.45 acp small primers?

.45 acp small primers?

Postby R. Chapman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 pm

I found a bag of 45 brass that had small primer pockets instead of the normal large that someone gave me a while ago. I plan on loading some up but I'm wondering if I just use the same charge that I would use if a large primer was in place. I would think that increasing by say 1/2 a grain would give about the same velocity but am afraid as most of my loads run right about 2/10ths below maximum published data.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Re: .45 acp small primers?

Postby ea oneal » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 pm

that type brass was one time use plunking brass .low class stuff with lower power loads . look it over very very good . and work up to a full power load .shoot a few and look at the brass if you see any primer smoke marking around base junk it and move on.if you need some brass ill send you some u.s shot once stuff .I have a shet load I got off range at p-cola before I ret.
ea oneal

Postby R. Chapman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:41 pm

ea oneal wrote:that type brass was one time use plunking brass .low class stuff with lower power loads . look it over very very good . and work up to a full power load .shoot a few and look at the brass if you see any primer smoke marking around base junk it and move on.if you need some brass ill send you some u.s shot once stuff .I have a shet load I got off range at p-cola before I ret.

Thanks for the offer. I have about 100 pieces of Federal is what it is.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby huntall6 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:38 am

More and more are going with SPP. I have some from federal, blazer, and S&B. I have read that it really doesn't affect anything.
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 am

huntall6 wrote:More and more are going with SPP. I have some from federal, blazer, and S&B. I have read that it really doesn't affect anything.

Besides my CZ .223, I don't have any other need for small primers. I wonder if I use a Small Mag Pistol Primer, I could use the same charge. It would think the mag would be as hot but that's just my guess.
R. Chapman

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum