Baby Ringer

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Baby Ringer

Postby Scott R » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:10 am

Well...more like a miniature than a baby :D Haven't been messing with any full size birds since deciding not to waterfowl this season but I was wanting to do something. Had this one sitting around partially done so I took it to the deer blind one afternoon and finished it then painted it the next day.

Should look good on the Christmas tree this year. :thumbsup:

Scott R

Re: Baby Ringer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Very cool. Really like the mini decoys.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Way cool :thumbsup:
The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Postby Goldfish » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:29 pm

I actually want mini decoys for decorations
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:07 am

Nice.

He doesn't look quite as mad as your full size birds though.
Bufflehead

Postby RickC » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:44 am

Man I thought it would be going in the swap, I'd have worked up some to get that one. I've got 7 from the first swap that go on the tree.
RickC

Postby Capttrae » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:20 am

Very nice
Capttrae

Postby Scott R » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:44 am

RickC wrote:Man I thought it would be going in the swap, I'd have worked up some to get that one. I've got 7 from the first swap that go on the tree.

Rick it may make it to the swap...still not sure.

I did these specifically for the swap. I have 3 all together that I'm putting in and I may do another today. Still have 4 of the floats and I need to do something with them :D They are made in the bouy bird style from seine net floats. Stayed with silo heads to keep with the old school look. I have 2 coots and the bill. Hope someone takes them.

Scott R

Postby RickC » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:01 pm

Those will go quick! I've been down with a respiratory problem for 3 weeks. Just today I was able to get base coats on 7 cork birds and sealed a cedar bird. I might try and cut out a couple tomorrow, been saving scape for the swap.
RickC

Postby Scott R » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm fighting what's become a "several times a year" sinus infection again also. Working in the field all year I think I've become hypersensitive to mold, pollen, dust, and whatever chemicals are laying in the soil behind out crops.

What little I cut on those mini heads locked me up tight. I've got to start wearing my respirator more when in the shop.
Scott R

Postby Duckdog » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm the same way, and I suppose it has to do with breathing dust everyday, day in and day out, compounded by the fact that I have horrible allergies. It's become the norm for me to have 4-5 sinus infections a year...BUT,...

Taking the advice from another guy who'd suffered the same way, I bought a big humidifier for my room and so far, it's helped immensely! I'm waaaay ahead of the curve and have not yet had one this fall/winter.

Just thought I'd throw this out there...Might wanna try it.
Duckdog

Postby Capttrae » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:38 am

Not trying to get the thread off track or anything, but what, where and when is the swap y'all are talking about? Thanks
Capttrae

Postby RickC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:46 am

Capttrae wrote:Not trying to get the thread off track or anything, but what, where and when is the swap y'all are talking about? Thanks

The swap is an annual Christmas event in its 3rd year I believe at WorkingDecoys.net. The first was a pretty bid success so its become an annual thing. Around 50 minis were swapped. I think I got 7 or 8 that time.
RickC

Return to Decoy Carving Forum