The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:18 am

Deltaman wrote:Woooohoooooo, you are on a good roll Spinner, and even caught fish for dinner.....Congrats :thumbsup:

No fish for dinner. Bass are catch and release only at the club where I'm hunting. Way too much pressure on them to keep them.
I caught this one the other day with someone's worm hook working its way out the other end :o

Yep, that's a hook coming out his butt. It shows that if you gut hook them and cut the line, they might be fine. I talked with some of the big bass fisherman at the club and all of them had caught bass over the years with line or plastic worms hanging out their backside from someone else that had cut the line and let them go. That really surprised me. BTW, the hook just came out real easy from this fish and was probably about to fall out on its own.

Basswithhook.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:14 pm

My wife decided to go with me today. She has tagged along once in awhile. Last year she decided to actually try to shoot something, and shot at one goose, but didn't get it, but did get excited about it. No luck the little she went with me last year after that. Well that changed this morning. She went 4 for 4 and the 4th one was banded. :shock:

Of course, I couldn't let her out do me. I shot 5 including a scotch double and 2 bands.

This is just an unbelievable streak.

IMG_20190907_080953_1.jpg
IMG_20190907_080548~2.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Wooooo weee! Absolutely on fire! Keep it going Spinnerman!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:25 am

Well done. Love successful goose hunts :thumbsup:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:28 am

Reads like you may have a more frequent blind buddy. Good goin'.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:37 am

Got out before work again today. Another good morning.

Started out with a single looking like he was going to commit suicide and then clearly saw something he did not like. He was passing upwind looking like he was going to circle right in. When he passed about 60 yards upwind, he went from locked up talking back and forth with me to real unhappy and bugged out. Kind of freaked me out. I got out of the blind, looked over everything, moved a bunch of decoys. I really couldn't see anything that should have flaked him out. But something sure as hell did and I should have been well hidden.

A little while later I could here some geese calling coming toward me calling very aggressive. They landed in the lake just before they would have come into view, but were still giving my decoys hell. I quick clicked on the video because I was pretty sure they were coming over sooner or later. They came over almost immediately, but they basically just jumped up from the lake and landed at the far end of my spread by a pair of decoys I put over there set up to look like a couple that doesn't want company, but I think this couple was looking for a fight. Well, long ago I gave up yelling at them and throwing things to try and to get them to fly. I "jump them up" as my buddy says which means shoot the first one on the water. I popped the one. His mate just stood their looking at him flopping. So I popped him too. Happy with 2 geese, but was hoping for more than a ground pound video :(

Also caught a nice bass before the sun came up. Another beautiful morning of hunting and fishing.

Sept9.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:00 am

Congrats Spinner, and glad your good streak is continuing!!!!! I have seen hooks coming out of the anus on several fish I've caught over the years, and just shook my head when I was able to pop it out like you did, with seemingly, no damage to the fish.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 am

All good things must come to an end. There were a lot of geese off in the distance, but it was really hot and humid this morning and nothing flew before I had to head to work. I did catch a bass before daylight and otherwise enjoyed a very nice morning in the outdoors.

Sept11.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Nice tailgate shot, any bands? :lol:

Thanks for sharing, we're enjoying reading about any kind of fowling while we twiddle thumbs awaiting this weekend's teal opener.
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Love it,
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:52 pm

I got one more tailgate shot during early goose. Got rained out this morning, but had a good day yesterday. Only day of poor shooting or there would be 5 there. Just unbelievable early goose season for me.

IMG_20190914_091409.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:45 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Just unbelievable early goose season for me.

You were due one.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:04 am

Now I need to create my logs.

Didn't see a single teal. Usually, I get one opportunity that I miss without even a shot fired.

I actually had what I think turned out to be a lightbulb moment 2 years. My situation is that I have geese that roost within earshot. I mostly ignored them until they got up. But I have found calling a lot, just sounding like geese that get a little stirred up once in a while even when I don't hear geese and especially when I do has produced a lot more success. I think that the birds haven't made up their minds where to go while on the water, but after the decide then they get up they have and changing it is very difficult. However, with me calling and sometimes even talking back and forth with them on the water, they decide to head my way to check it out. Even if they aren't going to commit, they aren't near as cautious and much more prone to give a fly by in range and often do fully commit. Last year was my best early season and start of regular season by far. This year I crushed that. This year was good for everyone, but I shot more than the entire rest of the club combined.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I think that the birds haven't made up their minds where to go while on the water, but after the decide then they get up they have and changing it is very difficult. However, with me calling and sometimes even talking back and forth with them on the water, they decide to head my way to check it out.

Probably so.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 pm

Went out and did a little fishing last night. No luck, but I thought this was funny as hell. Didn't get the picture I wanted, but there was a merganser walking along the shoreline in with a flock of seagulls just like he was another gull. I was too slow to get my phone and get the picture I wanted. The wind was kicking so all the seagulls just spread their wings and floated away. Mr. Merganser couldn't do it because he's lacking the lift ratio of the gulls, so he gave up and just kept walking after his buddies left.

