Journal Your Dove Hunts.

Upland Birds.

Moderator: NuffDaddy

Re: Journal Your Dove Hunts.

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:33 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:I know we all probably kill alot of first year birds every dove season. So what I'm gonna say won't make much sense. But I swear doves are getting conditioned to those damn spinners. Every year they work less and less. This opener they worked kinda ok for the morning. Had a couple of buddy's come out for the evening that needed to finish up. They hunted some where south of yuba city. Birds seems to dig them bit more that afternoon. The vortex does work well, it catches the birds eye at long distance. I still think though a standard mojo on an extended pole 12 or so feet in the air and another low to the ground is the most effective. Also set them at 90 degree angles. So they can be seen from any where..... just what I've learned over the years.

I got ya.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Woody » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:35 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Woody wrote:I'll give you log of my doves, but I am not writing a gay diary or journal for you to read....

Here is my log:
0... it is illegal in MI, to shot a dove.

I don't know how you live in Michigan.

Other than the taxes being a little high... this is really the only law that actually actively upsets me.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Woody » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 am

Legband wrote:
Woody wrote:I'll give you log of my doves, but I am not writing a gay diary or journal for you to read....

Here is my log:
0... it is illegal in MI, to shot a dove.

Thanks I truly appreciate it.
I wouldn't want you to post anything gay I'm totally against the whole sodomite life style but thanks for sharing :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I was allowed to shoot them I would make a more meaningful post.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:37 am

If they ever attempted to out law dove hunting in cali. I firmly believe the capital would be set on fire. More guys chase those little birds then anything else.
Last edited by GadwallGetter530 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:38 am

Just laughing with you woody have a good day. :thumbsup:
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Woody » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:38 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:If they ever attempted to out law dove hunting in cali. I firmly believe the capital would be set of fire.

Is that the straw that would break the camels back?
Woody

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:39 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:If they ever attempted to out law dove hunting in cali. I firmly believe the capital would be set of fire. More guys chase those little birds then anything else.

X2
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Deltaman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:48 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Here's my journal entry for the dove opener.

September 1, 2014:
Didn't hunt because the special interests got our season banned. Fuck you HSUS.

Damn I'm jealous of you guys that get to hunt doves.

Whaaaa??????? Special Interest???? What group????? .........and how did they go about getting it banned? I would be one irate citizen :evil:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:50 am

Woody wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:If they ever attempted to out law dove hunting in cali. I firmly believe the capital would be set of fire.

Your idea of where we live is comical. Cali has some of the most liberal hunting and fishing laws in the country. With Great opportunity for public land access. You might hear all types of b.s. coming from southern California that really never goes anywhere. I know our state is horrible with its great weather and superb wing shooting. Oh god how do we live in such a place.lol wait that's right. You have now idea what it's really like here Lol
GadwallGetter530

Postby Woody » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:52 am

Deltaman wrote:

September 1, 2014:

Whaaaa??????? Special Interest???? What group????? .........and how did they go about getting it banned? I would be one irate citizen :evil:

HSUS Humane Society
Woody

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:I know we all probably kill alot of first year birds every dove season. So what I'm gonna say won't make much sense. But I swear doves are getting conditioned to those damn spinners. Every year they work less and less.

I agree with this. We had morning doves thick this year for the first time in ten years and most of them didn't give a shit about the mojos. Normally the few morning doves we have will dive bomb a mojo with you standing right beside it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Legband » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 am

Are Members of the Humane Society on the Endangered Spices List ?
Maybe you could get a season opened up on them , with liberal bag limits.
You could feed them to all the wolves they are saving but they probably taste like sour grapes so feed them to the bears there are a lot more of them now you can't use hounds to bear hunt. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Woody » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Woody wrote:

Your idea of where we live is comical. Cali has some of the most liberal hunting and fishing laws in the country. With Great opportunity for public land access. You might hear all types of b.s. coming from southern California that really never goes anywhere. I know our state is horrible with its great weather and superb wing shooting. Oh god how do we live in such a place.lol wait that's right. You have now idea what it's really like here Lol

No doubt you guys have some of the best wing shooting and open hunting laws, but you also have the highest taxes (Thanks to Proposition 30, California now boasts the highest state income tax rate in the nation, California has the highest sales tax rate in the United States, California has the highest "minimum corporate tax" in the country. Each corporation must pay at least $800 to the state even if a corporation does not make a single dollar of profit, California is the only state in America that taxes carbon emissions, etc...), strictest gun laws, maybe the fewest personal freedoms, one of the worst states in America to do business (n 2011, the state of California ranked 50th out of all 50 states in new business creation), getting a job can be extremely difficult (As of October 2012, only Nevada and Rhode Island had higher unemployment rates than California), Sadly, an astounding 60 percent of all students attending California public schools now qualify for free or reduced-price school lunches, etc...

Not to hate on Cali, just the government of Cali....
Woody

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:34 am

September 1, 2014:

X2
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3200 Man » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:01 pm

Woody wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Woody wrote:

No doubt you guys have some of the best wing shooting and open hunting laws, but you also have the highest taxes (Thanks to Proposition 30, California now boasts the highest state income tax rate in the nation, California has the highest sales tax rate in the United States, California has the highest "minimum corporate tax" in the country. Each corporation must pay at least $800 to the state even if a corporation does not make a single dollar of profit, California is the only state in America that taxes carbon emissions, etc...), strictest gun laws, maybe the fewest personal freedoms, one of the worst states in America to do business (n 2011, the state of California ranked 50th out of all 50 states in new business creation), getting a job can be extremely difficult (As of October 2012, only Nevada and Rhode Island had higher unemployment rates than California), Sadly, an astounding 60 percent of all students attending California public schools now qualify for free or reduced-price school lunches, etc...

