Thick meat sandwich decoy

Decoy carving talk of all skill levels!

Re: Thick meat sandwich decoy

Postby Goldfish » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 am

I messed up today. Krylon matte clear in the spray can, which I was going to seal the wood with, or tried to should say, doesn't mesh well with foam...
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:29 am

Yarch! All that work and then an atomic melt down. I'd cry.
Rick

Postby Goldfish » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:49 pm

They aren't totally toast, just annoying that I need to add more putty when they were pretty much ready to be restle coated and painted
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Restle coating is pretty easy.

Water down some glue, but go slowly with the water because it thins quickly
uploadfromtaptalk1439583955761.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Brush it all over the decoy
uploadfromtaptalk1439583992178.jpg
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Dump saw dust all over
uploadfromtaptalk1439584020653.jpg
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Repeat multiple times
uploadfromtaptalk1439584083692.jpg

Then wait for it to dry (I saw suggested 8 hours, I'm waiting till tomorrow), repeat at least once more, then dry, then paint.
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:37 am

Oh, I did learn something. Find a way to do this so that either A: you can let whatever side of the decoy is wet to dry before serting it on something, or B: make pointy holders for your decoys so there is less touching them while they dry. Some of the restle coating came off with the rocks I had them propped up on to dry
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:13 am

And I still can't get up the gumption/nerve just to repaint some plastic ones. You guys who make them, embarrass me.
Rick

Postby Goldfish » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Repaints into divers are easy as pie. Start there. Or just follow the lines that are already on the decoy to just repaint them I guess is probably easier. Divers you just only need black and white pretty much.

For the second coat I did take the paint brush to the decoy first to knock off all the loose saw dust. Also, it takes a lot of glue for the second coat because of it soaking into what's already on the bird. Probably double the first coat.
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:24 am

uploadfromtaptalk1440746677092.jpg
Threw a final coat of just glue on the birds last weekend and let them set to dry. If I have time this weekend I'll try to get to painting, but I'm not sure I will.
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 am

No paint, but getting the keels on
Goldfish

Postby DukMan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:27 am

They look great! I was thinking about carving a few foamers when I find some free time. I was planning to do burlap and mastic but I like the glue and sawdust look better.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby Goldfish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 am

If/when I do more, the final coat I'll use only fine saw dust, not like I did with these where there is lots of fibers. Makes them pretty stabbyish
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Slowly getting it all done. Drew out the paint lines. Hopefully tomorrow I'll block in the base colors. I know that one is all wood, but that's my first decoy that'll get painted up with all the others
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Getting there
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:50 am

2 down, and the buffie painted.
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:19 am

The final one. I don't know which was more difficult to paint, all the feathers on the teal, or all the colors on this guy.

Goldfish

Postby DukMan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Those teal are impressive in my book... I'm finally getting to a place where I can start doing a little whittling... I scored some bass wood from a neighbors who lost it in a wind storm and I'm told that make for good carving... so we will see.

Any tips starting out?
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:58 am

Seal the ends of the wood with something, and let it sit for a long time to dry otherwise it'll split on you
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:24 pm

Goldfish wrote:Seal the ends of the wood with something, and let it sit for a long time to dry otherwise it'll split on you
Titebond 3.

Now to "criticize". First...wow that's cool and I like it. Nice work.

On the other hand: Of course I've bought many dozens of Flambeaus. Many of my decoys were basically gathered for free from people who left their spreads out on public where it's not legal. Hunt over them once and they're yours because if you don't remove them you could be fined for not removing them despite the fact that other people's names are on them. I've found entire bags full and also pairs and singles. Seems kind of devilish but it's the law and man's law shall be followed too according to the bible.
:popcorn:

Wait til I die and you'll be able to buy betty's decoys for a song. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Previous

Return to Decoy Carving Forum