Post-Season 2018

Re: Post-Season 2018

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm

DComeaux wrote: The cats don't care much for the Riceland......

When Marsh was a pup, Cornell's Macaulay Library recording were still among the best I had for reference, and you'd have thought "Macaulay Library number..." was dogese for "Run for your life!"
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm pretty sure Milo hates goose calls. The duck call on the other hand.
He really truly believes that every time I blow it ducks are about to hit the water. He also thinks I should be shooting cormorants and sea gulls. Can tell by the way he acts when they're in his sight.

That Dave Donaldson picture I've posted too many times is an example of what he does when I pick up a call.
Starts staring at the sky.

Lately ducks have been scarce. Last greenhead limit was two years ago. He's started whining every time something is flying.
How do you cure that? I guess you don't. Why "cure" a dog that is so excited about retrieving that he can't contain himself. Yet another reason to exile myself to lone-wolf status. Buddy was a whiner too. Blackie was rock solid and never made a whimper ever.
Probably my fault for being such a softie.

Whatever Blackie had, if I could can and sell it, would fetch me a million bucks easy. That dog was a natural. Annoying as fuck but everything he did was right. In 1987 a man stood there with $2000 cash trying to buy that dog at a public boat launch. Told him I can't sell the family pet. No way jose. My wife would have sold him for $20. Her and Blackie didn't get along. :roll:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:35 am

aunt betty wrote:...He's started whining every time something is flying. How do you cure that? I guess you don't. Why "cure" a dog that is so excited about retrieving that he can't contain himself...

I guess if it doesn't bother you, you don't. Otherwise, you take a cue from the sage of Mayberry and "Nip it, nip it, nip it!" before it gets bad enough to drive you bughouse - or morphs into a singing and dancing dog that runs off game.

If a dog yipped with glee upon release to retrieve, I'd be fine with it, but I flat hate the distraction of a dog's whining while birds are working. And if it dances, too, I'll not fight hunting with it a second time. Will tolerate a lot from a friend or quest's dog that I wouldn't from my own, but I draw the line at song and dance dogs. Just can't stand it .

So mine are harshly shushed at the very first might-have-been-a-whimper in training and/or at the blind, even if doing so costs a shooting op. Doesn't matter how many wood ducks land and swim around under Pup's nose during September teal, they're not an excuse for whining, they're a reason to forbid it.

Know such diligence has prevented whining habits from developing in my guys and am pretty sure I've logged reference to such with young Marsh, but I have zero experience with breaking a dog of whining allowed to become habitual.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:09 am

It's chronic. Can lay on the e-collar and he forgets it's there.
I'll shoot him next time out.
Thanks for the advice.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:48 am

aunt betty wrote:I'll shoot him next time out.

Hammer's cheaper. (Thinking now of a fellow in a mixed party white spread hunt's remark about a dog the other party brought, "Someone hit that dog with a hammer, not worth a bullet.")
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:35 pm

johnc wrote:
Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:Am currently getting a grin out of how a "Smaller Gauges for Waterfowl" thread on DHC has morphed into a discussion of super-duper-killer-diller 10ga loads, because ducks won't come close anywhere (private or public) in Missouri. Must not be flooding enough corn...

At least they're shooting at ducks, here in Louisiana there are zero ducks anymore, so no use for a 10 ga anyway! :D

I'm keeping a log, date stamped, of these comments to present at a later date......maybe in a just a few short years from now. :D Sort of like pre Trump election clips by the left media.

Go right ahead. There may be some changes here and there, but not the mass hysteria that J. G. would lead some to believe. My talks with the old timers at a club near Rick said same thing 8 years ago when I first hunted with them, "birds don't come here any more" they said, but since then I've put a few feathers on the cutting board from that location to the furthest east points of our state.

Things are changing, again, it's just not the mass chaos that some are claiming. One guy says "no birds are down" while the next farm over is blazing away, just all about perspective. Day before opener just this past season I saw waves on waves on waves of birds such that none of us from that area had ever seen before regardless of weather, time of season, etc. Plenty still came and we made out just fine. One thing is for certain, we have high expectations down here that's for sure! What's a junk slow hunt for us down here is bragworthy in a lot of other areas, again, perspective and expectations. If truly no birds, we'll still gain plenty of weight each season going to the camps regardless

@JohnC, no issues with those little dove loads in my M2, cycled just as a 3" would, didn't notice particular deformity of the hull

well that's good to know,the price is very good---M2 is a hell of a weapon,supposed to be bullet proof.....I had a crio super sport and sold it.....stupid,stupid,stupid....back in my short lived sporting clays career

Been very happy with it, this will be the 4th season with mine I think, came from Beretta autos. Still shoot my AL390 for clays, but the M2 and it's "limited" abilities with only a 3" chamber were enough to sell my A400 Xtreme....after a couple of seasons where it stayed at the ready in the closet just in case.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:37 pm

DComeaux wrote: I'm starting to get that excited feeling. Teal is getting close.

These two I can get on board with! :thumbsup:

Just got a new GPS system to install to the duck rig, will make our night time travels a whole lot easier and save my phone from what was an inevitable tumble overboard trying to use it for navigating.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote: I'm starting to get that excited feeling. Teal is getting close.

Just got a new GPS system to install to the duck rig, will make our night time travels a whole lot easier and save my phone from what was an inevitable tumble overboard trying to use it for navigating.

SWEET!
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:15 pm

BGcorey wrote:
Darren wrote:

youre gonna love it, surprised you haven’t done it sooner with all the public land ya hunt.. make a run in daylight and save that track and you’re good to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep that'll be the plan. Drawback for years was always lack of accurate map depicting the marsh and all it's intricate bayous, lagoons, etc. but now with Standard Map's e-cards on MicroSD cards, pop it in and you've got Google Earth as your reference layer instead of some very general nationwide lakes and rivers map that shows land where we have water. And now the small GPS units are taking those cards so its going to be really nice and can keep my phone in my jacket.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:18 pm

GPS is nice until you're under the canopy in green timber. Then you're back to feeling your way and you better know where you're going or you're screwed. Have a list of 200+ holes at Big Lake that you can't find even with the gps cords given to you.
I've been looking hard at GPS sonar units for the same reason but it'll be worthless in Arkansas.
Maybe not I'd sure like to give it a try.

The triple shot Lowrance one looks awfully nice.
Pretty sure it has a "not for navigation" legal disclaimer somewhere in the book that comes with it.
Could be wrong 50:50.

Find state farm and huntal6 and ask them about the time I got lost looking for the place we'd marked the day before.
It was foggy as fuck and I only missed by 200 yards so I went back and tried again. By then state farm had found the marker and signaled us in. Was lookin like a fool with my pants on the ground.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 am

Marsh Bear wrote:Darren - I also have a Beretta AL390, I still use it for Teal season and dove hunting.

Me2 but mine is used for waterfowl. Had a black Walmart version and someone stole it. Pretty sure I know who and am plotting on setting out a gun case with a 2x4 carved into the shape of a shotgun equipped with GPS to catch the fucker in the act. (one of my neighbors) I'd like to recover it but it's probably a sawed off now.

I'm sort of small where a Benelli is just a little too heavy and kicky so I use the 'lady-gun"and really like it.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 am

Marsh Bear wrote:Darren - I also have a Beretta AL390, I still use it for Teal season and dove hunting.

Was a gun I cut a LOT of grass for as a young teen, think I paid something like $700 for it in I think ‘96-‘97 or so, my first 12 gauge. Been super sweet and I retired it from the marsh once I could afford something camo coated and thus less prone to rusting in the salt marsh we hunt. Still love it for clays and it would definitely be my go to for doves had I a place to chase them.

As a comparison, anyone who says an inertia gun kicks no more than a gas gun is either 1. High or 2. Just hasn’t fired them side by side, or 3. both. As much as I love the M2, it’s like getting popped in the mouth compared to the 390 when I take them both to the clays range.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Shot the inertia and gas-powered side by side the same day and for sure the inertia guns kick more than gas.
Shot a lot of guns one day at the club. I'd brought a box of targets and the hand-thrower. Had claimed a bird that I KNOW I shot and the guys were dying to prove that I was fulla shit. They tried like hell to make me miss and kept handing me different guns. Epic fail on their part. Even had Shrek throwing the targets and he can really wing them.

The old Belgian Browning kicked the most I think. Plus is was so hot it burned me. (the owner paid $50 for it)

Finally Kenny muttered that "maybe he is killing all them ducks he says he shot".
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 am

Darren wrote:As a comparison, anyone who says an inertia gun kicks no more than a gas gun...

Don't know that I've ever heard that suggested.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 am

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:As a comparison, anyone who says an inertia gun kicks no more than a gas gun...

Don't know that I've ever heard that suggested.

