Serious question

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Serious question

Postby don novicki » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am

Personally, I think the number of ducks out there is way lower than they are telling us. Everywhere you read, on all of these web sites all say the same thing.No ducks! If there is a big decrease in the numbers,because the harvest has been declining almost yearly, what happened? Just to throw this out there what about today's agricultural practices specifically : corn. We all know that no mallard alive can resist a flooded corn field or one with lots of waste corn but today's corn isn't the same corn your grand pappy grew. Now everything is genetically modified and Round Up ready and I don't think they spare the insecticide. What do you guys think? Are the ducks in trouble? Just wondering on this duckless Pa. Day....
don novicki

Re: Serious question

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 pm

We see a ton of mallards most years after duck season closes. Two years ago me and a buddy watched mallards flying out from the cooling lake nonstop for hours. There wasn't a point we couldn't see at least 100 mallards in the air. Nothing we could do but watch the show.

On the Susquehanna where I grew up, I don't see a single duck most times I am home. Crossed the river several times the last couple days and haven't seen anything but a few seagulls.

I think the numbers are real, but the behavior and distribution had changed for the worse for a lot of people.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I think the numbers are real, but the behavior and distribution had changed for the worse for a lot of people.

Bingo! So while over all habitat has declined specialized managed habitat has increased. Fewer hunters are killing the majority of the birds.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: I think the numbers are real, but the behavior and distribution had changed for the worse for a lot of people.

This is my thoughts as well. As of late, it seems your either in em, or not.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 pm

It comes n goes. There are years where the refuge at such an such gets packed but oh yeah...they failed to repair breech in levee for so long that the refuge no longer is a refuge. Nevermind you get the picture. It went.
They say that if we'd just send more munny... :duck:

About the serious question. Real #'s ?
The numbers come from the same polling and survey company that told us that there was a 98.2% chance that Hillary would get elected by a landslide. The numbers are totally real. :thumbsup:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby outboardman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Spinner what part of Susquehanna did you grow up on,It's a long river.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Got to love the mud.
outboardman

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:39 pm

outboardman wrote:Spinner what part of Susquehanna did you grow up on,It's a long river.

Right where the north and west branch meet.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:24 pm

I just spent the better parts of three weeks back home and crossed the Susquehanna many times and drove the stretch from Sunbury to Harrisburg several times. I saw the must ducks in years. About a half dozen mallards and a few small ducks, probably teal. :shock: :(
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 am

When I started seeing more and more duck hunters trying to hunt at the place I know damned good and well sucks indicated to me that a whole lot of guys younger than me spent too much time watching Phil Robertson and family making it look easy.
Duck hunter numbers are way way up from my observations. Used to have the place alone for many yrs.

What I saw in Arkansas was a whole lot of ppl going where the ducks got shot up yesterday. The grape vine is intense and everyone in the state knows who killed what where by two-thirty.
The ducks fly from one WMA to the next trying to keep one jump ahead. If you aren't connected to the vine it would appear that nobody ever kills anything. Lot of suck days...shoulda been here yesterday. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:21 am

I didn't see one single duck hunter. Used to see quite a few when I used to see quite a few ducks and geese.
SpinnerMan

Return to The Blind