Deltaman Log

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Deltaman Log

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am

Date: 1/27/18

Time: LST

Cloud Cover: Some

Wind Direction and Velocity: Light North wind

Temperature: upper 40's

Moon phase:

Special Notes: Last hunt of the year for us, and no way was I gonna fight the "last weekend" craziness on the Lower Delta.

Waterfowl Activity: Much lighter than expected, and most flying much higher. The birds were skittish, and I can't help but wonder if the two boats that saw us last weekend haven't hunted it some during the week.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Tough, and passed on most shots

Hunters: Dustin and myslef

Guns: m2, SBEII

Malfunctions: None

Dog(s):

Special Equipment: Still,lovin me some palmetto's for cover, and we added some of the upper delta cane (different from our lower delta Roseau), blinding out against the bank, at the foot of a large cypress tree.

Curses: Just the lack of action for our last hunt

Kudos: Short daylight hunt, much better on my ailing lower back

Birds By Species: 2 Woodrows

Photo Ops:

Lagniappe:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:20 am

Deltaman wrote:Malfunctions: Dustin's ADHD makes it tough for him to hold a gun without bumping it on his foot, or the bottom of the boat, and it cost him a couple of times, with the dreaded Benelli "click"

A friend of mine's SBE was especially problematic, and he eliminated the issue by dremmeling much of the hump out of bolt cam. (On the advice of a Benelli source who, understandably, didn't want quoted.) Have to wonder if that's not also the modification employed by in the new "click-free" SBEs?
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 am

And thanks for sharing your season!
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am

Love the guns, but have found that they need cleaning much more often than others. Most issues are from manually loading a shell and not allowing it to release forward on it's own, but I have bumped them too hard and had the same effect. My stepson, being ADHD, has a hard time with it, and the main reason I bought him a Nova just before the season. Wouldn't ya know it, the Nova had firing pin issues, and had to be sent back to Benelli..........and they still have it........dammit! Thankfully, I had a 2nd gun that he was able to use during the season, albeit another auto instead of a pump, and the issues were very apparent.

Went thru my log book at home last night to make a final season tally, and here are the numbers, including 1 hunt during September teal season, 2 days of SE Louisiana hunts, and the remainder of the season locally. Had some motor issues at the front end of the season, and that cost me a few hunting days, but the purchase of a new Yammie 25 hp took care of the issue, and got us back on the water.

18 hunts/ 137 ducks= 7.61 ducks per hunt avg. (much better than last year, and the bumper crop of swamp acorns that kept Woodrow in good numbers, was our season highlight). Had a fairly broad list of species as well:
46 Wood Ducks
33 Gadwalls
21 Bluebills
10 Redheads
9 B.W. Teal
5 G.W. Teal
5 Pintails
2 Mottles
3 Buffalo (couldn't resist, slow day)
1 Widgeon
1 Shoveller
1 Hooded Merg

Notes: One of the September blue wing teal had a band, and we had a hen Woodrow during big duck season that was banded. Not included was 2 Canadian Geese we killed in a dove field back in the special early September Goose Season.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 am

Rick wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Malfunctions: Dustin's ADHD makes it tough for him to hold a gun without bumping it on his foot, or the bottom of the boat, and it cost him a couple of times, with the dreaded Benelli "click"

A friend of mine's SBE was especially problematic, and he eliminated the issue by dremmeling much of the hump out of bolt cam. (On the advice of a Benelli source who, understandably, didn't want quoted.) Have to wonder if that's not also the modification employed by in the new "click-free" SBEs?

Good to know Rick, and i might need to do some online searching for this fix, Thanks!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:33 am

I usually have coffee with him at a local shop and will ask about the procedure in the morning, as I didn't have an issue with mine to prompt closer attention to it. If I don't get back with you tomorrow or the next day, remind me.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:54 am

Now that you 'splained it it all comes back to me. The first semi I borrowed was gas-powered and fit me perfect so I've not dabbled in binellis other than shooting other peoples' to show them that they hit what you point 'em at. (they do)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

Nice season! thanks for sharing with us
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:43 am

Rick wrote:I usually have coffee with him at a local shop and will ask about the procedure in the morning, as I didn't have an issue with mine to prompt closer attention to it. If I don't get back with you tomorrow or the next day, remind me.

Forgot to ask yesterday, but just stuck a Benelli bolt in my pocket to help me remember today. That, and I want to be absolutely certain I've got what he was advised and worked for him right before tempting anyone else to make the modification.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 am

Rick wrote:
Rick wrote:I usually have coffee with him at a local shop and will ask about the procedure in the morning, as I didn't have an issue with mine to prompt closer attention to it. If I don't get back with you tomorrow or the next day, remind me.

Forgot to ask yesterday, but just stuck a Benelli bolt in my pocket to help me remember today. That, and I want to be absolutely certain I've got what he was advised and worked for him right before tempting anyone else to make the modification.

Thanks Rick!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 am

005a.jpg

The area Ric was told to take a bit of the corner off of is that circled above. With the assembled bolt in hand, you'll easily see that it is what keeps the bolt face from rotating into firing position unless enough force is applied to for the bolt face lug that cams on it to pass that corner.

I've no idea whether that corner and the other behind it were deemed design necessities or simply manufacturing expediencies, but the fellow telling Ric to relieve the front one a bit was as well positioned as anyone short of its designer (and perhaps more so than he) to know.

All that said, if you destroy the bolt, my account was high-jacked and this isn't me. (Which is essentially what the original source told mine over the phone.)
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, and picture Rick! I will pull mine out and take a look to see if it is something I want to attempt. Still got a few snipe hunts in the near future to see how well it works if I do.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Worked for Ric, but...
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Well, we are gonna have a few months before next hunting season, so if I do try it and screw it up, should have enough time to order a replacement. I am pretty self conscience of the possibility of it when handling the gun, but my poor ADHD stepson on the other hand, will bump, twist, knock, etc.......and not even realize he is doing it :o
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Previous

Return to The Blind