Hunting Method Question

Honk!

Re: Hunting Method Question

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 pm

I don't see it any different then walking up wood cock or flushing quail, but with ducks we have the option to set out decoys and try to coax them in. Creeping and water swatting wouldn't be sporting, though.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 am

It's called pond-hopping once you get good at it.
As a young man I did a lot of it. Things were way different 40 years ago. Unlimited access.

Found all the little holes in frozen ditches I hunted for pheasants. Sort of started by accident but once I'd cleaned a pair of greenheads and figured out that they're bigger and tastier than a pheasant my taste changed. Moved up to stalking borrow pits and then the Canada geese started piling up. Have done a few wild goose chases. :lol:

Before you could say "spit" I'd bought some decoys and some hip boots. Then a dog. Then dreamed about a boat-blind and finally got one. It never ends and we all started somewhere.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 am

Creeping ducks in the flooded woods and water swatting them is a lot harder to do than it sounds. Doing it on dry ground to a pond or slough takes patience and the ability to move silently.

I'm not good at either so that's how I know all this... ;)
Ducaholic

Postby Throbbin Rods » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm

You might try sneak hunting in a canoe if there are large streams or rivers near you. Front guy shoots, rear guy paddles. Hug tight to the insides of corners and come around slow. We kill a lot of ducks doing this. Use google earth to identify likely spots, and talk to old guys who don't hunt any more for ideas. The Secret Float came about because my then 90 year old uncle told me about the place. You would never know from the road that you could spend 4 or 5 hours paddling from there and on an average day see 30-35 ducks
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm

My aunts and uncles along with my grandma and grampa did a lot of pass-shooting around the Watertown, South Dakota area and they all laugh at me with my decoys and calls.
My grandfather hunted with live decoys on Lake Kampeska for decades.
Every area has it's own style. Have heard some odd things about duck hunting in Wisconsin but it was just one guy who went one week with some ppl with really poor ethics. He said they were pond-hopping on motorcycles. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Goose Hunting Forum