What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Mixed shot

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Marketing.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 am

Honestly didn't know anyone was still loading "duplex" shells. Thought it was a fad that came and went. I gather folks thought they were getting the advantages of both shot sizes, but they were also getting the disadvantages of both.

Best bird shots I know have shells they've come to favor, but they're going to kill with whatever you toss them, because they put it on the right end of the bird.
Rick

Postby Olly » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:23 pm

I've heard of people mixing #2 and #4. I've often wondered why they weren't sold that way.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Rick wrote:Honestly didn't know anyone was still loading "duplex" shells. Thought it was a fad that came and went. I gather folks thought they were getting the advantages of both shot sizes, but they were also getting the disadvantages of both.

Best bird shots I know have shells they've come to favor, but they're going to kill with whatever you toss them, because they put it on the right end of the bird.

This x 1,000.

The most effective duck load is 1oz of 8's fired by the bucket full in the warm months at clays, pigeons, crows, starlings, etc.

It's not the arrows, it's the Indian
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Coot83 wrote:..some are banded also

Quit shooting my damn homers.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:13 am

I've had racers tell me that they didn't want birds that had "crashed" with mine back. "Keep it, kill it, whatever suits you."

Mine get a lot of free flight time until the hawks migrate in and get thick, but I doubt many have been shot. Believe my oldest Chesapeake, aka: the coyote, is responsible for the greatest mortality other than my shooting them for training purposes or popping heads for dinner. He's caught dozens loafing on the lawn that didn't flush quick or high enough, and some get center punched when snagged.
Rick

Postby 3200 Man » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Most barn pigeons are not homers but a year of hunting
them I'll get 20 or so with bands
Considering I harvest close to
3000 a year that's not many !
I do call them in and most racers
are thankful !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3200 Man

Postby aunt betty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 am

How much steel shot with how much lead? A sprinkling of #2 steel mixed with #4 lead to fill in the gaps sounds pretty good.
Gotta have enough to where that magnet in green jeans' pocket will stick. 8-)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to The Shotgun Forum