Know you spend your share of time on forums, but I've come across it a fair bit in different places. Mostly from ignorant clowns defending their new SBEII or III purchase.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 am

The difference in kick is due to the fact that air is compressible and acts like a shock absorber.
The steel and springs in the inertia gun on the other hand, depending on the K-value on the springs, can be pretty kicky in comparison.

In order for the spring gun to kick less it would require a "damper" which would slow the gun down and act funny when it got cold.
A spring-damper assembly IS a shock absorber. Just a spring? Nope.

Class over. Sorry I had to share. Spent a whole lot of money and about 4.5 years to get where I understand that stuff kinda sorta.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Finally, smart thinking, new for 2018:

LUCKY WATERPROOF HDI
$199.99

LD1.JPG

LD2.jpg

Would hope eventually we get to all spinner gadgetry being waterproof.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm

My old Mathews Motorized Duck has went swimming lots of times. When I installed the remote I put it in three layers of ziplock bags that I shoo gooed shut then stuffed it up the neck of the decoy. Doubt it'd take salt tho.
Anyone else have anything older than that? I think I got it in '97 or'98.

The one with wings that fold to the side is what I got. Have an old lucky duck but the Mathews is light in comparison.
You'll never lose a wing either.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am

April 5 - Get ready, crazy above average hurricane season predicted by experts!
http://www.wafb.com/story/37887766/get- ... s-forecast

July 3 - Ohh, now it might be a quiet season
http://www.wafb.com/story/38562800/expe ... e-activity

Good to be a weather man, can be right or wrong, can frighten people, without recourse.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:20 am

I'll take a quiet season, one that wont mess up the low water vegetation growth I hope to see in our marsh. SEEDS, roots and succulent grasses EVERYWHERE! NATURAL SEEDS! Those made by mother nature, and their availability governed by her alone.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:15 am

Duck Engr wrote:Sure would be nice in my profession if I could miss a few numbers and not only keep my job but not go to jail!

Indeed! And yes, all of us know it only takes one, but seems like every year we have the hysterics. For those that don't browse such sites, there are literally people who live all over the country that hope and pray each year for monster storms, and then pout when they don't materialize. Many are the same that are hyping the warming of the globe but pout when the Atlantic is cooler than usual and thus not storm friendly. Weather Underground's tropical weather section is one example, has blog with Dr. Jeff Masters.

Clowns
Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 pm

New Mojo Elite series offerings, blue wing below, but comes in mallard, woody, green wing, and even pintail now

Capture.JPG
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 am

Not upset to see those no good Missouri short stoppers getting drier :D

drought monitor July 12, 2018.JPG
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am

Hope it all turns to popcorn....It's all for ethanol or ducks, anyway.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 am

DComeaux wrote:Hope it all turns to popcorn....It's all for ethanol or ducks, anyway.

The ethanol mandates won't go away, so the demand won't be price sensitive. This can then drive the prices way up for food if there is a big impact on average production. It's a huge stupid destructive idea. Besides the poor people that suffer the most when prices rises, mostly people outside the U.S. The amount of marginal land (aka very valuable lands for wildlife) ripped up and drain tiles install is crazy. This is far more destructive to ducks, pheasants, song birds, rabbits, deer, ... than anything but maybe wind and solar are to the environment.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 am

Harry and I got out on some of our favorite marsh on Saturday for a brief cruise to exercise the duck boat. Water is a little low with westerly winds typical of mid-summer but the overall habitat is as lush as I've ever seen it. Alligators galore, as well.

IMG_7471.JPG

Stumbled on what appeared to be some gent's big water/dos gris hotel. Figuring that's his (large) boat hide in the back ground with the small blind in the foreground. Bottom here is but 1-2 ft deep and sandy so easy walking, likely killed plenty of scaup here and good chance for puddlers as well if he was hidden (hopefully) better than the offseason sticks show
IMG_7474.JPG

Marsh ponds are just gorgeous right now, knock on wood
IMG_7480.JPG

IMG_7479.JPG

About the only alligator free water in this area is along lakeshore a good way down from any bayou mouths, got in some hound work
IMG_7484.JPG

To wrap up the day, Johnny came by and helped me get a new GPS mounted in the flat. Now my phone can stay in the jacket during those dark and winding pre-dawn boat rides.
IMG_7488.JPG

Just nice to get out there and poke around. Didn't check out the teal areas with water on the low side; will plan to hit those up in about this time next month with tides hopefully a bit higher
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Darren 2017-2018