Going To Wash A Well

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Going To Wash A Well

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 am

Wife stopped at some estate sale thing yesterday, and brought home this for me:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408115326.839785.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408115335.809091.jpg

Going to refurbish the pump. Got a couple emails out looking for info on the size of pump leathers I need. There are only two sizes, and only two places on the whole interwebs that sell them, so hopefully one of those sizes is what I need. From some basic research, the "2" on the top seems to be the size, and is fairly standard, so I should be ok. Going to use a garden hose and PVC pipe to wash in a shallow well, about 20 feet or so. Our water table is right around 28 inches, so the hard part should be getting good tasting water, rather than hitting water.

Amish Weekend is going to be in full effect.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Re: Going To Wash A Well

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:22 am

Neat project, Jim. Do I see a waffle maker too?
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Steele22 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:25 am

Cool looking unit
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Neat project, Jim. Do I see a waffle maker too?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn straight! I was way too happy about the pump to worry about that last night. Layniebug and I used it this morning. It's one of those kinds like in hotels that spin upside down, and works like a champ. Can't wait to get some tater tots. She also got me a bunch of other stuff. I don't think the folks really understood what they had, or they just wanted to get rid of it. She kept calling asking me "Is _____ dollars a good price for ______?" DeWalt 18V set (I really just needed the new sawzall, since mine shit the bed) for $50, Milwaukee 1 3/4 HP router for $15, another food dehydrator for my jerky ($5), that waffle maker ($10), a bread maker ($10), and a Milwaukee radio for her barn, so she can stop stealing mine ($10). It was a pretty damn good haul, especially for all new stuff, still in the plastic.

The funny part is, they threw the pump in for free, and it was what I wanted more than any of the other stuff. :lol:
assateague

Postby Steele22 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:39 am

Sounds like a hell of a score, lucky fucker lol. I never find those deals
HIGDON OUTDOORS
Steele22

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:47 am

Nice! Post up about the tots when it happens.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:05 am

I will. I was thinking how nice it'll be, with the deeper "indentations" (or whatever they're called) that this style waffle maker puts in the wafffles. I bet the tater tot hash brown will hold a lot more sausage gravy that way.

Damn, I'm hungry. Just eating a syrup waffle this morning isn't cutting it, thinking about tater tot hash browns loaded with many little ponds off sausage gravy
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:06 am

And I just heard back from one of the companies, and their pump leathers are a match. And they're only $4 each, but the guy said they need to be replaced every year, so I should probably buy about 20, in case they stop making them.
assateague

Postby RonE » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:07 am

I love waffles with real maple syrup and real butter.........Fuck pancakes, gimme waffles.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:10 am

You ever wash in a well? Seems like something you'd have done. My concern is being able to tell the water-bearing sand apart from the "regular" sand. Supposedly, it's a LOT more coarse, and easily distinguished.
assateague

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 am

assateague wrote:You ever wash in a well? Seems like something you'd have done. My concern is being able to tell the water-bearing sand apart from the "regular" sand. Supposedly, it's a LOT more coarse, and easily distinguished.

I looked up how to do it once (trying to flood a corn field) there are a lot of videos on you tube and a website completely dedicated to doing it with PVC.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:56 am

Those are what I was watching, too. From what I've seen, the hardest part will be distinguishing the water bearing sand. I'm hoping it'll be obvious when I hit it, though.
assateague

Postby RonE » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:57 am

assateague wrote:You ever wash in a well? Seems like something you'd have done. My concern is being able to tell the water-bearing sand apart from the "regular" sand. Supposedly, it's a LOT more coarse, and easily distinguished.

Nope, never have. Looked into it several times but never got around to it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:01 pm

assateague wrote:Those are what I was watching, too. From what I've seen, the hardest part will be distinguishing the water bearing sand. I'm hoping it'll be obvious when I hit it, though.

There is a video somewhere on you tube that covers that... If I remember correctly it is impossible to not distinguish.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Duckdog » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:05 pm

It looks like it's in really good shape too!
Is it brass or cast iron?
Duckdog

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:05 pm

The guy with the video I was talking about started selling an informational booklet...

http://howtodrillawell.com/contact_us.php#question15

How can I tell when I hit water?