Not to hate on Cali, just the government of Cali....

Yes Sir , there is opportunity here for you...... just get in line ?

Come By way of Mexico , tho ! :lol:
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:53 pm

We had another fantastic shoot this morning in fact so good I'm wondering where all these birds are coming from.
Still too warm to be migrating in.
And if I had to guess we saw more birds today than on the opener.
And the harvest on this one ranch is equal to the two larger Ranch's we shoot.
One thing I do know is it's stacking up to be a great dove season.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Glad to hear someone has birds, they have disappeared from here. Two of us scratched out 16 yesterday, while covering many areas. High of 62 with rain and lots of wind, today was worse, hunted for 2 hours and headed home after 5 birds.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby 3200 Man » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:43 pm

You can say that again Legband ! With all the birds still flying after 316 harvested , it's been a great year so far .
Still in the 90's here and with all the nut harvesting , birds are piling into the Safflower . It does help having the river
closeby along with a line of Willow Trees . They are thick as Blackbirds in the trees in the afternoons , which makes
for quick limits for most fellas . There's nothing like being under a flight-line , this year !
3200 Man

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:22 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Woody wrote:

So then, you've got great pheasant there too? 8-)
QH's Paw

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:23 am

Legband wrote:We had another fantastic shoot this morning in fact so good I'm wondering where all these birds are coming from.
Still too warm to be migrating in.
And if I had to guess we saw more birds today than on the opener.
And the harvest on this one ranch is equal to the two larger Ranch's we shoot.
One thing I do know is it's stacking up to be a great dove season.

Oregon, they're coming from Oregon. Our birds got froze out for a week before the season opened. They went south. Now you gottem. Enjoy! :thumbsup:
QH's Paw

Postby Legband » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:51 am

Colt The wonder dog waiting this morning for shoot light.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Legband » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:03 pm

Well it didn't last long less than 30 mins but it was fast and furious.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby banknote » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Went out for last hour and a half of shooting light to see what I could see. Found a little spot next to water with a grove of big trees about 50 yards back and a couple smaller dead ones right along the bank. Not a ton of dove around, but the few who were seemed to want to be in this spot. In an hour I probably shot at 10-12 birds, killed 4 which is pretty good for me, especially since I really haven't done any shooting since January. Dog handled them reasonably well, and got better with each one. He even held at the shot most of the time, so he just might turn out okay. Saw lots of ducks flying. It was a fun evening.
banknote

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:10 am

Went out for a solo shoot a few days ago. Got a couple bonuses out of the deal.
20140903_191130.jpg
20140903_170727.jpg
first Euro and band of the season.
GadwallGetter530

Postby Legband » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 am

Sweet out of all my years dove hunting I have never shot a banded dove.
My buddy shot one at China Island And other than yours that's the only one I know about personally.
Congrats on a great piece of memorabilia.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby Goldfish » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Today was a bust. Walking out at first light I saw one but there wasn't any wind to spin the wings. Now of course it's blowing 10-15
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby banknote » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:29 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:Went out for a solo shoot a few days ago. Got a couple bonuses out of the deal.
20140903_191130.jpg
20140903_170727.jpg
first Euro and band of the season.

Are those a couple collareds on top? I want to shoot some of those.
banknote

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:51 pm

The top one is.
GadwallGetter530

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Legband wrote:Sweet out of all my years dove hunting I have never shot a banded dove.
My buddy shot one at China Island And other than yours that's the only one I know about personally.

We had a run for a few years where we would kill a few every season. They mainly were banded in gray lodge or the surrounding areas. Had a few from down south and a couple from Oregon and eastern California. My first was a double banded money deal with one silver and one gold band. I almost didn't see it. Lol I think were up to around 30 for the property. This one makes 19 for me. Its cool to see where those little birds move too when you get the report back.
GadwallGetter530

Postby Legband » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:53 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Legband wrote:Sweet out of all my years dove hunting I have never shot a banded dove.

We had a run for a few years where we would kill a few every season. They mainly were banded in gray lodge or the surrounding areas. Had a few from down south and a couple from Oregon and eastern California. My first was a double banded money deal with one silver and one gold band. I almost didn't see it. Lol I think were up to around 30 for the property. This one makes 19 for me. Its cool to see where those little birds move too when you get the report back.

How cool is that.
I'm sure it's like any other band in that you need to be in a area that they band in or that banded birds move into.
On the east side of the central valley we have three main Ranch's we shoot for doves appox 7500 acres.
I would venture to say in the first two week season of the year at least 700 to 900 doves are harvested by all the shooters and it's a good number of guys for the opener and dwindling down to a hand full of hunters after the first 3-4 days.
Now I realize a lot of guys never even check for bands but in all the years we have hunted these Ranch's, back to high school on the big one 1977 I have never seen a band.
You have been very blessed to be in some great banding areas.
Congratulations on the trophy kills, if you have a pic of your collection I would love to see it.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

PreviousNext

Return to Upland Hunting