Preseason

Preseason

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am

I don't do a lot preseason for duck and geese, but I have done/will do a little more than normal.

Ordered a case of shells.

Got a speck call just to play with. Might head to a part of the state where they actually see a few. Right now I'd scare them and everything away. Having fun. Sound terrible. Actually terrible would be an improvement, but starting to make some speck like sounds.

Thinking about adding some duck silhouettes. Our season runs about a week later than normal because of when the saturdays fall. If we get an early freeze and snow, should have some good late season field hunting for mallards.

Thinking about adding snow goose socks. One problem in the late season is when there is no snow on the ground, it's hard to decoy the Canadas. The decoys just don't stand out like they do when there is snow on the ground. The dark against dark. I'm thinking maybe a bunch of white motion will catch there eye a long ways off. I've seen plenty of Canadas decoy to an all snow spread. Going to give it a try. Plus I have them if I travel or to PA where I might cross paths with a few white geese.

The main thing I do this time of year is start putting out the trail cams and getting the archery area ready by clearing shooting lanes and making sure trees and stuff didn't block any of the trails I'd like the deer to use. The trail cams are really just for fun, but it starts getting me excited about the fall.

I have seen all kinds of things while hunting, but what is funny to me. I have never seen hide nor hair of a coyote when I've had a gun or bow in my hand. They are all over the place. I get lots of pictures of them right where I hunt.
Wiley.JPG

Last year I tried growing corn for the deer. It was going well and then one of these fat bastards moved in an cleared every ear from my little plot.
Rocky.JPG

The kind of deer I normally get with my bow :lol: They are easy to drag and they taste good. Never pass on a deer until I have one in the freezer.
Bambi.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Re: Preseason

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:04 pm

October 21 in the north zone where I do most of my early hunting and a week later in the central where I hunt after we freeze which runs to December 26 this year. We have no split which I would love.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Took the trolling motor off and will go over a little later and put the big headlight on. I'm the only one up here that runs a big ass light. If it's stars or a little moonlight you don't need it on the lake.
Did you notice the sign that says waterfowlers are exempt from the no wake thing?
That place we hunted is no wake everywhere during the rest of the year.
Basically the kiddie end of the lake.
Get out on the big water part and it's hazardous. I do it but you really gotta know that lake.
Clinton can get where there are 5 or 6 foot wave crests.

I finally opened up this old chest in the shed. Had all sorts of old papers and stacks of post cards from the 1900's 1910's 20's 30's. So far I found two rare stamps that are valued in the thousands "according to the internet".
Big stack of ones that range from 40 cents to 40 dollars.
The post marks will make them more valuable.
The post cards have value too.

Who'd a thunk that old shit would ever be worth anything?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 am

aunt betty wrote:Who'd a thunk that old **** would ever be worth anything?

A lot of people end up throwing away valuable stuff that they think is old junk.

Although not nearly as many people as think their old junk is valuable stuff. :thumbsup:

Pretty cool.

aunt betty wrote:Clinton can get where there are 5 or 6 foot wave crests.

I have no doubt, get a stiff wind blowing along the axis of a big lake like that.

I made the mistake of taking my wife to the Fox Chain O Lakes on the 4th of July. If you've never been, it gets crazy up there with recreational boaters. What do you expect when the one lake has a bar in the middle of it.

http://blarneyisland.com/

But the plan was get there early, make a lap around the Chain. It's about 10 miles around. So no reason to hurry, plenty of time to spend a few hours exploring it. It's a pretty cool place to see and a nice place to run around in a boat in the morning. However, at about 10:30 or so and maybe 3-4 miles away from the ramp. The wind really started kicking up.

My boat goes about 20 maybe 25 mph. 4 miles is less than 15 minutes run. However, the waves quickly kicked up to 3-4 footers. Not unsafe at all in my boat, but running at 20 mph is out of the question. The 15 minute run is now an hour.

The pleasure boats start hitting the water heavier with every passing minute. I made a wrong turn on the one lake which would have been 5 minutes out of the way, but when your top speed is <10 mph, it was 15 minutes or more until I realized it and then 15 minutes or more to correct it.

This put me at the Grass Lake bridge, which is now bumper to bumper boats backed up to get under the narrow bridge in 4' seas mixed in with mornings in big ass boats ripping around making the chop horrible.

The wind and the spray from the waves slapping the bow, we were all soaked completely by the time we got back. Over an hour of that is not the recreational boating I was looking for. :oops:

I'm pretty sure my wife will never be going back to the Chain O Lakes with me :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 am

Spinner I'm just scratching the surface here.
The hoard is vast.

This old thing is extremely valuable. You'd never guess what I could get for it on Knob Hill in San Fransisco.
It's about 150 years old.
Click on the picture and it'll be upright.

It's a kitchen pantry. That thing hanging out is a flour sifter. Push on it and it folds up into the cabinet.
20170802_085753.jpg

I could trade that sucker for a new 4x4.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to SpinnerMan 2016-2017