It's difficult to say exactly; the best way is to ask your neighbors who have a well, if any, how deep their water level is, then pick a depth at least 20-30 feet below that as a target depth. Or if you want to be sure, go 40-50 feet deeper to be on the safe side. This point is also addressed in the plans in some detail, but generally, you may feel a change in the water temperature (suddenly colder) when you hit water, you may notice a difference in the sand that might indicate water (discussed in the plans), but the surest way is to let it set overnight. The vast majority of wells can't be finished in a day, so when you go back to the well after it setting overnight, you'll be able to either see the water standing in the hole, or drop a float to it. It will almost always be standing at the depth of your groundwater. That's the best way to tell. There are a few other more subtle indications, and the plans tell you about those.

In other words, you gotta pay for that info now.
Woody

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:24 pm

:lol:

That's just silly! Our old well was 12 feet deep, and our groundwater is less than 30 inches below the surface. I just want to make sure I get through the proper layers of clay to hit the "sweet" water sand, because when you go down the mandated depth here from the health department (I believe it is 50 feet, but may be 60), you get into the nasty, hard water that everyone has. Sucks. Before they mandated the deeper wells, everyone had pretty decent water.

From my understanding, what that guy said is silly. Going 20 feet deeper than what "the neighbors have" may very well take you through another layer of clay, and into shitty or poorly flowing water. Deeper isn't always better, at least not around here. It takes something like 30 days for water to seep through a foot of clay, so simply going deeper doesn't really mean shit. You want to hit that sweet spot between layers of clay. At least that's my understanding, from my very basic research.
assateague

Postby RonE » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:25 pm

First thing: Locate the septic tank and any old outhouse sites............

Don't put your well near there.
RonE

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:30 pm

assateague wrote::lol:

That's just silly! Our old well was 12 feet deep, and our groundwater is less than 30 inches below the surface. I just want to make sure I get through the proper layers of clay to hit the "sweet" water sand, because when you go down the mandated depth here from the health department (I believe it is 50 feet, but may be 60), you get into the nasty, hard water that everyone has. Sucks. Before they mandated the deeper wells, everyone had pretty decent water.

From my understanding, what that guy said is silly. Going 20 feet deeper than what "the neighbors have" may very well take you through another layer of clay, and into shitty or poorly flowing water. Deeper isn't always better, at least not around here. It takes something like 30 days for water to seep through a foot of clay, so simply going deeper doesn't really mean shit. You want to hit that sweet spot between layers of clay. At least that's my understanding, from my very basic research.

You go until you hit the "sweet" sand (it is a different color and you should notice) then go between 10 and 50 feet past that and back fill around the pipe with stone or gravel. That way it is not flowing through the clay, but gravel and also makes a reservoir.
Woody

Postby RonE » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Search on YouTube: "DIY Well Drilling" There are many pages of videos, some long some short. Here is a pretty good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UD8_yzxgWA
RonE

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:16 pm

I take no credit for any of this so far. Almost exclusively from YouTube

First step, digging as far as I can with a post hole digger. Was a muddy mess by the end, so hopefully that'll make it easier tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408162561.747297.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408162578.435943.jpg
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:17 pm

The business end done.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408162609.469239.jpg
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:19 pm

This end clamps onto the end of the piece you're drilling with, and the hose feeds into it. For the record, there is no damn easy way to reduce from 3" PVC to 3/4" hose thread. What a pain in the ass that was.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408162729.391111.jpg
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Casing sections with the drilling end and couplings glued on

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408162819.125913.jpg
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:22 pm

The handle. 2 hose clamps wrap around the pipe and through, and you just loosen and move it to where you need to hold it to rotate the pipe as it goes down.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408162895.298198.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408162923.342855.jpg
assateague

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:22 pm

That's it for tonight. Drilling starts in the morning.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:27 pm

Curious to see how this goes. No way in hell I could do it here with the ground, but I like seeing cool shit happen.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:44 pm

The shitty part is that my pump parts won't be in until end of next week. I may just go buy a cheap pitcher pump to see if it works.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Please tell me youtube told you to use a toilet flange to connect your pump head to your casing. Dont know why, but I find that funny.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Duckdog » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:50 pm

You're not wasting any time!
This is gonna be cool to watch play out.
Duckdog

Next

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden