UDS- TK

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Re: UDS- TK

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 31, 2013 1:51 pm

assateague wrote:Red, I didn't wire brush or sand the inside of mine at all. I think you only have to do that to the food grade ones, with the epoxy coating on the inside.
shit really? I can't just burn it out huh
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 31, 2013 2:13 pm

assateague wrote:Red, I didn't wire brush or sand the inside of mine at all. I think you only have to do that to the food grade ones, with the epoxy coating on the inside.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Fri May 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Redbeard wrote:

This project is a little more involved than you had hoped, huh Aaron?
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Mine had some red rubber lining on the inside. You HAVE to burn the shit out of it to be safe. After that, rough clean the stuff still hanging onto the inside. I then coated the inside with cooking oil and lit some charcoal to season it. This left a nice, sticky oily black coating to prevent rust.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 31, 2013 2:43 pm

flight control wrote:Mine had some red rubber lining on the inside. You HAVE to burn the shit out of it to be safe. After that, rough clean the stuff still hanging onto the inside. I then coated the inside with cooking oil and lit some charcoal to season it. This left a nice, sticky oily black coating to prevent rust.
gotcha thanks FC
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 31, 2013 2:44 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

I ain't skeered!
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Redbeard wrote:

I don't know. Mine didn't have a liner. I just burned the hell out of it, until it appeared to be a raw metal barrel, took about 6 hours of a BIG burn.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 31, 2013 3:36 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

I don't know. Mine didn't have a liner. I just burned the hell out of it, until it appeared to be a raw metal barrel, took about 6 hours of a BIG burn.
kind of a stupid question but how exactly did ya burn it out?
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 3:39 pm

I got some scraps of wood going, and then went over to the neighbors, where he has a lot of scrubwood which was cut down and left about a year ago. I drug some of those small trees home with a chain behind the Jeep, and then cut them the height of the barrel, minus about 6 inches. That way I got a good burn all the way up. (I did drill the three holes in the bottom for the pipe nipples first, which gave it a REALLY good burn) But really, if it's a food grade barrel, I don't think you have to burn it- just start brushing that liner out. From what I read, the burn won't make a difference when it comes to getting that crap out.

I did do a "test" burn in mine to coat the inside. After only one burn, it looked like the inside had been hit with a shiny bedliner.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 31, 2013 4:01 pm

assateague wrote:I got some scraps of wood going, and then went over to the neighbors, where he has a lot of scrubwood which was cut down and left about a year ago. I drug some of those small trees home with a chain behind the Jeep, and then cut them the height of the barrel, minus about 6 inches. That way I got a good burn all the way up. (I did drill the three holes in the bottom for the pipe nipples first, which gave it a REALLY good burn) But really, if it's a food grade barrel, I don't think you have to burn it- just start brushing that liner out. From what I read, the burn won't make a difference when it comes to getting that crap out.

I did do a "test" burn in mine to coat the inside. After only one burn, it looked like the inside had been hit with a shiny bedliner.
ok so I'll have to brush all that liner out huh. I know these are stupid questions but just wanna get squared away before I start. And mine is food grade from our local creamery
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm not sure if they all have that epoxy liner. The liners I've seen were sort of reddish/orangish.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

just picked up a new wire cup brush for my grinder. Couldn't find my old one. Ginna give er hell tomorrow
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:31 pm

flight control wrote:Red I tried something like that and couldn''t get a good burn. You need air circulation through the coals. 18" sounds big, but you might be able to use it to catch your ashes
IMG702.jpg

IMG701.jpg
I'm gonna give this a shot. If it don't work...oh well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370111473.342800.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370111489.443941.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm

I was thinking about that, and meant to text you back yesterday. You may want to just cut the bottom out completely, low enough to still give the grate a place to rest, but with a pretty big hole in the bottom to let the ash fall. I expect that might work pretty well, but I really don't know what the eff I'm talking about. Just seems like it'd work from a common sense persepctive. Ditch the whole bottom 1/4 of that old grill.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Smoking the inside now with wood chips. We'll see how this thing works
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370112153.018842.jpg
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:43 pm

assateague wrote:I was thinking about that, and meant to text you back yesterday. You may want to just cut the bottom out completely, low enough to still give the grate a place to rest, but with a pretty big hole in the bottom to let the ash fall. I expect that might work pretty well, but I really don't know what the eff I'm talking about. Just seems like it'd work from a common sense persepctive. Ditch the whole bottom 1/4 of that old grill.
you're probably right. We'll see how this first test run works
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 pm

If that bung is threaded, I saw one guy who got a threaded piece of 2" to screw in for a little smoke stack. Probably unnecessary, but it looks cool.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:58 pm

assateague wrote:If that bung is threaded, I saw one guy who got a threaded piece of 2" to screw in for a little smoke stack. Probably unnecessary, but it looks cool.
it is and I'm thinking bout it. Anything to make Black Betty look cooler than TK's!!
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:06 pm

A smoker is in my future. Taking 3 of these babies home with me.

Hush hush 3geese

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Redbeard wrote:
assateague wrote:If that bung is threaded, I saw one guy who got a threaded piece of 2" to screw in for a little smoke stack. Probably unnecessary, but it looks cool.
it is and I'm thinking bout it. Anything to make Black Betty look cooler than TK's!!

That won't take very much Aaron as mine is really not all that cool it just get the job done.

Assateague already has a better one than me because he put a proper smokestack on the lid

J & B .....it whispers
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

What are they? They look huge.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:31 pm

assateague wrote:

They hold the guidance section of a GBU-12. They are 60 gallons. A tad shorter than a standard 55, but about 3" wider.

Should still work right? I hope...
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Should work. Don't know why it wouldn't. Although you're going to have a bitch of a time finding a "standard" round grill grate that will fit in it. May have to make one yourself.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
assateague wrote:

They hold the guidance section of a GBU-12. They are 60 gallons. A tad shorter than a standard 55, but about 3" wider.

Should still work right? I hope...
it'll never work. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE PLANS
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 pm

You're just mad because he's not going to have to have his head jammed in it for 3 hours grinding epoxy off the inside.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:54 pm

assateague wrote:You're just mad because he's not going to have to have his head jammed in it for 3 hours grinding epoxy off the inside.
true. That pissed me off
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:55 pm

BAM. Found this in the garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370116489.504613.jpg
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:55 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
assateague

Postby flight control » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Nice work Red. 50/50 chance that grill will work properly
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

PreviousNext

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden