2017-2018 Season Log

Re: 2017-2018 Season Log

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:29 pm

1/7/2018
Overcast low 50's 5 to 10 ESE wind with rain showers moving through. Went calm for half an hour after the first shower then returned.

Me, Blake and Bill

Birds - 4 - 3 GW 1 pintail drake

Not many low birds moving this morning, but the big wads of teal are still there. For the first hour or more we had flock, after flock, after flock of high pintail coming from the north. It was a constant stream. We also saw a few bunches of mallards mixed in. Blake and I made ourselves dizzy on the call to no avail. The water is still really low and I hope it stays this way through growing season.

I left Blake and Bill at the camp and they'll be hunting the next couple of mornings together. Blake will have a couple of others join him Wednesday evening for a couple of hunts and fishing for the remainder of the week.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:40 pm

1/8/2018
Overcast temp in the 50's ---Fog in an out

Blake and Bill

Birds - 4 - 1 pintail hen 1 spoon 2 GW teal

As has been, we have birds in the marsh but they're just not moving from their safe spots.... I think we're all content with what this season gave us, and the camp life is a bonus. We'll just coast to a happy ending.

My thoughts have already turned to what we can do to make that big blind disappear, and it will take a lot of work. I'm also contemplating a move that would have us sinking the pit in the marsh nearby our current blind. I've already scoped out a spot, I just have to get the approval of the lease holder. I could drop the guys at the blind and walk back, or the pirouge option would even work well in these protected, small waters.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Dave, can you hunt other spots in the same area? Just curious if it would pay to set up against another patch of grass and just hunt from the boat? If so, you could build a small boat blind against a much smaller island as a plan B when needed, even take down when not hunting it so that you could move from spot to spot to fool those educated birds?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 pm

No, we have a set area to hunt from, as there are other blinds on this property, but the move would only be 100 yards, max. I'm doubtful that we'll get to move, so I need to make the blind look like the many nearby stands of roseau clumps from overhead.

This shot was taken in Late January of last year. You can see the large area of the boat hide where I need vertical camo (3D) to break up that rectangular outline. The sunken pit is on the upper left corner. Low birds aren't an issue, but if I were one working over this, I'd leave too.

Blind.jpg

This is a shot of the blind now from feet down level. I just need to make the top look like this. You can't see em, but just out of frame right are many clumps of roseau like this growing nicely in the marsh, so we'd not be such a sore thumb.
20171125_125838.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Even a short move of 75-100 yds can make a dif sometimes. Maybe leave your pit decoys in place, and put a small set of 8-10 (of your best) decoys out in a spot down the bank (with you in small boat blind), like the birds didn't want to land near the big blind, and lit short.......as the bastages are want to do. Sometimes a small change like this can fool educated birds, and it's not that much work. I might be misunderstanding your answer of no, but you mentioned 100 yards, as if that might be the extent of your blind placement in the area? Seems very frustrating to be seeing lots of birds in the area, but not seeing them finish to your set.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Fwiw, my boat hide's "roof" is made up of sections of 2x4" hog wire with gaps I can stand up and work in between them, and while I lay a thin layer of horizontal canes on top of it, the real camo cover is created by more vertical canes angled down through the outside edges of the wire do that they make a realistic cane patch appearing canopy over it. Doesn't take a whole lot, just enough to keep it from looking like Walmart's roof.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Deltaman wrote:Even a short move of 75-100 yds can make a dif sometimes. Maybe leave your pit decoys in place, and put a small set of 8-10 (of your best) decoys out in a spot down the bank (with you in small boat blind), like the birds didn't want to land near the big blind, and lit short.......as the bastages are want to do. Sometimes a small change like this can fool educated birds, and it's not that much work. I might be misunderstanding your answer of no, but you mentioned 100 yards, as if that might be the extent of your blind placement in the area? Seems very frustrating to be seeing lots of birds in the area, but not seeing them finish to your set.

Just moving about is frowned upon when you have a permanent spot, which is fine by me. If all did that it would be a mess. We need the safe zones for the birds.

Rick wrote:Fwiw, my boat hide's "roof" is made up of sections of 2x4" hog wire with gaps I can stand up and work in between them, and while I lay a thin layer of horizontal canes on top of it, the real camo cover is created by more vertical canes angled down through the outside edges of the wire do that they make a realistic cane patch appearing canopy over it. Doesn't take a whole lot, just enough to keep it from looking like Walmart's roof.

I will have to cut holes in the existing wire for access to the center of the "Walmart roof"..I like that ...and had planned on building a vertical frame with wire, laying fast grass at a steep angle on both sides. I have in mind to dress in roseau tops with tassels through that. The door will be (2) 4x4 fast grass mats with the split down the middle. I will weave in roseasu in those too.

It's just the initial build will be a chore, and I'm thinking the maintenance will not be too bad.. Harvesting roseau is not my favorite passtime.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 pm

1/9/2018
Overcast temp in the 50's --- moderate north wind

Blake and Bill

Birds - 2 - 1 spoon 1 gadwall

Talked to Blake just a bit ago and he told me that the ducks are still plentiful, but there's no one hunting and the birds aren't moving. He did say they saw a good bit of teal trafficking the boat ditch, which is 200 yards to our west. They've done this all season, and were breaking off dumping into our pond. Not so much anymore.

Can't get em all to come in, and I like seeing and knowing there are birds around. Those days in the not too distant past of nothingness was hard to deal with.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:07 pm

1/11/2018
Winds SE 10-12 temp 63 low overcast

Blake, Ryan and Wes (friends of Blake who are brothers)

Birds - 14 - 4 GW 2 BW 2 spoons 6 scaup 1 ring neck

These two guys didn't pick up their lease this year and were ready to hunt. I'm assuming Blake passed on the dos gris.
The boys are currently ripping up the redfish and flounder in a road side canal.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Wanted to add Blake's picture for 1/11

47618.jpeg
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm

That'll work! Excited to be like Rick and get to hunt every day.....for the next three days at least. :lol:

Last week had the "redfish jubilee" ON down near the shell beach camp. Happens every year when it gets really cold and water gets low. See below

Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Darren wrote:That'll work! Excited to be like Rick and get to hunt every day.....for the next three days at least. :lol:

Your FIL filled out with Ed today. Said the mallards were flying well - after they'd packed up near curfew. (Pretty sure everyone in the marsh finished or only missed by what was lost.)
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Darren wrote:That'll work! Excited to be like Rick and get to hunt every day.....for the next three days at least. :lol:

Last week had the "redfish jubilee" ON down near the shell beach camp. Happens every year when it gets really cold and water gets low. See below

That is some fun, and luckily we don't have to deal with the crowds. No one is out there. They caught about 30 total and a couple of flounder. They kept 9 reds. Headed back to the camp to start a cowboy stew.

Edit to add: Rick's a poo poo head, as I've heard jealous children exclaim. :mrgreen:
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Rick wrote:just enough to keep it from looking like Walmart's roof.
The Canada geese (and ducks) live on the roof of walmart in the spring. They raise chicks and when it's time to come down they go down thru the gutter downspouts.
Maybe you need to make it look MORE like a walmart roof. @
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:22 pm

aunt betty wrote:
The Canada geese (and ducks) live on the roof of walmart in the spring. They raise chicks and when it's time to come down they go down thru the gutter downspouts.

I laughed out load, betty... :lol:
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:26 pm

DComeaux wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

I laughed out load, betty... :lol:
They showed it on the TV news here. It was cute as heck but... We get ducks in weird places like stranded under a grate on the interstate. They nest in some odd places and defend their turf. It's a big problem in the lah-tee-dah neighborhoods.

I really should take some video of where the ducks are. Private land owned by the University of Illinois near the feed lots. If Trump was a duck hunter I'd try and take him there. ;)

For a joke google lincolnshire fields country club in champaign. I bet you can see the ducks in the water hazards.

There is a field near the gold course that has somehow resisted development. Has a ditch we used to hunt when I was a kid. That ditch today is packed with greenheads and will be all winter. It stays open and them country club idiots all feed the waterfowl so...
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Ok I'm going to commit a social media sin and post a picture of other people's ducks.
This is as close as you'll ever get to a report from me saying what I shot.
I'd a let that spoonie go.

Gee that strap looks like mine! CUSTOM MADE
Gary gave me one too.

Gee the more I look at that Hollywood...I'm thinking that's one for the wall. Green head and everything.

14202.jpeg
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm

That's a good looking redhead. I have my eye on the nicely plumed spoon drakes at our place. May take one or two this weekend if I get a chance.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Those are Adam's ducks. I think he's at the clubhouse in Knoble.
For a long time all the spoons I shot were fully plumed because I thought they were mallards.
My start in waterfowl was rough. Learned to just not shoot the brown ones because I couldn't tell what they were until I picked them up. You might have to wait a few years (or decades)
to meet someone else who is honest enough to admit it.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Blake and company wussed out this morning and did breakfast near the wood burning stove instead. Mr. Mike, the retired gentleman on our place, who hunts about a mile and a quarter south of us got his single man limit of grays, teal and spoons this morning.

I'll be headed down there shortly.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm

1/13/2018
Winds N 10-15 gusty temp upper 30's...Face burning cold

Me & Blake

Birds - 3 - 1- GW 1-mallard drake 1-gadwall

Not a lot of movement this morning in this wind. First up, a pair gadwall right at LST just outside the decoys. Both chipped and was able to only recover one of the lively birds. Flock of mallards to our east broke hard to the call and dropped all the way to the blind. I was expecting them to cross left to right over the decoy, but I lost em for a second and when I rose to look, they were feet down just outside the boat hide door. I had the only shot, which was over the carrier runway (boat hide). After the drake fell the wind took the others away in a hurray.
Flock of green wing east side, again over the runway, skimming the water. After the first shot, dropping the one teal, the rest rose into the sun, no joy. Two limits of scaup was attainable, and drake buffle heads are looking really good right now, and would make for easy pickings. One flock of pintail, mostly drakes, played with our emotions, the rat bastages.

The lease holder hunted solo in his blind, which is a couple of miles south of us taking his 6 fairly quick, grays and teal. The other blind that hunted, which is about a mile and quarter south of us took only two, one being a pintail drake headed for the wall.

My son is his way down here right now to make his first duck hunt year. He's been busy with his new family, which is growing larger by the year. I'm really excited to have him joining us at the camp, and having him in the blind in the morning. It's been a while.

Our birds. The colors are getting bright. I want a drake spoon. Saw a few well dressed ones this morning.

47850.jpeg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm

So that's why our last mallard was a no-show.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Hey DC, we were packing up at 2 pm today and 6 mallards came in the decoys...of course my gun was securely strapped in its case...perfectly harmless...my 2 guys had yet to put there’s up though and dispatched 3 drakes while I played cheerleader.....

Funny how they can catch you like that sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Rick wrote:So that's why our last mallard was a no-show.

He was full of rice. Very fat

Ericdc wrote:Hey DC, we were packing up at 2 pm today and 6 mallards came in the decoys...of course my gun was securely strapped in its case...perfectly harmless...my 2 guys had yet to put there’s up though and dispatched 3 drakes while I played cheerleader.....

Been in some similar situations..That really sucks.. :lol:
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 am

Ericdc wrote:Hey DC, we were packing up at 2 pm today and 6 mallards came in the decoys...of course my gun was securely strapped in its case...perfectly harmless...my 2 guys had yet to put there’s up though and dispatched 3 drakes while I played cheerleader.....

Nothing more reliable than the Chamber of Commerce birds coming by to say, "Y'all come back." Yesterday ours were low, slow specks coming from the rice, which are the kind we're most apt to trip. Well, "most apt to trip" if we aren't packed up and taking a hero pic.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 pm

1/14/2018
Winds NE 5-10 temp upper 20's
Me , Blake and Justin

Birds - Elvis has left the building......

Very empty skies this morning, and I hated that for Justin. Even the divers were absent. We sat until 8:30, and in that time the shooting was the least we've heard all season, it was awful quiet. We did see good groups of GW milling about but they know whats up, and they'd all pile in together just to our east. It was cold in that wind, and those that hunted around us were vacating the marsh before we did and the stir wasn't impressive, so we left.

I'm hoping we can close next weekend with a few ducks on the strap. If next Saturday's hunt is like today's, we'll be packing up then and calling it done. At least the forecast is for warmer conditions, which will make it comfortable for decoy pickup.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Will be heading to the camp in just a bit my gaggle. The wife, my son and daughter-in-law, the three grandbaby's, and Blake. My daughter will be joining us tomorrow afternoon. Two blinds hunted this morning in our marsh and limited out. I hope we have something to shoot at in the morning.

The neighboring camp is having what they call "porkapolooza" . Every dish has to contain pork, even the desert. Whole hog in the ground, gratons, you name it. If it's pork, it'll be there. Should be interesting, and I'm sure things will get a bit rowdy over there tomorrow evening.

In April or May they have "crabapolooza". This is a crab and shrimp tournament (Largest) with those combined and boiled at the end of the day. We we're working on the camp last year at that time and missed out.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Friend of mine used to make a dish that would fit in well there, called “Muslim delight”

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:29 pm

1/20/2018
Clouds, light rain-Winds SE 5-10 temp 50's
Me , Blake and Justin

Birds - 4 - 2 GW 2 spoon bill

The birds are gone.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018