thumbsup:
don novicki

Postby Deltaman » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:25 pm

Glad you got out and hunted, and well understand the slog factor!!!!! Thanks for the report Don :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby don novicki » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:04 pm

Weather coming Sat. and my one cornfield is being harvested as we speak. WSW wind predicted which isn't optimal but it's suppose to rain and maybe spit snow in the a.m.. These geese won't know what hit em. If they show. Actually picked up a new farm tonight. Haven't stopped at too many places anymore because you usually hear NO but the farmer was a young guy and he said have at em. Helps to be old I think. This place can get hot esp. when it's later on in the year. I'm stoked..... :thumbsup:
don novicki

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting Forum