Gotta start somewhere

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Gotta start somewhere

Postby ohioduck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:13 pm

I bought this little Grebe. Figure I can learn to paint before I try carving. At least painting if it looks like shit you can repaint them.

IMG_20150314_135339_026.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I hate being Bi-polar, It's awesome.
ohioduck

Re: Gotta start somewhere

Postby RickC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Cool little bird, and a great practice piece. Another way to practice painting on boards. Layout your pattern and go to town
RickC

Postby ohioduck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:25 pm

RickC wrote:Cool little bird, and a great practice piece. Another way to practice painting on boards. Layout your pattern and go to town

Thanks for the encouragement Rick. It's kind of intimidating. I don't want to screw it up.
ohioduck

Postby RickC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Anytime, everyone who gets into this has screwed up more birds than they like to count. My strength in this is the carving portion, I'm more mechanically minded than artistic. Color theories are like frickn Greek to me so I muddle through and learn a little each time, mainly through mistakes. A couple hints I'll give you while I'm thinking of them. Grey.......it's usually assumed that to get grey white and black is mixed, unless you want a bluish tint mix white and a little raw umber until you get the shade your looking for in the color. I'm guessing your painting with acrylics. Two things with that, for practice birds or boards whatever low end acrylics will work but for a service bird I recommend Traditions, JoSonja, Liquitex and there are a couple others that are very good paints for working birds. The other is thinning acrylics. Normally water is used and is fine just don't use too much as it will hinder the paint in binding to the surface. I dip my brush and dip it into the paint on my pallette and that has worked well. There are what's called mediums that can be used to thin, blend, glaze and more.
Have any question shoot me an pm or email anytime. If you facebook I have two decoys groups Waterfowl & Gamebird Counterfeiters and Collectors, and a workshop group as well.
RickC

Postby ohioduck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks again sir. Going to the hobby store tonight get some brushes. Do you have to prime him and will a rattle can Krylon work or should I get something specific?
ohioduck

Postby RickC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:36 pm

I started using Krylon for priming birds I'm painting with acrylics. I like to use a grey when I can. Those coot were primed with Krylon but the only color I had was a reddish brown.
RickC

Postby ohioduck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:39 pm

I went to the decoy show in Strongsville, that's where I got the little Grebe. I seen lots of coot decoys as well. I got a soft spot for the grebe though lol. I was browsing some of your threads , you sir are very talented. Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
ohioduck

Postby RickC » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:03 pm

If I'd known you were going I'd have given you some names to look around for while you were there. Did you happen to see an old gent with a carving station setup outside somwhere? If so that was George Williams, a decoy making machine. The head carving contest had a bunch of them that I know including the one that stabbed himself in the leg and the one that eventually took him to the ER lol.
RickC

Postby ohioduck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Yeah I seen George. I missed the stabbing lol.
ohioduck

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Paint away and don't be afraid to change your mind and repaint. :thumbsup:
The objective is to turn live ducks into dead ducks
Mean Gene

Return to Decoy Carving Forum