Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Ducaholic wrote:By July we will once again start thinking about the upcoming seasons, things we can do better, things we learned from the previous year with hopes that more of the variables that control our success line up in our favor.

You're waiting until July?
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Rick wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:By July we will once again start thinking about the upcoming seasons, things we can do better, things we learned from the previous year with hopes that more of the variables that control our success line up in our favor.

You're waiting until July?

Lol...I tend to try to forget until then. Actually I have really started to like to fish for bass and it takes my mind off of things. Then the waterfowl magazines start hitting the mail box and the new waterfowl hunting shows begin and it's on again.
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 pm

My Remington rebate came in today's mail, and I'm spending that "found money" on poaching little ducks from the broken marsh to its east. Assuming their check doesn't bounce...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Rick wrote:My Remington rebate came in today's mail, and I'm spending that "found money" on poaching little ducks from the broken marsh to its east. Assuming their check doesn't bounce...

What are you buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:28 am

Something evil that will be the ruination of everyone else's hunting.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm doing a little hunting related things this morning. Not much to do outdoors with a yard like a marsh and light rain. I have two spinners that need some electrical work, and they'll be sitting on the kitchen table shortly. Next,the Versamax will be fully dismantled and cleaned. We really need to go through the decoys as well. That, for a day with better weather.

I also need to permanently mount the inline fuel pump on the go devil and wire it into the motors existing two position switch. It also needs an inline fuse installed. It's still in it's jerry-rigged condition. So far so good with the predator motor, and we're strictly following the break in instructions. I have not run the motor under load at full throttle as of yet. We'll add time on it over the summer and should be ready to blast off for early teal this year.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:38 pm

DComeaux wrote:...and we're strictly following the break in instructions. I have not run the motor under load at full throttle as of yet...

Break-in instructions? Don't need no stinkin' break-in instructions. Might have been one of the issues with ours...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:...and we're strictly following the break in instructions. I have not run the motor under load at full throttle as of yet...

Break-in instructions? Don't need no stinkin' break-in instructions. Might have been one of the issues with ours...

It'll be at least one excuse we'd eliminate if things go south. Kind of like the winter scenario we were waiting on, and had this year that didn't quite pan out.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am

I walked out of the house this morning at dawn to low overcast sky's, chilly temps, and to the sound of whistling wings, which perked me up. I hurried out into the yard to catch a glimpse at what was passing, but they were moving on. Just a second or two later I heard the shrill of wood ducks crossing the pasture just a 100 yards or so from the house. I wish I would have had the time to just sit and watch this morning unfold.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am

A text from you dated 1/3 just popped up on my phone this morning. Lord knows I'm bad about answering them on my flip-phone keyboard, but I didn't intentionally ignore you. This time...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am

This is why I don’t text you

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm

One morning I was a little late because I'd back-tracked to make sure I'd turned the propane heater off. The guys with smart phones started in with the text text text where are you?
I was fighting with a flip-phone that basically forgets everything each time a new text comes in. The frequency I was receiving texts prohibited me sending any responses. I'd get one composed but by the time I could hit send another message came in putting my outgoing text into limbo. OVER and OVER for 15 minutes I was fighting with the phone. Finally I said fuck it and drove back to the club house.

That was the beginning of the end of the club called Smilin' Mallard. It was doomed from day one. The guys in charge were not very bright and were hustling us. One guy ended up with a new polaris out of the deal. I was a sucker big time on that one.

The club house...lol I was supposed to fix it. I'm a general contractor but can't quite spin straw into gold yet and I sure as hell can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear even in Arkansas. I should have just let that place burn. :mrgreen:

When I saw the way they intended to flood a 15-acre field with a 900 watt generator and a sump pump I knew that the season was going to suck. After two weeks they had a little puddle. It took five days of a real pump and about 60 gallons of diesel fuel.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Once had a corporate lawyer ask about getting a really long garden hose to fill a 75 acre impounded marsh from their camp's well.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Way back when I was in engineering school I had one of my Army airborne buddies ask me to calculate how many gallons an "acre-foot" of water is then had me figure what a "section-foot" would be. (640 acre-feet) It was such a large number that I was not sure I'd done the math right.(checked it thrice)
It was large enough to where scientific notation was required. Not thousands or millions of gallons but it was OMG big.

The whole calculaton was to settle a drunk argument. I was sober.
Damn that's a lot of gallons.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Rick wrote:A text from you dated 1/3 just popped up on my phone this morning. Lord knows I'm bad about answering them on my flip-phone keyboard, but I didn't intentionally ignore you. This time...

HA!
When I send you a text I don't expect a reply. I remember using a flip phone, so I get it. I did point out your morning coffee spot to the wife, where the meeting of the fowl minds takes place, and looked for your truck.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 am

Would love to do this for the sausage makings. Just that the purchase of decoys, set up, and pick up doesn't excite me much. OH! and not to mention, a place to do it. I wonder if the golden ground will turn to silver or bronze anytime soon? I'll like to see cubic zirconia.

Just got my smoked duck sausage made...MMMMM so good. The whole family is devouring it, even the grand babies.

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:51 am

You don't figure someone would spot you a thousand FBs and fresh ground to set them on?
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 pm

DComeaux wrote:Just got my smoked duck sausage made...MMMMM so good.

Oh man I can't pass this up.
Sooooo...
You like smoking duck sausage?

Someone else PLEASE post the punchline and take the heat for me.
Have had too many HFR's filed on me already.

I never would have heard that joke had it not been for the Bayou Bottom Boys. They have a huge bag of tricks and jokes and I fell for them all except the wood duck call. They got pissed so I blew on the damn thing. (it shoots flour in your face) Haha
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Rick wrote:You don't figure someone would spot you a thousand FBs and fresh ground to set them on?

I'm working on that. I may be in your neck of the woods, again, in the near future.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Leasing?
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Rick wrote:Leasing?

Doug’s super sublets of course

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Made some several years ago with a bunch of mallard and goose breasts (mostly snows). C’est bon

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Rick wrote:Leasing?

Nah, I don't have the money. I'm going to mooch a few hunts...... I love my marsh.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Pheew...thought maybe you'd lost your mind.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 pm

johnc wrote:Bill Daniels had sausage and jerky sticks made with the 8 million speck fillets we came home with from Arkansas---WOW that stuff is GREAT

I know you guys have a lot, but speck in sausage seems a shame, though I'd bet it is awesome. You need to try, if you haven't already, sous vide specks breasts with a balsamic fig reduction. I tell ya, done this way is like eating the finest steak you've ever had. Those that aren't excited about fowl, such as my wife, will eat this and give compliments.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Next time y’all go and need to give specks away I’ll intercept you around Monroe or somewhere

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:03 pm

johnc wrote:I will be honest,speck meat is so good too me,momma made a gumbo for me and Dad with specks,I would rather the stronger tasting blues in a gumbo lol,,,, I know that sounds crazy but I like the stronger wild taste

I'm with you and even know some older folks who'd rather pot roast young blues. Specks are so mild I find they wash out in a gumbo and are lost in fajitas, while blues seem spot-on either way.

Dave, I didn't try swamp's balsamic fig reduction but have sous vide speck fillets and will stick to the grill or pot roasting. Again, not enough going on for my taste.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:17 pm

There isn’t any “browning” with a sous vide I assume?

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018