Post Season 2017

Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:29 pm

Took the wife and daughter crabbing yesterday and netted this impressive specimen early on. Measured 91/4" wide, point tip to point tip. Claw spread when held open was 22". Not a blemish on this big dude. I would have never known it's exact measurement had it not been for a couple of guys, that on there second visit to my basket for a look I offered my cull board for a measurement. He was tasty!

20170211_081323_resized.jpg

With the big moon, the outgoing tide was strong and the water level dropped significantly, exposing lots of oyster beds.
20170211_082945_resized.jpg

Plans are still on for our work trip next weekend, and I'll try to take and post photos of our outing.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:57 am

Pretty sweet to have a lease where you can catch something besides stinkin' alligators in the off season.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:20 pm

From last hunt I made down that way in Jan 2010, we ran a few traps post-hunt:

DSC03457.JPG

DSC03458.JPG

Our Delacroix area is also a crab-loaded estuary
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm

We didn't make it out to the blind last weekend due to Blake having a dental issue, but we should be out there this Saturday. With the front coming through Friday night, we should have some fine weather for work. I'm curious as to what fowl may still be hanging around.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:52 pm

We're not allowed to fish or crab on our lease either, I just need to do a little work out there. Lowering my Ellie's launch pad is on my list, as well as transplanting and staking more cord grass bundles. Crabbers fish it outside of the season, but the main lease holder and his "people" do shrimp and crab all season. I sure wish he'd let us fish,though. I'd like to set a few crab traps while we're hunting. I could actually tie em to the decoys and use them as markers. That marsh is also full of large shrimp during teal season. They've jumped in the boat when were under way, and we've watched big groups of feeding red's rounding them up, water boiling.

I talked to the brother-in-law of the lease holder just a bit ago, who helps manage the place, and he is out there just about every week, and is out there now. He told me the water is way down now, so we should be able to get a lot accomplished with the transplanting. He also mentioned that there a lot of ducks out there,still hanging around. We'll head to the camp tomorrow evening to work on Sunday.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Not sure I'd ever leave if I ever got to go down there. Crab, crawdads, fish, ducks, geese, etc.
Y'all got it made.
If you want to look at corn I got ya covered. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm waiting to hear that they got to watch a teal show while they worked. I ran the dogs on the farm Jarren and his crew hunt yesterday and found some of everything hanging around and remarkably tame. But watching the little bluewing bunches dip and dive had me aching for September already.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Rick wrote:I'm waiting to hear that they got to watch a teal show while they worked. I ran the dogs on the farm Jarren and his crew hunt yesterday and found some of everything hanging around and remarkably tame. But watching the little bluewing bunches dip and dive had me aching for September already.

All morning long we were buzzed by green wing and blue wing. The whistles and high pitched quacks were pretty much constant and came from every direction.... It was really nice out there. The mottled ducks are back, and the big stud gadwall were pretty abundant. The spoon bill drakes are really handsome right now, and the divers are still there, but the dabblers took over the show. The teal really put on a good low altitude program this morning.

Things started out really good this morning, and seeing the birds was a great bonus. I got Ellie's launch pad lowered without much effort, and the ramp angle is now a whole lot shallower then it was. This is not only good for Ellie, but for the fat man that also uses it. We staked a few cord grass bundles that were around the blind and the pirogue hide, and we sat in the boat building a few more stakes before heading out to collect more bundles of grass. Well, we had borrowed the same pro-drive rig we had used earlier this season to do some work when the go devil was in the shop, I started it, and we got under way when it just died. It acted like a fuel starvation issue and I could not get it started again. After checking the fuel pump and a few other things, we ended up push polling the 3/4's of a mile, across big open water, in 15+ mph winds. I did try starting it a few times during our tiring journey.

When we got the boat out of the water I checked fire and it was good. I also poked around a bit trying a few other things to no avail. I told Blake as we were driving off, when we get back to the camp the damn thing will probably start..... and sure enough... it did. By this time it was slightly after noon and we had already washed the boat out, so we headed home. We will be heading back out there again soon to finish up the transplanting before the growing season gets too far along. The water level is low (normal) right now, and I hope it stays this way. A lot of marsh ponds we passed to and from the blind on 82 had many birds in em.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:48 am

DComeaux wrote:...we had borrowed the same pro-drive rig we had used earlier this season to do some work when the go devil was in the shop, I started it, and we got under way when it just died. It acted like a fuel starvation issue and I could not get it started again. After checking the fuel pump and a few other things, we ended up push polling the 3/4's of a mile, across big open water, in 15+ mph winds...

And that's why rice blinds command the big bucks. Always something to remind you that the marsh is the big dog.

Glad you got to see and hear a sweat show. What we found at Jarren's was an exception here. Most of the places I've been lately have been pretty barren, so maybe all the spring ag land activity has pushed most of what's still around to the marsh.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:...we had borrowed the same pro-drive rig we had used earlier this season to do some work when the go devil was in the shop, I started it, and we got under way when it just died. It acted like a fuel starvation issue and I could not get it started again. After checking the fuel pump and a few other things, we ended up push polling the 3/4's of a mile, across big open water, in 15+ mph winds...

And that's why rice blinds command the big bucks. Always something to remind you that the marsh is the big dog.

Glad you got to see and hear a sweat show. What we found at Jarren's was an exception here. Most of the places I've been lately have been pretty barren, so maybe all the spring ag land activity has pushed most of what's still around to the marsh.

The cost for rice luxury is out of reach for most commoners (me), or more then some are willing to pay, alone. .But it seems there is still a large pool of those that can, or will, and love to raise the stakes if need be. Hopefully the difference in logistics, and harder work in the marsh remains enough of a deterrent to keep me in the game. It's not as easy for me as it once was, when I was in my 20's for instance, but I can still make it happen. This marsh blind will either get me back in better shape, quick, or finish breaking me down... :lol: ........ I think I have quite a few more "marsh years" left in me, though. I just have to go about things a bit slower, with some pain I didn't have to deal with back then. Extra Strength Tylenol has become my friend.

What would happen if the speckled belly migration numbers begin dropping significantly? I don't think the ducks are the main driving force behind rice blind leases, anymore.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 pm

All the pressure and hoards of newbs with attitudes has me actually considering having that big decoy fire. Tired of fighting over a duck. When Milo dies I'm done.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:38 pm

DComeaux wrote:
What would happen if the speckled belly migration numbers begin dropping significantly?

Pretty sure Larry is the only one who's not convinced they already have. And he may well see it, too, on the region specific basis we're concerned with.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:45 pm

The oddest thing. We've had snow geese and specks here in Champaign County and I've never seen them here unless it was like one in a bunch of Canadas. Flocks of snows and specks were here last week.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 am

Well, after a good bit of thought and prayer, I'm bringing Ellie in for her first part of the heart worm treatment (one injection) on Monday. It seems heart guard didn't do it's job. She'll remain overnight, and I'll bring her in every week for the first month for a check up. The next months procedure is two shots and a two night stay at the vet. Again, the once a week check ups for a month. The third month is recovery and quite time, as is during the entire process. Hopefully by July, she'll be heart worm free and living the life without those damn worms around her heart.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 am

DComeaux wrote:Well, after a good bit of thought and prayer, I'm bringing Ellie in for her first part of the heart worm treatment (one injection) on Monday. It seems heart guard didn't do it's job. She'll remain overnight, and I'll bring her in every week for the first month for a check up. The next months procedure is two shots and a two night stay at the vet. Again, the once a week check ups for a month. The third month is recovery and quite time, as is during the entire process. Hopefully by July, she'll be heart worm free and living the life without those damn worms around her heart.

Sorry to hear that. Hope the treatment and recovery goes well and quickly.

aunt betty wrote:Not sure I'd ever leave if I ever got to go down there. Crab, crawdads, fish, ducks, geese, etc.
Y'all got it made.
If you want to look at corn I got ya covered. :clap:

Come on, I'm sure there are beans down your way as well. Don't under sell it. :mrgreen:
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Yeah spinner. The best season I ever had was hunting over a flooded bean field that was not harvested. (arkansas)
Getting that to happen in Champaign County would be epic but it's not likely. Once in a thousand years maybe.

Ho Lee Chit...I got over 13k posts. Blabby Betty.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:06 am

DComeaux wrote:...It seems heart guard didn't do it's job.

I AM NOT A VETERINARIAN, but Heart Guard contains a much, much, much smaller dosage of ivermectin than is safe for most dogs, presumably because it could be given to one of the herding breeds that do not tolerate it well, and their dosage has become inefficient for some strain(s) found largely in the lower Mississippi Valley.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:...It seems heart guard didn't do it's job.

I AM NOT A VETERINARIAN, but Heart Guard contains a much, much, much smaller dosage of ivermectin than is safe for most dogs, presumably because it could be given to one of the herding breeds that do not tolerate it well, and their dosage has become inefficient for some strain(s) found largely in the lower Mississippi Valley.

My vet mentioned a recent study (last few years) that was conducted on ivermectin and it's effectiveness. It seems those ta tai's have become immune to it, and I had read about this some time back. She will be put on "pro heart" (moxidectin) injections every six months going forward..... Vet recommendation. He also mentioned a topical application that I wasn't too excited about, and neither was he.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Hope all goes well for 'ol girl.

Have to check to see what Harry is on, thought it was HeartGuard or something along those lines with that active ingredient. Are there some early symptoms to watch out for?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Darren wrote:Hope all goes well for 'ol girl.

Have to check to see what Harry is on, thought it was HeartGuard or something along those lines with that active ingredient. Are there some early symptoms to watch out for?

Darren, Ellie has no outward signs. The only way I found out was through the blood work. IMO, if they show the signs of coughing, fall over when running (passing out), or lack of energy, they are severely infested. I've witnessed all of these signs in other dogs.

There is also kennel cough, that I'm not very familiar with, but is said to resemble the cough in the video. The cough can also be a sign of heart worms. . The best way to check and be sure, is a blood test.

