Cordless string trimmer?

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Cordless string trimmer?

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:43 am

A few years back I got a cordless hedge clipper and I love that thing. You can toss it in the shed, forget about it and never have to worry about carbs full of bad gas or cracked fuel lines. Have any of you tried a cordless weed eater? Been thinking about getting one but can't decide if its worth the extra scratch to get one with lithium batteries or not and what would be the minimum voltage a guy should consider for an average size sub division yard.
clampdaddy

Re: Cordless string trimmer?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:47 am

I've got both clippers and trimmer. They work ok, I get about 15 minutes of use before I need a battery swap.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:14 am

My dad has the torx trimmer. He really likes it, but I have no first hand experience with it.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 am

Never tried one but with the improvement in battery power I don't see why they wouldn't last long enough to trim your yard. I wouldn't go trying to knock down big shit with it but for just trimming it would be better than gas powered IMO. Just don't let the grass get out of hand.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:47 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I've got both clippers and trimmer. They work ok, I get about 15 minutes of use before I need a battery swap.

I could probably edge and scalp the sprinklers in 15. How many volts is yours? My clippers are 18v. Was thinking about getting an 18v trimmer so they both use the same batteries.
clampdaddy

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Mine are 18v and swap between trimmer, drill and cutter. Makes it nice to have extra batteries for the stuff
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby one2many » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:37 pm

i only use gas powered. would take a truck load of batteries to trim my place.
i should rephrase that to. i pay a kid to use a gas powered trimmer. i love to mow for some weird reason but hate to trim. 20 bucks well spent every week
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby capt1972 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:41 pm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3200 Man » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:27 pm

My McClane edger is 35 yrs old and runs strong but , for the life of me I can't keep my air-cooled 6 hp lawn mower
boat motor running !

What's the secret Matt ?
3200 Man

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:15 am

3200 Man wrote:My McClane edger is 35 yrs old and runs strong but , for the life of me I can't keep my air-cooled 6 hp lawn mower
boat motor running !

What's the secret Matt ?

I have an old McClain that I need to restore. It was my grandpa's. Dad said he thinks that he bought it in the early 70's.

If your motor is a Honda I could probably help you out. I don't do much with Briggs. If I have one on the bench I can work my way through them but I don't know them well enough to give you much good advice. Clogged pick-up screens are pretty common issues with them though.
clampdaddy

Postby 3200 Man » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey Thanks.....I'll check it out !

This little bastard motor has got'en me in more trouble than I want to tell about but it is a handy sucker on my 10 ft'er !
3200 Man

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:05 pm

3200 Man wrote:Hey Thanks.....I'll check it out !

This little bastard motor has got'en me in more trouble than I want to tell about but it is a handy sucker on my 10 ft'er !

So it is a Briggs then?
clampdaddy

Postby 3200 Man » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Yep it is.....it has been a easy starter but it doesn't run for **** !
It's like new , you want to buy it ? OR , trade for some empty shotgun shells ?

No , I don't wish this sucker on anyone I just got to figure it out ! :lol:
3200 Man

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 pm

3200 Man wrote:Yep it is.....it has been a easy starter but it doesn't run for **** !
It's like new , you want to buy it ? OR , trade for some empty shotgun shells ?

No , I don't wish this sucker on anyone I just got to figure it out ! :lol:

If its the type where the carb is mounted on top of the fuel tank, pull the carb off. There's usually two stems coming down from the bottom of the carb and into the tank. One will have a wire screen cup and the longer one will have a little screen built into the bottom. Of the few Briggs powered pieces of equipment we have, one or both of those screens being plugged is usually the problem. If it runs better with a little choke, that's where I'd start.

Never look past the possibility of something as simple as a bad spark plug though. I wasted most of a day chasing what I thought was a carb gremlin on a Honda powered air compressor only to find out that it was the plug. It started easy and ran fine at low at idle but when it would try to ramp up it would falter and die unless I manually brought it up slowly. I figured that since it had good spark when I pulled it and the engine would run, the plug was doing its job. Wrong. Changed the plug and it ran like a million bucks.
clampdaddy

Postby 3200 Man » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:24 am

Hey thanks ! I'll give it a go and check it out . If a speeding Gray Dodge goes flying by your house and you find this
motor laying on the front lawn......it didn't work ! But , I will be patient and under control working on it , some ! :thumbsup:
3200 Man

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden