The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:41 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I've heard nothing but good things. That would be my only concern. What do you do with a battery powered (fill in the blank) when you don't have power for a week. You are running on one charge. Anything essential, this would worry me.

Test drove it when the lady across the road's live oak suffered a major limb break, partly blocking said road, and feel confident that any emergency storm damage beyond single charge capability would also put us well beyond screwed in other regards. Rub being that the manual recommends long term storage on partial, rather than full, charge and one could get caught half-charged and looking for a generator.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Anyone else ready for some 2020 logs and pre-season threads? Can we get that goin?
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Darren wrote:Anyone else ready for some 2020 logs and pre-season threads? Can we get that goin?
Called Olly day before yesterday and left a voicemail and texted him today but haven’t heard back. He may be on some wild adventure with no cell service.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:06 pm

Not getting the logs up until late worked out for me last year. Did a little fishing in my early goose hunting area last night. I heard geese off in the distance and saw a few. A good sign that they are still around even after the miserable heat we had. Caught 7 bass in about an hour's fishing so that was good too.
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
Darren wrote:Anyone else ready for some 2020 logs and pre-season threads? Can we get that goin?
Called Olly day before yesterday and left a voicemail and texted him today but haven’t heard back. He may be on some wild adventure with no cell service.
Heard back from Olly a little while ago. No cool adventures, just an old phone that crapped out and took him a few days to get into a new one. Said he’d get the ball rolling on logs tomorrow.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:09 am

Duck Engr wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:
Heard back from Olly a little while ago. No cool adventures, just an old phone that crapped out and took him a few days to get into a new one. Said he’d get the ball rolling on logs tomorrow.

Many thanks

let the (pre)games begin
Darren

Postby Olly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:58 pm

I started a 2020 logbook role call thread, I will make them as the request come in.

Sorry I was hard to get a hold of the last few days, I had a phone go for a swim and I just decided to go without one for a week or so, was pretty nice until work basically made me get a new one :lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:35 am

Much thanks, Olly.

(No phone for a week sounds like a vacation.)
Rick

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:36 pm

Rick wrote:Much thanks, Olly.

(No phone for a week sounds like a vacation.)

It was pretty awesome, I was seriously just considering never getting another one but I don't think that's the world we live in any more.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:32 pm

We'll definitely be having fish for dinner.

Fish.jpg

However, this picture really summarizes the trip.

Bob.jpg

My brother is in the background fighting a fish and Bob is in the front of the boat trying not to dry heave anymore.

It was much rougher than that picture makes it look. My second roughest seas for a charter trip. It wasn't to the point of any concerns but just constant, rough motion. The plan was to run out to the gulf stream but it was so rough we were getting beat up running just 20 mph and given we had to go over 60 miles, it was going to be unpleasant and burn up all our time to get out there. So we stopped well short and went bottom fishing. Caught about 3 dozen Vermilion Snapper (took home a limit of 20), one Red Snapper (out of season - so released), an Amberjack (captain caught that) and then a mixed bag of porgy, drum, and other things I don't remember. My brother lost a nice shark at the boat.

It was a great trip for me. I took my dramamine the night before and about an hour before setting sail :thumbsup: It was hell for Bob. His first and last deep sea trip. He did not take dramamine. My brother puked once but the fishing outweighed the seasickness.

Even if you've never been seasick before, take your dramamine :thumbsup:

I got seasick at Sea World, so I always take it. :beer: Not kidding about the seasick at Sea World. They have one of those rides on the hydraulics that simulates flying while watching a movie. 10 seconds in, I was sweating my ass off and my wife was laughing hers off as I suffered. :lol:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:10 pm

I feel for Bob. I’ve been there. We had 6’-8’ seas a few years back heading out. I’ve start taking Dramamine two days in advance now!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Especially miserable when it starts very early in the trip :o
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Deltaman wrote:Especially miserable when it starts very early in the trip :o

Bob was sick before the first line hit the water.

He managed to catch a few fish when we first started but was miserable and didn't last long. I guess the good thing was that we landed on them immediately so he did actually catch some fish. I had a nice Vermilion in the boat before all lines were out. He was so bad I wonder if he even remembers what he caught :o
SpinnerMan

Postby Woody » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 pm

Had a pretty good opened in Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:56 pm

Heck yeah man, nice start!

Let me know if you’d like a log in the logbook forum and we’ll set one up for you. If not feel free to keep posting here.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Woody » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:25 am

Duck Engr wrote:Heck yeah man, nice start!

Let me know if you’d like a log in the logbook forum and we’ll set one up for you. If not feel free to keep posting here.
Probably not. I’m too busy these days to make regular posts anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Deltaman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:09 am

Good to see you back on the board Woody, and congrats on your duck opener!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:36 pm

Never thought I would see a bunch of redhead park ducks :shock:

PXL_20210214_175959973.jpg

PXL_20210214_180047496.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:26 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Never thought I would see a bunch of redhead park ducks :shock:

PXL_20210214_175959973.jpg

PXL_20210214_180047496.jpg

Allegedly if we were to take a nature walk near possum cove we'd see all that on ice. Turn and walk up the hill to the discharge canal and it's packed with quack.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:31 pm

While we are bullshitting...
This is bait? Probably yes.

224602_main._AC_SL1500_V1583848726_.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:56 am

Nope. Rocks aren't feed.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 am

Rick wrote:Nope. Rocks aren't feed.

Think it'd work?
Grit is a thing. I've hunted volcanic ash for doves
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 am

"Grit piles" (dumptruck loads of sand in spots where it's scarce naturally) can be a big goose draw here. But you'd go broke long before drawing any by the sack.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 am

Rick wrote:"Grit piles" (dumptruck loads of sand in spots where it's scarce naturally) can be a big goose draw here. But you'd go broke long before drawing any by the sack.

How it works for me:
I get bored so I drive around picking up spilt grains. Easy...piles where I find 5 or 10 gallons of corn. I scoop it up and dump it at heritage lake. No hunting its just me being nice.
The KARMA EFFECT:
That gesture triggers God into rewarding my hunting I just don't get it but it works. Feed park ducks. Go hunting then kill the same ducks 30 miles away. Lol I know better but karma is real.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:48 am

Everyone needs to believe in something, and karma's a good something.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:19 am

Friday i guhguhguhguh guhguh ...until i had a headache..throat swelled up.
Tonsils talked to me and said what the hell are you doing?

So I skipped a day..took a nap. No more guhguh.
Yesterday I took two ten minute dog walks.
I'm going down the street guhguhguh...lol
A new hip hop rap sensation hit the street yesterday.
Throat sore again.
This duck calling shit is work and it hurts.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:Friday i guhguhguhguh guhguh ...until i had a headache..throat swelled up.
Tonsils talked to me and said what the hell are you doing?

So I skipped a day..took a nap. No more guhguh.
Yesterday I took two ten minute dog walks.
I'm going down the street guhguhguh...lol
A new hip hop rap sensation hit the street yesterday.
Throat sore again.
This duck calling shit is work and it hurts.
'

Just keep on doing it wrong, and you'll just keep on getting the wrong result. Should have zip, nada, nothing to do with your throat. All in the tongue. Front or back, but back's probably easier for most and produces a more guttural tone.

Have you even tried "gudda"?
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:05 pm

There are call and dog experts online.
They don't demonstrate they judge.
Why? Theyre judges. They judge both dog and call competitions. THE SAME EXACT GUYS. The judge because they're judges.
With a few words these fine fellas can destroy the confidence of an amateur trainer or caller.

They don't actually show calling or dog training.
They know better because then they'd be judged and they could not handle it.
Ironic eh?
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:22 pm

https://ruralradio.com/krvn/news/duck-hunters-will-choose-from-two-bag-limits-this-year/

allows hunters to select between Tier I or Tier II when they register for their Harvest Information Program (HIP) number.

Tier I is the current traditional six-duck limit with species and sex restrictions. Tier II is a three-duck limit with no species or sex restrictions.

This seems like a nightmare.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:41 am

Can't imagine the 3 bird "splash" limit being popular with any but can purists.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind