Which Brand of Shotgun do you use

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

When shooting at ducks and geese, which brand of shotgun do you use?

Benelli
18%
Browning
22%
Winchester
7%
Remington
18%
Beretta
13%
Ithica
2%
Mossberg
9%
Savage/Fox/Stevens
No votes
Stoger
4%
Other-Italian
3%
Other-Jap
No votes
Other-Turkey
1%
Other
3%
Don't Know
No votes

Total votes : 107

Re: Which Brand of Shotgun do you use

Postby sws002 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:15 am

greenheadsonly4848 wrote:Benelli with HM shells there is no substitute

Jesus man. Tell me how you really feel about Hevi-Metal. Welcome to the forum, but holy shit, did you just search every thread that you could feasibly mention Hevi-Metal in and proceed to do so? I'm not knocking the stuff, I like it too, but you are already sounding like a broken record.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:08 am

greenheadsonly4848 wrote:Benelli with HM shells there is no substitute

Heavy metal? Really? I had no fucking idea. Guess I'm gonna keep using federals cause hevi metal's guys are annoying as shit.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:12 am

Hevi metal sucks
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flyway Stalker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:51 am

Benelli SBE II for mixed bag days / Browning Gold 10 gauge semi auto for field hunting geese.
The only differance I've found in shells over my 35 years of hunting is how lite some of them make my wallet feel.
It's kind of comical how gulable some of you young guys are to the bull shit hype these manufactures fill your head with.
I have to remind my sons of this time to time, IT'S WATERFOWLING, YOUR NOT GOING TO FUCKING WAR, GET A GRIP.
my Grand dad shot a shit ton of ducks sitting in a pit with a red plaid hat on shooting a Sears & Robuck 20 gauge and 2 3/4 shells.
I'm not saying to shoot the cheapest shells you can find, but most anything from Kent, Federal, Remington & Winchester work great if your shooting correctly and ethically.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Flyway Stalker

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Yeah but he had lead! :lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:12 pm

2 3/4" 20ga Kent Upland Steel works for me, and I don't even have a red plaid hat.
Rick

Postby team216 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:01 pm

I've got a benelli nova 12ga that I won at the du dinner a while back. An just bought a benelli supernova 12ga so that my girlfriend could hunt with me. I've only used the super on one hunt but it shoots, that's all I need it to do. The nova is a multi tool, it's been a paddle, depth finder, a push pole off an ice patch I got stuck on. I've fallen over in the water gun completely under the water and still went boom boom boom with the shells that were in the gun. As far as shells, ive always went with the Winchester HV. Seem to shoot fine, the kill birds, and are affordable.
team216

Postby Flyway Stalker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Yeah but he had lead! :lol:

Very true, but more important, he had skill.
I am more about the chalenge of fine tuning my presentation to bring birds into the range for clean kills, and less about this need for instant gradification because I cant feel I had a good day if I get skunked. I think you're robbing yourself from a truly rewarding feeling of acomplisment if you think you need a shell that would fit a howitzer and make kills or cripple's past 40 yards. Thats just me, to each his own.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Flyway Stalker

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:29 pm

team216 wrote:I've got a benelli nova 12ga that I won at the du dinner a while back. An just bought a benelli supernova 12ga so that my girlfriend could hunt with me. I've only used the super on one hunt but it shoots, that's all I need it to do. The nova is a multi tool, it's been a paddle, depth finder, a push pole off an ice patch I got stuck on. I've fallen over in the water gun completely under the water and still went boom boom boom with the shells that were in the gun. As far as shells, ive always went with the Winchester HV. Seem to shoot fine, the kill birds, and are affordable.

Novas can take a hell of a beating. mines done everything you listed except the ice pushpole and been run over when it was left leaning against the truck. one gun I'll never consider parting with.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Just don't shoot 3 1/2" shells at clays through it. Could give you the yips.
Rick

Postby greenheadsonly4848 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Benelli
greenheadsonly4848

Postby simplepeddler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:40 pm

686 Onyx
simplepeddler

Postby Capttrae » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Benelli
Capttrae

Postby DixieDawg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Winchester SXP I won as a service award at work although occasionally I venture out in a few areas that the Remington 887 comes out and goes with me my wife shoots a Winchester SXP
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Olly » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Browning
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby flyn88 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Browning silver 3 1/2. Only 2 malfunctions in 1k+ shots. Most shells 2 3/4
flyn88

Postby lastboyscout427 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Browning maxus and a baikal rem import as a backup
lastboyscout427

Postby duckdreamer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:20 am

RonE wrote:I probably left some brands out.........
Yep! left out Franchi. I have a vari max gas operated and sold a 390 Beretta but wouldnt sell my Franchi. Had a box of junk shells of every kind, 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 and took them to the range and just started shooting. Shot and ejected them all, lowest power to highest. Light recoil, shims for fit and takes beretta chokes. Love it and would like to have another.
duckdreamer

Postby prairie gunner » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 am

Browning Maxus, Love it. Its the best shooting gun I have owned. shoot mostly 3.5" loads. Its a nice upgrade from the gold that I shot for 8 years before that.
prairie gunner

Postby Rick » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:04 am

duckdreamer wrote:
RonE wrote:I probably left some brands out.........
Yep! left out Franchi. I have a vari max gas operated and sold a 390 Beretta but wouldnt sell my Franchi. Had a box of junk shells of every kind, 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 and took them to the range and just started shooting. Shot and ejected them all, lowest power to highest. Light recoil, shims for fit and takes beretta chokes. Love it and would like to have another.

Which model: Infinity or previous one (I-12?)?
Rick

Postby hardcorehunter5 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:12 pm

SX3, BPS backup
hardcorehunter5

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:47 am

Was of the "Remington 870" persuation UNTIL I hunted in a situation where there were many guns in one blind.
Decided real quick that IT SUCKS when everyone in the blind has shot their three shots and you finally get off the second one and....it's too late.

Got left standing there with one or even two shells in my shotgun so many times I said "fuck this pump-gun bullshit" and borrowed a Beretta 390 which I never returned. (bought it).

Once you start shooting an old 1100, a 390, a nice winchester... or something NICE that's uses the air-recoil system you'll forget all about guns that you pump.

I have two 870 wingmasters if you insist on pumping....make me an offer. lol
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:37 am

aunt betty wrote:Was of the "Remington 870" persuation UNTIL I hunted in a situation where there were many guns in one blind.
Decided real quick that IT SUCKS when everyone in the blind has shot their three shots and you finally get off the second one and....it's too late.

Got left standing there with one or even two shells in my shotgun so many times I said "fuck this pump-gun bullshit" and borrowed a Beretta 390 which I never returned. (bought it).

Once you start shooting an old 1100, a 390, a nice winchester... or something NICE that's uses the air-recoil system you'll forget all about guns that you pump.

I have two 870 wingmasters if you insist on pumping....make me an offer. lol

AB, I had to make the move to an artymatic a few years ago as well. Shucking the shell out of my old trusty SKB pump got me off track between shots. Think mine was more of an age vs. hand eye coordination thing. Having an auto allows me to use a missed shot as a track, and can stay on the same line to correct.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:56 am

There's a lot of stuff going on when you change from a pump-gun like an 870 to a air-powered semi-auto.

1. the semi is a bit heavier and kicks less due to that fact
2. it's air powered and that makes it kick even less
3. IT KICKS LESS!

You recover way more quickly and can shoot way faster plus the gun is just designed to shoot faster so it quadruples the effect.

Started shooting doubles and triples frequently once I got alone with big flocks of ducks trying to land in my spread after I switched to a semi-auto Beretta.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:07 am

Coot...one day someone will take you snow goose hunting and you'll get handed a gun that looks like it has two barrels but one is the magazine with 7 shells in it. You'll get there
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:09 am

Be wearing the poop n blood goggles baby
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Used to be so proud of my 870 wingmasters until one day I got in a blind with 9 other guys who all had semi-autos.
Group of 25 teal tried to land and buhbam bam bam bam bam bam....
I could only get two shot off and everyone else emptied their guns !?!?!
Real quick I decided that the pump guns are great for upland and not so much for waterfowl when you gotta shoot FAST.
I like soft shooting beretta better and it actually fits me slightly better. Tried out both of the Italian guns and they both shoot equally well for me. All shotguns fit me out of the box but the 390 fits me perfectly.
Lot of guys like benellis but they kick a little harder. (and cost a whole lot more than a used 390)
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to The Shotgun Forum