berger vld hunting

berger vld hunting

Postby chodebelding » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Looking to branch out with some different stuff for my '06 and these look pretty interesting. So my question is do any of you shoot these and how do you like them?
chodebelding

Re: berger vld hunting

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:48 pm

chodebelding wrote:Looking to branch out with some different stuff for my '06 and these look pretty interesting. So my question is do any of you shoot these and how do you like them?

I shoot them exclusively in my .25-06 Remington. They work tremendously on game, even at close range. I prefer them for small calibers (6mm Remington, .25-06 Remington, 6.5-284 Norma, .270 Winchester). Any other questions you need to know about them?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby assateague » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:51 pm

I think you mean "answers".
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:58 pm

assateague wrote:I think you mean "answers".

HALT!!! THE GRAMMAR NAZIS HAVE ARRIVED!!!
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 pm

R. Chapman wrote:

Grammar nazi and not making a bit of fucking sense are two different things duck penis.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby assateague » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:03 pm

R. Chapman wrote:

Better heil, bitches.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

Grammar nazi and not making a bit of fucking sense are two different things duck penis.

At least I'm not a goose vagina.
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:27 pm

I know a few people who swear by Berger bullets. From what I have seen, they work great and hardly bloodshot any meat.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:32 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:I know a few people who swear by Berger bullets. From what I have seen, they work great and hardly bloodshot any meat.

Nice avatar
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:I know a few people who swear by Berger bullets. From what I have seen, they work great and hardly bloodshot any meat.

Nice avatar

What would you do with a million dollars?

I'll tell you what I'd do man, two chicks at the same time man.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:24 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

Nice avatar

What would you do with a million dollars?

I'll tell you what I'd do man, two chicks at the same time man.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:59 pm

holy hell didnt think this thread would get any replies. Rex did you have a hard time getting them to shoot well? if you know do you know how far you are off the lands?
chodebelding

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:09 pm

chodebelding wrote:holy hell didnt think this thread would get any replies. Rex did you have a hard time getting them to shoot well? if you know do you know how far you are off the lands?

I go through I pretty rigorous process when find the perfect load with a bullet. The older ones used to always shoot better when really close to the lands and sometimes jammed into the lands. In my 6mm Remington, I have them sitting .030" off the lands with .008" of neck tension. The load with them will put 5 right at about 1/2" on most days. In the .270 Winchester, I have a load with the 140s that sit 0.005" off the lands with 0.004" of neck tension. Again puts 5 under 3/4" at 100.
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm

what kind of accuracy should one expect from loading a vld as he would any other bullet? I'm not looking to shoot one hole groups at 200 yds, but just 1-1.5 moa at 100 if i do my part.
Also how do you think of these for an elk bullet? behind the shoulder of course
chodebelding

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 pm

chodebelding wrote:what kind of accuracy should one expect from loading a vld as he would any other bullet? I'm not looking to shoot one hole groups at 200 yds, but just 1-1.5 moa at 100 if i do my part.
Also how do you think of these for an elk bullet? behind the shoulder of course

1"-1 1/2" groups are easily attainable with these bullets. They are a damn good elk bullet. I like them. My first elk was pointed vertically up a hill at 437 yards away. The 105 grain out of the 6mm Remington put him down. The elk I shot 2 years after that was with the .25-06 Remington and 115 berger. It was a 30 yard shot in the timber. On the run and was able to slip it behind the last rib. Put her down, and one more (wasn't quite dead yet). Like I've said, I like them and are one hell of a bullet.
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 pm

ok well you are one convincing fellow rex. time to buy some 168gr bergers and work up a load. i only have 6 months and 19 days
chodebelding

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 pm

chodebelding wrote:ok well you are one convincing fellow rex. time to buy some 168gr bergers and work up a load. i only have 6 months and 19 days

You could work up a load in 2 weeks that could drive tacks. Give you something to do in the meantime anyways.
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure I've met you before. Wasn't that you that me and huntfishnv met at lake helena wma sometime in late nov. or early dec.???
chodebelding

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:39 pm

What's the difference between Berger vld and Barnes triple shok? Because I get those in every round I possibly can. Deader than 2 hammers. Love those bullets.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:41 pm

chodebelding wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure I've met you before. Wasn't that you that me and huntfishnv met at lake helena wma sometime in late nov. or early dec.???

Think so. I know I met HFNV at the lake with someone else that was with him. I can't remember who it was.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:42 pm

assateague wrote:What's the difference between Berger vld and Barnes triple shok? Because I get those in every round I possibly can. Deader than 2 hammers. Love those bullets.

Bergers are designed to go about 3-5 inches into the animal then expolding basically. Barnes and other bullets of the like (bonded) are meant to hold together through expansion and pass completely through.
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm

assateague wrote:What's the difference between Berger vld and Barnes triple shok? Because I get those in every round I possibly can. Deader than 2 hammers. Love those bullets.

tsx= all copper construction = penetration
vld= led and copper jacket = meant to separate copper and lead and cause tons of internal damage
chodebelding

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
chodebelding wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure I've met you before. Wasn't that you that me and huntfishnv met at lake helena wma sometime in late nov. or early dec.???

Think so. I know I met HFNV at the lake with someone else that was with him. I can't remember who it was.

Maybe it was his brother?
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

R. Chapman wrote:

Bergers are designed to go about 3-5 inches into the animal then expolding basically. Barnes and other bullets of the like (bonded) are meant to hold together through expansion and pass completely through.

think we posted at the same time haha.
no that was me. I'm his brother.
chodebelding

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:46 pm

chodebelding wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

think we posted at the same time haha.
no that was me. I'm his brother.

Ok, yeah you killed a hen or something like that. Place was dead and I was on the point with a layout blind.
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:51 pm

haha ya. we put the f#cking to em once it warmed up
chodebelding

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 pm

They make Barnes in a 7.5?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 pm

I don't think the TSXs I've used were all copper. I recovered one from a deer, and it was blown open pretty good, and in almost positive the center was lead. But this was about 4 years ago, with the .25-06 I no longer have.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 pm

chodebelding wrote:haha ya. we put the f#cking to em once it warmed up

I remember now. It was the first Saturday of Thanksgiving break. I had to take off to go get camp set up. That was a bitch and a half.
R. Chapman

Next

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum