Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:09 am

Rick, looks like your work is cut out for you and the go-devil prop. Guess I take for granted that when I return to my ponds at end of the summer, they still look like ponds. That said, I'm knocking on wood that our teal "holes" haven't succumbed to the tall grass that was planted as part of a restoration effort and spreads like wildfire. Be careful out there in the heat!
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:03 pm

Seems kind of ironic that you might lose duck ponds to marsh restoration, but then again, we're constantly battling natural marsh succession to keep ours on this end of the state.

Dave, I ended up spending much of my day off driving the repaired 4850 in circles on the first of two Klondike farms that look about like your place did, so at least for the time being, that die has been cast. Sorry I couldn't get it all while the tools were on that end.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for what you've done and hopefully the old JD will make it back our way. Blake and I will definitely be out there Saturday morning to poke around. Once that blind gets put in I need to put Ellie's launch pad back in place.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 am

Rick wrote:Seems kind of ironic that you might lose duck ponds to marsh restoration, but then again, we're constantly battling natural marsh succession to keep ours on this end of the state.

Not sure what species of grass it is but it started in the areas that were filled in with dredge spoil from nearby lake bottom. It's much taller than the usual Spartina so prevalent in our area, and spreads readily. Makes for a beautiful looking marsh (and likely fairly storm resistant), it's easy to hide in on edge of your holes, but it can also take over your holes. I couldn't even find the one pictured below from the 2011 teal season when I went looking for it at this time in 2012, even when the GPS said I was standing in it! Water is still there but this grass is everywhere.

DSC06326.JPG

Makes for a pretty marsh, though
DSC07746.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby Bud » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 am

Now, if that new grass will just go to seed and the ducks love the seeds...
May as well wish.
All in a day's work.
Bud

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Had my first call from a regular about booking a teal hunt this morning. It's coming...
Rick

Postby Woody » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Rick wrote:Had my first call from a regular about booking a teal hunt this morning. It's coming...

I would have thought you were booked up weeks if not months ago.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 am

Naw, and especially not for teal. As with big ducks, some folks book the following year before they leave camp and others throughout the off season, but teal don't inspire the rush to book when their seasons dates are announced that big ducks do. For big ducks I have to book my own "family and friend" days, but teal are so much less popular that some play day openings always just happen. (DComeaux and the DHC Indabros got to join me on one last year.)
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:24 am

Great news! Bogged my first tractor of the new season, so that part of our preparation is running well ahead of schedule.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:34 am

Kidding aside, something that isn't ahead of schedule is young master Marsh's training. Feel like I've really dropped the ball there and am playing catch-up now that more of my time during the day's cooler hours has been freed up. Still haven't found a gator-safe pond that can replace the one we lost to Dixie Rice's sale for open water work or their wide flotant covered canals to simulate the floating marsh, but we've started doing what we can with what's still at hand about the later:

That's a mighty looong way from being ready for the mudhole.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Sounds like the coyote wants to help him :lol:

I was really looking forward to going out to the place yesterday. I had, and still have, speck breast seasoned and vacum sealed that we were going to Sous vide Friday evening,throw on the gril, and coat with a little orange marmalade.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:54 am

That's not Peake being mouthy, that's Marsh being surprised, frustrated or who knows what by his project. Most vocal dog I've ever owned, including Chas, the beagle.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:40 am

Wow!, I didn't think that was marsh making those sounds. I'd probably do the same in that crap.
DComeaux

Postby Goldfish » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:01 am

I'm glad I don't have to/don't choose to deal with hunting conditions like that
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 am

Our rice is much easier, but even the big dog will yip when frustrated (might have to raise the volume to catch it when the bird puts a move on him):
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:46 pm

After watching the marsh video that video poped up and I watched it. I did hear a sound when I first watched it but thought it was a blue goose. I just upped the volume and I did hear his squeal.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:00 pm

When a lightly hit bird is paddle-wheeling across the marsh just out of the coyote's reach, you'd think he was a beagle that just jumped a swamper. But he's otherwise not nearly so vocal in nature as Marsh, who's apt to yip and yap just getting through flooded stubbles to a mark.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Rick wrote:When a lightly hit bird is paddle-wheeling across the marsh just out of the coyote's reach, you'd think he was a beagle that just jumped a swamper. But he's otherwise not nearly so vocal in nature as Marsh, who's apt to yip and yap just getting through flooded stubbles to a mark.

Sounds just like my last chessie.

A dead bird she'd swim out as quiet as could be, but when chasing a cripple through the water she'd often give 'em hell. It seemed like she was straining so hard to get into a higher gear that the excitement would just come out.

Given that I mostly hunted at a club, everybody knew when Ed's dog was chasing cripples :oops:

She never barked when chasing cripples on the ground, only in the water. It's amazing how fast a duck can run with a dog on their ass. I guess I would too. :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Can't blame 'em.
Rick

Previous

Return to Rick 2014-2015