Long line rigging and deployment

Everything Diver related.

Re: Long line rigging and deployment

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Slingshot wrote:Hey fella's we tarred are main lines to stop the slipping on the smaller lines but its not pretty but it works.It also helps the rope sink and stay down in faster current.

I just buy mine already tarred.
QH's Paw

Postby Slingshot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:48 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
Slingshot wrote:Hey fella's we tarred are main lines to stop the slipping on the smaller lines but its not pretty but it works.It also helps the rope sink and stay down in faster current.

Thats cool! I wasn't aware you could buy your mains tarred , learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:
Team total asalt.
Modded 35 gdsd 1746xpress. Haulin the mail
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Location: Holder steady newt were headdin fer da tadder patch.

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Slingshot wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:

Thats cool! I wasn't aware you could buy your mains tarred , learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:

Here is the link, again, where you can buy it spooled and tarred. Also, the lines Doctari sells are tarred.

http://www.memphisnet.net/product/2212/ ... arredseine

You can also buy dropper lines tarred.

http://www.memphisnet.net/category/s?ke ... +36+tarred
QH's Paw

Postby Slingshot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:27 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
Slingshot wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:

Here is the link, again, where you can buy it spooled and tarred. Also, the lines Doctari sells are tarred.

http://www.memphisnet.net/product/2212/ ... arredseine

You can also buy dropper lines tarred.

http://www.memphisnet.net/category/s?ke ... +36+tarred

Thanks for the link bud.
Team total asalt.
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:40 pm

So Dan...can you post up some small basic spreads? I have 3 lines and I'll be in the 5 fow range with a boat blind.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Long line rigging and deployment

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Here's a couple that have worked for me, but this isn't rocket science.

I try to position the boat so that the birds aren't looking directly at the boat as the finish.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382144854.563956.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382144867.485529.jpg

Lots of guys with lots of experience here. Feel free to post up gents.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:06 am

Thanks!! That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wasn't sure.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:49 pm

I thought Dan had a nice boat. Not that piece of crap on the paper...
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I thought Dan had a nice boat. Not that piece of crap on the paper...

No, thats my piece of crap boat. He was making those for me. :-)
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Ok. Another question...I'm trying to do this on a budget and I'd like to add a little more visibly by adding a few black milk jugs with the decoys. Is it better to mix them in with all the decoys, or keeps them on the edges and away from the hole so the ducks don't focus on them as much.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 pm

just make some sleds out of scrap lumber.
http://tidewaterdecoys.com/decoys/sleds/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:12 pm

capt1972 wrote:just make some sleds out of scrap lumber.
http://tidewaterdecoys.com/decoys/sleds/

I thought about doing this this summer, then I completely forgot about it. Thanks for the link, Gonna get to work on some tomorrow.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby don novicki » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:28 pm

I use big line for my main line : 5/8" because big line doesn't tangle easily. I have 100' of main line, I leave 25' blank on each end to which I attach a 5lb window weight on each end. Can't have too much weight. At the 25' mark I start to place my dekes. I use G&H super mag Bills all the drakes are spray painted black, but I leave the hen's their natural color. Every 4' I place a decoy. I got tired of using the clips and all that clipping and unclipping. Now what I do is tie each decoy to the main line with a bow line knot. I pull it tight and then just use electrical tape to tape it's position on the main line. The knot is what actually holds the decoy in place but the tape just secures the decoys place to the main line. For droppers I cut 3' of 3/8 diamond braid line and again using a bow line knot I attach it to the decoy. I run 4 dzn dekes. The first three dozen I put in concentric circles around the layout at 10, 20 and 30 yards approx and then off the left hand side I leave a big pocket and then a single string of decoys at a bout a 45 degree angle from the layout. We were out today at Presque Isle State Park here in Erie Pa and had great shooting but it was over quick with the two bird limit. That's what I do.....
don novicki

Postby Travis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:59 pm

For the poor man long lines I use 3 plastic buckets for storage of main lines. Use a single or double masonry brick on each end. I put 70+ decoys . I lay the brick of one line in the bottom of 5 gallon paint bucket first and drop line in the bucket as u retrieve. The line seems to never tangle. To deploy just drop leading brick in water and clip decoys as you move until you have the brick at the other end. Holds in strong tides and can get buckets and lines at lowes cheap. I long line divers, snows and sea ducks with just three buckets. Each bucket has 2 main lines in it. One long and one short main lines. I also set my lines away from my blind of place to hunt then drag the line were I want it placed. Placement via dragging make getting your rig to look perfect the first time.
I often hunt alone and find this the easiest way to hunt safely in any weather. Setting out takes longer but pick up is painless.
Travis

Postby Goldfish » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:43 am

Have some questions. I'm just starting yo throw this stuff together

1: If I run a couple lines that only have a half dozen decoys, do I really need an anchor at the back end? Is it worth it to do 6 decoys on a line or at that point should I just do individual lines? I was planning on just a couple short lines for goldeneye and buffleheads to set to the side so we are still talking about having a decent number of decoys in the water, so individual lines gets old picking up.

2: The lakes and spots I'll hunt vary in depth from 4 foot of water, to 20. Anyone ever try carabiners at each end of the decoys, and just having different lengths of rope to attach the main line to the anchors?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby tucker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:17 am

Do away with clips.
Hard tie decoys to main line.
Deploy and recover to 50 gallon plastic barrels. Last in, first out. 200 decoys in 15 minutes.
tucker

Postby triplecurl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:41 pm

tucker wrote:Do away with clips.
Hard tie decoys to main line.
Deploy and recover to 50 gallon plastic barrels. Last in, first out. 200 decoys in 15 minutes.

^^this. I've done it both ways. This way is tough to beat.
triplecurl

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:13 pm

I've heard guys swear they'll never do without clips because of tangles. They also run longer drops tho for boats/dogs
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 pm

If you do get a tangle, clips will be worth having. Using witclipsh swivels also keeps your lines from kinking up.
Bufflehead

Postby don novicki » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:42 pm

where is everyone? :beer:
don novicki

Postby Goldfish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Around-ish
Goldfish

Postby don novicki » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:18 pm

I wish I knew how to post a pic. I have my layout that I would like you guys to look at to see what you think. Anyone offer any help with a pic..... :qh:
don novicki

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:42 am

I download everything I'm apt to want to put on the web to the photobucker.com host site, which is free, so the photos' links can be plugged directly into text here without costing this or other sites bandwidth. But you can also find the "upload attachment" tab below this site's reply box and go that route.
Rick

Postby don novicki » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:26 am

OK I will give it a try............. :thumbsup:
don novicki

Postby barenn » Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Not jackin your post Dan, found these at Princess Auto here in Ontario, they are steel and come with mounting bracket, used for air hose. They work fairly well. Can get about 300 ft on them.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
barenn

Postby Slingshot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:09 am

We layout hunt mostly and run 4 100ft an 4 140ft main lines with 12/15 decoys on each line, with redheads and bluebill only , sometimes with reds or blue only. We put buffleheads on a cross and we have 3 of those outside of the longlines this worked well for us last season. We also hunt two layouts as well. Are mainline is 1/4inch rope with 18 inch paracord drop tied right to the mainlines. We stop using the clips, and we NEVER have any tangles , we also bought the Collapsible Ryobi leaf bags from Lowes to put each set in , make setting out the lines and picking up a breeze. If hunting a Dog you will need at longer drop from the main so they dont get tangle in the lines. We had to stop hunting dogs were we are because of the sharks.
Team total asalt.
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting Forum