Last Day Early Season Goose - Coastal Alabama

Honk!

Last Day Early Season Goose - Coastal Alabama

Postby Deltaman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:48 pm

I typically don't target geese down here, but because our local Canadian goose population is growing, and we shot 6 of them last year while hunting ducks, I went ahead and invested $200 for 8 floaters to add to our spread this year. While dove hunting two weekends ago, at a farm in Baldwin County, the farmer noted that he had been seeing a group of them using the same field we were hunting doves in, and wanted to know if I wanted to hunt'em.............oh hail yes! Our early goose season is from Sept 1st-30th. Last Saturday (9/30), I took my stepson to the farm, well before daylight, and set up along a fence line on the Northern border of the field, using a small garden shovel to prop up 3 of my "floater" decoys in the dirt, about 25 yds out into the field. We were able to roll two bales of hay from the bordering field, to the fence line and form a "V" with them. The two bales, along with my burlap dove blind, under a 15" high popcorn tree, and we were well hidden. Around 6:30 a.m., we heard them coming from behind us, and held still as they passed right over our heads, not 20' high. Sure enough, there were 8 of them, and they passed over the decoys, made a bank into the wind, and set their wings while coming to us. Damn things decided they wanted to try and sit down about 50 yds out, so it turned into s a "now or never" moment. I'm not a big believer in 3 1/2" shells over 3" shells for waterfowl, but they damn sure made a difference on the longer shots. We folded 3 of them and crippled a 4th. That was the first time I've ever hunted dry ground for waterfowl, and not having to deal with a boat, made it that much sweeter. Sorry, only took pics with phone, and have not downloaded tap-a-crap.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Last Day Early Season Goose - Coastal Alabama

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:02 pm

:beer:

I enjoy hunting dry ground. Nothing like simply driving up to your spot, dump all your gear, go park the vehicle out of the way and walk back to your spot carrying nothing. :thumbsup:

SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 am

Hard to get used to the notion of an early Canada season on the Gulf Coast.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 am

I've been watching the local population grow over the last 10 years, and they are starting to be considered a nuisance in some areas. Although the state has given us an early goose season in September, I have yet to see anybody actually target them, and considering the huge uptick in new duck hunters over the past several years, gives me something to chase without fighting a crowd............for now anyway :roll:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Return to Goose Hunting Forum