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08 pm

DComeaux wrote:My vet mentioned a recent study (last few years) that was conducted on ivermectin and it's effectiveness. It seems those ta tai's have become immune to...

Pretty sure a closer look would reveal that some can survive Heartguard's low dosage, rather than having an "immunity" to ivermectin. I don't know anyone who's had a dog test positive for larvae when using the very common "off label" dosage of .1cc of 1% Ivermec per 10lbs of dog weight or more monthly (a vet I may or may not have discussed it with may or may not have said the full cc my sub 70lbers get wouldn't hurt), which is a much stronger dose than what's in Heartguard.

By the same token, if your vet were still using the old quick kill treatment, from which I've seen the worst possible results, I would have suggested looking into an "off label" one using heavier, yet, dosing of Ivermec that doesn't just prevent the adult heartworms from reproducing but stunts their growth, significantly shortens their life span and allows them to enter the blood stream at a slower rate less likely to clog it than those killed all at once with arsenic.

It is my understanding, btw, that vets are not supposed (or allowed?) to recommend off label treatments and many are understandably reluctant to cut themselves or colleagues out of a highly profitable income source, so you might have had to dig some to find that sort of thing from a more official source, but they're out there.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:My vet mentioned a recent study (last few years) that was conducted on ivermectin and it's effectiveness. It seems those ta tai's have become immune to...

Pretty sure a closer look would reveal that some can survive Heartguard's low dosage, rather than having an "immunity" to ivermectin. I don't know anyone who's had a dog test positive for larvae when using the very common "off label" dosage of .1cc of 1% Ivermec per 10lbs of dog weight or more monthly (a vet I may or may not have discussed it with may or may not have said the full cc my sub 70lbers get wouldn't hurt), which is a much stronger dose than what's in Heartguard.

By the same token, if your vet were still using the old quick kill treatment, from which I've seen the worst possible results, I would have suggested looking into an "off label" one using heavier, yet, dosing of Ivermec that doesn't just prevent the adult heartworms from reproducing but stunts their growth, significantly shortens their life span and allows them to enter the blood stream at a slower rate less likely to clog it than those killed all at once with arsenic.

It is my understanding, btw, that vets are not supposed (or allowed?) to recommend off label treatments and many are understandably reluctant to cut themselves or colleagues out of a highly profitable income source, so you might have had to dig some to find that sort of thing from a more official source, but they're out there.

A guy I work with, whose father-in-law was a vet, (retired), has mentioned what you speak of on several occasions. I just don't have the gonads to try it. Seems a few he knows have treated with this "off label" treatment with good successes, confirmed with a blood test. I have no doubt that a higher dose of Ivermectin would be the ticket for prevention, but I've heard of liver damage/failure being an issue if you over do it.

This is the ingredients in Heart Guard. UG is micrograms

Active Ingredient/Active Moiety
Ingredient Name Basis of Strength Strength
ivermectin (ivermectin) ivermectin 68 ug
pyrantel pamoate (pyrantel) pyrantel 57 mg
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Read this

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2008/05/billion-dollar-heartworm-scam.html

Is curing heartworm expensive and difficult?
No it is not. Any veterinarian who tells you otherwise is not keeping up with the literature. It turns out that even if your dog has adult heartworms, if the dog otherwise appears healthy (i.e. it is active, not lethargic, and does not have a chronic cough), a monthly dosing of Ivermectin at a dosage normally used to kill roundworms (a dosage that is 3 times higher than that used to simply prevent heartworm), plus a once-a-month 5-day dosing of Doxycycline (sold as Bird Biotic, and the same antibiotic used to treat Lyme disease) will kill all the adult heartworms if it is sustained for a period of 18 months. This treatment works better than previous Ivermectin-only treatments because the Doxycline wipes out the Wolbachia microbe that grow in the gut of the adult heartworm, essentially sterilizing all of the female heartworms. A round-worm strength dosing of monthly Ivermectin will not only prevent new heartworm microfilaria from taking hold in your dog, it will also work to dramatically shorten the life of any existing adult worms in your dog. Bottom line: after 18 months of treatment, your dog will be heartworm-free at very little cost compared to other remedies.
. . . . . A repeated caution, however: if you have border collies or herding dogs with white feet that also appear to have full-blown heartworm, consult a veterinarian, as some lines of collies are very susceptible to Ivermectin toxicity. This is very rare, and the cause is unknown, but it is an area of concern among collies and collie-crosses.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:13 pm

That's pretty much what I'm talking about, albeit from sources other than that one.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 am

I dropped my girl off early this morning.... Feeling very uneasy at the moment. She was her usual wide open, happy self... Please Lord, let this go good.

20170313_071755.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:32 am

Good Luck Dave!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:38 am

Fingers and paws crossed...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:43 am

Reports are she has taken it well and is doing good... I pick her up at noon and bring her home. I'm very curious of what her demeanor will be. Not often have I seen her down.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 am

I'm sure she'll be relieved to be home, in any event.
Rick

Next

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017