Thick meat sandwich decoy

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Thick meat sandwich decoy

Postby Goldfish » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:45 am

I made a couple foam heads so far with about 1" wide wood for the middle of the sandwich. Only thing I should have done differently was carve the bill before I glued the foam on, but live and learn.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Thick meat sandwich decoy

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Perhaps because I don't know pecans about making decoys, but that's the first time I've seen that technique.
Rick

Postby Olly » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Me too, did you come up with that one your own? Very clever if you did.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Pretty slick
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Just don't have apoxie sculpt yet, plus it's expensive, and I figure wood for the bill would be stronger. The wood is free from work, and the foam was found/given to me, so up until today when I bought tightbond and a composite deck board for the keels, I had zero dollars into these birds.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:14 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1437884049692.jpg
Goldfish

Postby Bad17 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:03 am

Sweet Goldie.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Goldfish » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:53 pm

So I guess to answer your question directly Olly, yes I thought if it on my own. Didn't seem to be a hit with the decoy Carvers tho. Lots of "why not just do all wood" or "that seems like a lot of work"
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:01 pm

As a non Carver it got my approval for whatever that's worth.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:12 pm

As a non-carver hunter/shooter - I wouldn't bother with wood in any decoy. All the custom decoys I have use 16wt foam for the heads that take 12ga loads better than any wood.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:54 pm

You know how expensive foam molds, much less the foam, is tho? It's stupid.
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 am

Goldfish wrote:You know how expensive foam molds, much less the foam, is tho? It's stupid.

I looked into the foam molds once. If you're craving decoys to save money you'd have to crank out more than a few dozen to make it worth it if I remember right.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:You know how expensive foam molds, much less the foam, is tho? It's stupid.

I looked into the foam molds once. If you're craving decoys to save money you'd have to crank out more than a few dozen to make it worth it if I remember right.

Oh yeah, there is no money savings.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:43 pm

You might as well just do the whole thing out of wood.
This is the real Botiz630
Botiz630

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Also, seems like a lot of unnecessary work?
Botiz630

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Yah - find a molds on eBay, buy them cheap and build your spread, sell them to some one else.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:13 am

Hardy haar titz
Goldfish

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:19 am

Goldfish wrote:Hardy haar titz

On a serious note, I'm in the same boat you are in that apoxie sculpt is only an option through ordering online, and I can't bring myself to pay more in shipping than the price of the product itself. Especially when I'm only doing a handful of decoys.

What I came up with was to carve the head completely out of foam, and burlap/mastic it to the body. Then I got some of that epoxy putty that you can mix together and fashioned a rudimentary bill out of it, sunk a small dowel in it and then glued that dowel into the face of the decoy.

Here's a pic, I've got some glue seepage to clean up but for the basic gunners I'm making I'm happy enough with the result.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438082346.463031.jpg
Botiz630

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:55 am

Is that wood glue in the background? Are you thinking about doing some restle coat decoys?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:56 am

It is wood glue, but no I'm not. I'm pretty much done with the decoys I'll be making for this season. After season when I get back into I'll maybe give that a try.
Botiz630

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Botiz630 wrote:It is wood glue, but no I'm not. I'm pretty much done with the decoys I'll be making for this season. After season when I get back into I'll maybe give that a try.

That's what I thought you had told me, but I got all excited.
Woody

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm

I'll be restle coating these
Goldfish

Postby Woody » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:26 am

Goldfish wrote:I'll be restle coating these

Unless you are shipping them to Michigan, I'm not excited.
Woody

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:17 am

Post some pics of the process if possible.
Botiz630

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 am

Of restle coating? Or my carving of the foam, because I forgot to take those pics
Goldfish

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:11 am

The restle coating. I've seen some how-to's online but if you're able to post some pics and give some commentary as you go through it I would appreciate it.
Botiz630

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:56 am

I haven't ever done it before. Just figured glue watered down a little, throw some saw dust on it, do it again a couple times with letting it dry in between...
Goldfish

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Did some several years ago with Titebond and crushed walnut hulls (hamster bedding)...those things were bullet proof
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:08 am

I've got a gallon of titebond 2 in the garage, with a 5 gallon bucket of saw dust from home depot.

Apoxie sculpted the eyes in, smoothed the neck and tail board. Cut a couple keels (not installed yet), and added weight to the Mandarin so it'll self right
Goldfish

Postby RickC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Looking good, do them whatever way makes you happy
RickC

Next

Return to Decoy Carving Forum