39 Duck Decoys for Sale

Re: 39 Duck Decoys for Sale

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:27 am

Ok guys I think this one is real. If you're a collector you better buy them. The two companies he listed don't make decoys and haven't since the 1900's. They probably even have glass eyes.

Try harder to post the pics.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 am

I've got some, and up close, those old Victor decoys look fake, but from a short distance, they look pretty good, and love the silouette. They have been relegated to a box in the garage for many years, along with a bunch of old Herter's foam/wood decoys given to me by a retired oral surgeon. Also have several of the old paper mache Mallard decoys, a few old handmade wooden coots, and some of the old machined wooden decoys. My den shelves on both sides of the fireplace, are full of them, along with a selection of old paper shells, Indian Pottery from some of the old shell mittens in the delta. Have also found several of the old clay whiskey jugs, the ones they used a corn cob for the cap. Love that old stuff, and have been scavenging it for years, mostly when hunting the bank on slow, low tide days. Have found many old medicine bottles, and assuming the old timers took codeine?? with them. Also, have a few of the old brass shells that the market hunters used to reload. Love finding little pieces of history, and can only imagine what it was like for them back then. Loads of birds, but shitty clothing, paper shells, outboards that may or may not run. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, we had a Johnson Seahorse 18 hp on a 12' Glass magic (Skeeter boat), and as a kid, remember a brand of motor called Wizard, that I would see on a lot of the boats at the time. My how times have changed, eh?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:16 am

Dang you sound like me. I guess we all got the same disease.
There isn't anywhere in the house except the kitchen that don't have a duck decoy or at least pictures.
My first boat was an old Herters Hudson Bay. Someone had converted it to a fishing boat so I converted it back.
Thirteen feet of awesome.
Had a pair of antique Martin motors that belonged in a museum. One was for parts.
If I'd had an old 55 Chevy pickup to complete the picture would have been cool.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:22 am

AB, my best friend and duck hunting partner had an old, mostly brass 3 hp that we used on our duck sneaks. It started in gear, had the gas tank on top, and reverse was merely a matter of turning the motor around. loved that old thing, and ti save us a lot of push-poling and paddling. Unfortunately, he loaned it to a friend, who had it on a boat that sank, and didn't realize it until it was too late.............frickin idjit! One of our local seafood restaurants has one of the best collection of old motors that I have ever seen, strung up on the walls throughout, very cool, and all of them are in damn near mint condition.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 am

My old Martin was nice to look at but on the water it was hell to keep running. Ever have blisters between your fingers from pulling a rope too much? Buy an antique boat motor to experience that.
aunt betty

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting Forum