IMG_20200331_200333.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Not even garbage eaters want to be seen with a sawbill.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:38 pm

Maybe that's it. I thought they were taking off because I was getting too close, but it was probably they saw me reaching for the camera. They didn't want to get caught slummin' :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby herbert6v » Mon May 11, 2020 6:27 am

SpinnerMan, great hunting!
herbert6v

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon May 11, 2020 1:37 pm

herbert6v wrote:SpinnerMan, great hunting!
I had a crazy early season last year. Was out and about this weekend and saw a lot of paired up geese included several with goslings in toe already. A good sign for a lot of young and dumb ones come this fall.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 am

I finally caught my white wale last week while on vacation back home to visit family.

When I was around 18, I got into fishing for muskies. I caught a few small ones but a "real" musky eluded me on so many occasions. I have many memorable non-catches with decent to huge muskies. Then I went off to college, didn't fish for them much, but always wanted to catch one. Even had one bite me off here in Illinois. Big brown swirl about 20' from me and cut the line clean.

One in particular, I had back then was a nice one around 36" that I was trying to be a sportsman and land without putting it on the rocky shore and I lost it. I said screw that if I ever get another one, his ass is going on the rocks and I'll be a sportsman with the next one.

About 30 years later and in almost in the same spot, I finally put one on the rocks. Right around 42" and in the 20-25 lb range.
Musky.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:02 am

Congrats spinnerman! That one was a long time coming!!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 pm

"The fish of 10,000 casts." And a grownup at that.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:30 am

Congrats on catching the monster Spinner!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:45 pm

In addition to catching a nice musky, I also had possibly my weirdest catches.

foot.jpg

The size of that foot relative to the bass is quite impressive. The little fish ate quite a big bird for his size.

And also did a lot of chainsawing for my brother. I like this picture.

tree.jpg

It looks like a "now what" picture like I screwed up. Actually, I was very happy. The tree was going to eventually destroy his shed and that was the only direction I could drop it but I had to drop it slowly so it didn't damage the kennel. I had two goals. Most importantly I was still on the roof after the tree was on the ground. Clearly I succeeded. Second no holes in the roof of the shed and not to destroy the fence around the kennel. Not even a scratch on either. :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:52 am

"It's a miracle, Brother Michael."
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:12 pm

That’s always my number one goal, me upright and the tree laid over when all is said and done.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:52 am

Duck Engr wrote:That’s always my number one goal, me upright and the tree laid over when all is said and done.

Which is easier to do when you start on the ground. Not a lot of room to get out of the way when you are on the roof.

I had a rope on the tree with my brother pulling but would have felt better if we could have tied off and pulled with a truck. I had wind come out of nowhere when cutting a tree one time and nearly had it come back on me. What should have been nothing got real interesting real quick.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 am

Doesn't take but one FU :o
Congrats Spinner, and glad it worked out well!!!!!
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:48 am

On an only kinda-sorta related note: I've been slower than slow to join the cordless revolution but finally got POed enough at my gas chainsaw's contrary way's this past spring to give a battery operated one a go, and have been pleasantly surprised by how little of a compromise it's proven to date. 'Course that could change if I'm ever required to deal with storm damage while it's still raining...
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:04 am

Off to an interesting morning. Wasn't even 8AM and already had someone call me an asshole. :lol:

A scrapper (guy that drives around on trash day and picks up scrap metal and anything else he thinks he can sell) hit this older lady's car. I happened to be walking nearby. Pretty quick it looked like he was going to run. I quickly got a picture of his truck and license plate and sure enough, away he goes.

Talked to the lady and she is OK and asks me to call the police. I do and give them a description of the vehicle and the license plate number.

The front license plate fell of when he hit her. While waiting for the police, he rolls back up talking about how he went to get his insurance :lol: :lol: :lol: No, it's the missing front plate .

He starts stepping on it and then starts to pick it up. I tell him to leave it until the cops get there.

Then he starts on about the insurance and trying to interact with the lady. I tell him, let's just wait for the police. He's trying to get the hell out of there before the police arrive and I'm not going to let him push this lady around.

He goes back an leans on his truck and starts muttering loudly so I can hear that I'm an asshole ... :lol:

Sometimes and this was one time it was appropriate to be an asshole to the hit and run driver. :thumbsup:

Rick wrote:On an only kinda-sorta related note: I've been slower than slow to join the cordless revolution but finally got POed enough at my gas chainsaw's contrary way's this past spring to give a battery operated one a go, and have been pleasantly surprised by how little of a compromise it's proven to date. 'Course that could change if I'm ever required to deal with storm damage while it's still raining...

I've heard nothing but good things. That would be my only concern. What do you do with a battery powered (fill in the blank) when you don't have power for a week. You are running on one charge. Anything essential, this would worry me.

Similarly, I can't open my wife's car even with the regular key. Everything is power and she has zero power so I can't even open the car to pop the hood so I can test the battery to see if that's the problem or something else. We will need assistance just to open the effing door. If I understand you actually have to lift the car and hook up batteries to get enough juice to unlock the door. It shouldn't take assistance to get in your car if you have no battery. Insanely stupid design.
SpinnerMan

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind