Duck Calling

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: Duck Calling

Postby Goldfish » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Once again, it's reading birds. Some days you can't call enough, others they don't want to hear a thing. Keep it small to begin with like calling on the corners (youtube that. Delta waterfowl has a good video on it)
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:16 pm

You call when you see tips or tails. This means that if the ducks are doing what you want (coming straight at you) shut up and don't call.

If you call and call without stopping you will find that the ducks will circle three times and split. (bet you've seen that before).
When not to call is way more important than when to call. You call ducks when you want them to turn, NOT when they're doing what you want. Learn how much room they need for that final approach. Generally I let ducks get about 80-100 yards in front of me down-wind, then ask for that final turn. Call until they are heading right at where you want them, then stop.

Hunt in a rice field once with an experienced guide and you will see him doing what I just said.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:17 pm

He's apt to see this one call some of their faces all the way to the guns. Tips and tails is fine for birds that want to come, not so good for them what don't.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Rick, when you have a million or 4 million mallard ducks it takes a while for them all to fly over. (hours) Get real good at seeing which ones are callable and which ones will ignore you. Heavy wings...pour it on. If they're flap-flap-flappin' probably a waste of time.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Never had 4 million mallards flying over and can seldom settle for picking cherries if we're going to fill the straps. Had to learn to toll those not inclined to.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Am spoiled rotten. Cherry pickin is pretty accurate but will call until I'm sick of calling and then start cherry picking.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Welcome, nopould'eau. Gather you're a Louisiana boy.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 am

nopouldeau wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Once again, it's reading birds. Some days you can't call enough, others they don't want to hear a thing. Keep it small to begin with like calling on the corners (youtube that. Delta waterfowl has a good video on it)

Good advice here, start slow and try to pay attention to their response. Also pay attention to how they react throughout the season, beginning of the season will be totally different than the end.

Also pay attention to the dates on the post ;)

Welcome to the site :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby Throbbin Rods » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 am

Welcome aboard! To me very often less is more when calling. You don't need to blow your lungs out and try to control the birds' every move. Decoys with motion like a jerk string is worth more than calling to me.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Most who misspell poule d'eau do, indeed, seem products of our public school system...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Was still common in the country when I moved here, but you pretty near have to visit the funeral home to hear it now.
Rick

Postby ni43go » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:03 am

i dind
ni43go

Return to Duck Call Forum