Coastal Alabama Report

Coastal Alabama Report

Postby Deltaman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:50 am

Date:12/26/16

Time:morning-afternoon (9:00 a.m. - 4:59 p.m.).......long day!

Cloud Cover: cloudy

Wind Direction and Velocity: E to SE 5-10 mph

Temperature: Too Mild

Barometer:

Moon phase:

Special Notes: Ganged up birds know the game

Waterfowl Activity: Ducks -- some, but very educated, Geese --A pleasant surprise

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Very skittish, and most pulled away by large groups sitting several hundred yards away.

Hunters: Dustin (stepson), and myself

Guns: Benelli Super Black Eagle X2

Malfunctions: None

Dog(s):

Special Equipment: Lone Snow Goose Decoy close to duck spread

Kudos: Spotted several Canada's to our West, heading South out into the bay. Started mouth calling them for the hell of it (don;t own a goose call), and damn if they didn't turn and come in like they were on a string. Earlier, after an hour of no birds, I had already unloaded and cased my gun, planning to pick up dekes and move to a different spot. It was all I could do to get it back out and loaded before they pitched, with me yelping the whole time.......and my step[son laughing his ass off at the sounds coming out of my mouth.

curses:The birds know the game, and not enough wind to make them do anything different,. Was still a better hunt than we have been having lately, so I will not complain.

Birds By Species: 3 Canadas, 3 Gadwalls, 1 Goldeneye, 1 Redhead, and a hooded Merg.

Had originally planed to do a fishing trip today, and took along a 30/30 in case we ran into a pig, and a shotgun for picking off squirrels as we eased along a creek fishing. Most of our hunting area is closed on Monday and Tuesday, but South of the causeway is open 7-days a week. As we breached the top of Tensaw River Bridge, we both noticed the 5-600 ducks feeding South of the causeway (legal all week), and not a hunter in sight. Sat there glassing and pondering, and decided to go back home and reload. Said screw fishing, there were ducks to be hunted!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Coastal Alabama Report

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Pretty dang fine Plan B.
Rick

Postby simplepeddler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:48 pm

Dayang!!
simplepeddler

Postby don novicki » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:15 am