First Guns

Re: First Guns

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 am

My dad bought me a Ruger 10/22 when I was born. My first shotgun was a Remington 870 20 ga magnum that I got when I was 11.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Redbeard » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 am

First guns were a Remington 1100 20 ga and a marlin model 60. Got em both when I was bout 10. Still have em. The marlin doesn't feed well anymore. Sam loves shootin clays with the 1100.
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:10 am

Redbeard wrote:First guns were a Remington 1100 20 ga and a marlin model 60. Got em both when I was bout 10. Still have em. The marlin doesn't feed well anymore. Sam loves shootin clays with the 1100.

What do you carry as your service guns?
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:16 am

Tomkat wrote:
Redbeard wrote:First guns were a Remington 1100 20 ga and a marlin model 60. Got em both when I was bout 10. Still have em. The marlin doesn't feed well anymore. Sam loves shootin clays with the 1100.

What do you carry as your service guns?

smith and Wesson 4006tsw. Not by choice. But if I ever run outta bullets, I could use it as a bludgeon
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:23 am

What would be your choice if they let you have anything? Glock? Sig?

I bought my wife an XD9 for her birthday. Its a great gun, I want to get one in .40 for me LOL
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 am

Tomkat wrote:What would be your choice if they let you have anything? Glock? Sig?

I bought my wife an XD9 for her birthday. Its a great gun, I want to get one in .40 for me LOL

never shot a Sig so can't speak for them. Obviously an HK would be sweet but not anywhere near the realm of reality. I'd be very excited with Glocks. Can't beat em for what we do. No bells. No whistles. Just draw and shoot
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 am

Redbeard wrote:
Tomkat wrote:What would be your choice if they let you have anything? Glock? Sig?

never shot a Sig so can't speak for them. Obviously an HK would be sweet but not anywhere near the realm of reality. I'd be very excited with Glocks. Can't beat em for what we do. No bells. No whistles. Just draw and shoot

That is what is so cool about the XD9. I shot DJJ's XD40 compact, it has a lot of muzzle jump. I am thinking the larger version would be good, too.

I shot my neighbors Model 19 Glock, it was pretty nice.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 pm

Having had an XD40 and a Glock 27, I will say the clock is far, far more accurate, especially for follow up shots, even with it being a subcompact. It's a piece of cake to put 10 rounds in a 4" circle in 5 seconds at about 15 feet. I'm no Don Taylor, so anything further than 15 feet, and I'm running away, not fighting it out. I think it's the trigger on the Glock- far better than the XD, in my opinion.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm

assateague wrote:Having had an XD40 and a Glock 27, I will say the clock is far, far more accurate, especially for follow up shots, even with it being a subcompact. It's a piece of cake to put 10 rounds in a 4" circle in 5 seconds at about 15 feet. I'm no Don Taylor, so anything further than 15 feet, and I'm running away, not fighting it out. I think it's the trigger on the Glock- far better than the XD, in my opinion.

did you ever shoot the XDM ? That one has an improved trigger....
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:37 pm

No, I never have. I do love the Glovk though. It "points" far better than my XD did, but that's probably an individual thing, not a gun thing.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Do these xd's have decocking levers, safeties, exposed hammers, etc? Don't know anything about em. In our line of work we want the simplest and most reliable product
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:14 pm

They are similar to a Glock in many ways and unique in a few others. Here is a link to their site; its really worth looking at.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

I was surprised at how much I liked it...because I bought it for the wife. I kept hoping she would want something else and just let me have it, but after she shot it there was no getting it away from her.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Redbeard wrote:Do these xd's have decocking levers, safeties, exposed hammers, etc? Don't know anything about em. In our line of work we want the simplest and most reliable product

No. Basically function exactly like a Glock- internal hammer, no safety, etc. IMO, the biggest difference is the trigger. The trigger in the XD sucks, but as TK said, the XDM is supposed to be an improvement.
assateague

Postby huntntech » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm

I have shot the XD and the XDM. The XDM trigger is a lot better. I didn't care for the XD, but I am now on the hunt for an XDM. I just can't find one anywhere.
huntntech

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:56 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Do these xd's have decocking levers, safeties, exposed hammers, etc? Don't know anything about em. In our line of work we want the simplest and most reliable product

No. Basically function exactly like a Glock- internal hammer, no safety, etc. IMO, the biggest difference is the trigger. The trigger in the XD sucks, but as TK said, the XDM is supposed to be an improvement.

A couple of neat things about the XD-

Exposed cocking pin indicator
Trigger safety

I have shot several glocks. I personally didnt see a HUGE difference in the trigger pulls between the two, but as AT says, thats probably more of a personal thing than a gun thing. I do know that the XD is a quality gun that is often overlooked.
Tomkat

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:13 pm

My results were dead on with Assa's. couldn't stand the trigger or trigger reset so it went on down the road. As well no experience with the XDM
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

assateague wrote:

interesting. Same reliability?
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:01 pm

assateague wrote:

Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Damn Red, 20 mins on that Redbeardage. You have grown into your Global Mod shoes I see.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 am

First gun I bought was a 20g benelli nova on my birthday when I was finally old enough to buy one. I had a single shot 16 before that.
Bulldog0156

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:59 am

Benjamin Sheridan Air Rifle.... age 6

12 gauge Wingmaster.... age 8

270 Winchester model 70.... age 11
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:27 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Benjamin Sheridan Air Rifle.... age 6

You aunt bettying threads now? Those benjamins are bad ass. I've still got the one from when I was a kid, and shoots just as good as ever.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 am

Redbeard wrote:
assateague wrote:

As far as I know, yes. Made for tactical use by PD's
Tomkat

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 am

rebelp74 wrote:

You aunt bettying threads now? Those benjamins are bad ass. I've still got the one from when I was a kid, and shoots just as good as ever.

:lol: Oh you know it.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby bill herian » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 am

Bolt action .410

I think its one that you ordered out of the Sears Roebuck catalog. It was my uncle's dog shooting gun when he was young.
bill herian

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 am

I got a single shot Springfield 20 ga from my grandpa when I was 6. It has been passed down in my family for many years. I don't know what model it is, the only stamps on it other that the serial number are Springfield Arms Company (or something along those lines, I don't think it says Springfield armory, since it is older than Springfield armory inc.) and 2.0 ga

I decided I wanted more than one shot and started picking up aluminum cans, and collecting cans after they were used for 2 years and bought a youth model 870 20 ga when I was 8 1/2

Then my dad built me a deer rifle when I was 9. He took an old Springfield 1903 30-06, and made it a .243.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

:lol: Oh you know it.

Next time something gets fucked up...it's rebelp'd.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby RonE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:36 pm

First gun was given to me by my Uncle when I was 8, got to take it home when I was 12. It was a single shot Remington .22. Gave that gun to my nephew when he was 12 and my sister had a shit fit. My nephew works for Homeland Security (ICE) and still has the rifle. The first gun I personally bough was an Italian Carcano 7.35 that I got on sale for $7.95. I went through a garbage can full of rifles to pick the one that I liked the best. First shotgun was a 20 ga Stevens pump that my brother still has. First rifle I ever built was a Martini .310 cadet rifle that my high school auto shop teacher and I re-barrelled and re-bushed the firing pin and chambered in .218 Bee. We did this in the high school metal shop after school. I can hardly believe that we built a rifle in a Cupertino, California high school. Things were different then.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Previous

Return to Rifle Forum