The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Olly » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:13 pm

DComeaux wrote:That sounds like a dream, and days from my distant past. Isn't it awesome?

It's pretty amazing. All these years and I get the hype of the Pacfic flyway now.

Tiler_J wrote:
Most of the pacific flyway has a 7 bird limit and CA has a 107 day season. Glad to see you are getting some birds.

I had no idea, never really looked into the other states and this is my first season hunting west of Texas ever. It's been a while so I've forgot but are you down in CA? What kind of season are you having down here if so?

Deltaman wrote:WOW.........you mean there's a hole in the hunter population up there? Glad you found it!!!!!! Those kids must be too busy burning up the legal weed to be bothered with chasing birds :lol:

I was talking to a LEO at the ramp the other morning and he said he's lived here his whole life and doesn't know why bird hunting on the bay has dropped so low but he said I was the only hunter he saw at the ramp all weekend. Whatever the reason I dig it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:18 pm

You lucky rascal! That’s awesome.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Olly wrote:
DComeaux wrote:That sounds like a dream, and days from my distant past. Isn't it awesome?

It's pretty amazing. All these years and I get the hype of the Pacfic flyway now.

Tiler_J wrote:
Most of the pacific flyway has a 7 bird limit and CA has a 107 day season. Glad to see you are getting some birds.

I had no idea, never really looked into the other states and this is my first season hunting west of Texas ever. It's been a while so I've forgot but are you down in CA? What kind of season are you having down here if so?

Deltaman wrote:WOW.........you mean there's a hole in the hunter population up there? Glad you found it!!!!!! Those kids must be too busy burning up the legal weed to be bothered with chasing birds :lol:

I was talking to a LEO at the ramp the other morning and he said he's lived here his whole life and doesn't know why bird hunting on the bay has dropped so low but he said I was the only hunter he saw at the ramp all weekend. Whatever the reason I dig it.

Yeah, I’m in Northern Ca. Hunting has been good when I’ve been out. Only gone a handful of times. November is usually our slow month. Going to start going more now that we are getting some weather. I hate sitting in the blind when it’s hot, that has hopefully passed.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Happy early Christmas to you guys.
AAF6878E-DB9B-4FE9-9BE3-B2EA76A47868.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20 pm

C18AA1DB-9156-4FBF-9A78-E5CC773E9D45.jpeg

Buck from this hunting season
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Sweet beard, RMFC!
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 pm

Merry Christmas Rex!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:22 am

Eight months since the last post. How things change.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 am

We just ain't talkin' about it. Hope all is well in Chicken Land.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Things are going all right. Just got to Australia. Doing a study abroad down under for a year. How's things been going with you?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:28 pm

"Same old, same old," which isn't bad at all. Congrats on the study abroad in Australia, would much rather that than most places.
Rick

Postby Bad17 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:32 pm

What’s going on Hammer!!! Where you at in Australia? It’s been a long time since I was on last too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:35 pm

I'm in Camden which is a suburb of Sydney I think. Studying at the University of Sydney. Left DFW on the 19th and got here on the 21st. Haven't had much of a chance to explore around yet.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 pm

Rick wrote:"Same old, same old," which isn't bad at all. Congrats on the study abroad in Australia, would much rather that than most places.

Good to hear. It's lookin like its gonna be an alright place to be. Unfortunately I have to miss a year of hunting season so that sucks, especially being so close to dove season when they shipped me off.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:43 am

New Zealand probably would have been better in that regard, but there are a whole lot more girls in Australia.
Rick

Postby Bad17 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 am

Yes there is and they love them some American men too.

Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:37 pm

That kept coming up when I was trying to get this all together.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 am

Well wear them out and find you a rich one.

Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:28 am

More like find one that is rich and wants to go to America.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Yeah. That’s what I mean.

Bad17

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Once the permissions are sorted out on the logs, I actually something to post :shock:

IMG_20190902_112113.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Bad17 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:42 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Once the permissions are sorted out on the logs, I actually something to post :shock:

IMG_20190902_112113.jpg

Well at least your doing better than the Cubs.

Bad17

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 am

Maybe it's good we don't have the permissions on the logs sorted out if I keep having this success.

Not having luck with the fish before the sun comes up, but I'm very happy with my goose hunting.

Sept4.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:14 am

Nice way to start your season Ed, Congrats!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 am

That's what I'm thinking.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:49 am

Deltaman wrote:Nice way to start your season Ed, Congrats!!!!!!

I am normally pessimistic at the start of the early goose season, but still get out because I just enjoy being out. However, this year was just looking like it was going to be very different. And so far it has been all I could have hoped for.

Although, they add up quick when you take 4 out of a flock.

Monday, about a dozen came in fully committed. I dropped 2. I just can't close the deal on 3 for 3. Reloaded, got on the call, brought them back around. Dropped 2 for 2. Brought them around again, but couldn't get shooting. It was just when I was ready to go. So I went and got the truck. They came back and circled a few more times with me and the truck in the field.

This morning, I had about 10 come in like they were going to land, but they drifted over the blind. No reason to wait and see if they were going to come back around. Three quick shots. Each shot I saw the bird look like it was coming down. After the third shot. Why are there only 2 birds falling? :?: Where'd the third one go? Did he recover? Did he already hit the ground? I step out of the blind to see if I can see the third bird. Oh wait, the others are not leaving in haste. Reload, get on the call. Bring 2 back by and drop both of them. While hunting for the missing bird, I had several opportunities to get my 5th bird, but I still wasn't sure and didn't want to go over the limit. After I was sure the missing bird was really missing, I called it a day so I'd have time to clean the geese before work. Otherwise, I'd have to leave them in coolers until tomorrow.

I'm getting spoiled. I average about 1 bird per day. A 4 bird per day average is beyond great.

I think all the massive rain we had early in the year did two things. I think it probably took out a lot of nests, but when they renested, there was so much water scattered everywhere that they were very successful. This later nesting kept the geese around (they usually leave the area after they fledge) or maybe it is just all the water we still have, and the numbers seem way up. I think these flocks are just really big family groups. That's why they don't bug out even after I've shot them twice.

Whatever it is, there are a lot of geese around and so far they are quite cooperative :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:24 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I average about 1 bird per day. A 4 bird per day average is beyond great.

Reads like you're due for a string of scratches.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I average about 1 bird per day. A 4 bird per day average is beyond great.

Reads like you're due for a string of scratches.

:lol:
Probably.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am

I kept the scratching away for another day. Another very good morning. I caught 3 bass before the sun came out. Almost a mirror repeat of Wednesday morning. About 10 geese got up behind me and were coming in to at least give my decoys a good look which put them over the blind. Three quick shots, but this time three geese fell all the way to the ground :thumbsup: Finally got my confirmed triple :-D No luck in bringing the flock back around. There was another flock of geese to the west which may have pulled them away or maybe their just starting to get smarter.

Sept6.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:11 am

Woooohoooooo, you are on a good roll Spinner, and even caught fish for dinner.....Congrats :thumbsup:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind