Fall turkey

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bears.... etc. Anything big game!

Fall turkey

Postby don novicki » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:23 pm

Anyone hunt fall turkey? We get 1 week here in NW Pa. coming up at the end of the month. I have never tried it but am going to give it a go this year. Used to be able to use a rifle but cant do that anymore here in our zone.
don novicki

Re: Fall turkey

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:20 pm

Never really had the opportunity where we own land. Inlaws have a place where there’s a fall season but I haven’t pursued it as their turkey population is spotty year to year. Plus no gobbling = no fun for me.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:33 am

No (legal) fall turkey season I know of down here in La, it's a spring thing
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 am

don novicki wrote:Anyone hunt fall turkey? We get 1 week here in NW Pa. coming up at the end of the month. I have never tried it but am going to give it a go this year. Used to be able to use a rifle but cant do that anymore here in our zone.

Last year I started hunt them with a bow just like I hunt deer. We are not allowed to even use a call as I understand it here in Illinois in the fall season. Sounds stupid. Haven't confirmed it, but the person that told me I trust.

I believe that is the most common way people hunt fall turkeys. What always seemed interesting to me where it is allowed. You talk a dog and find a flock. Send the dog to scatter the flock. Then you pick a spot near where you scattered them and you can actually call them back in as they try to regroup. This works for hens and young ones. For gobblers, the only way I think is like hunting them like you would deer.

Good luck.

I hit and lost two gobblers last fall. That really sucked. Rookie mistakes on both of them.
SpinnerMan

Postby don novicki » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:00 pm

I didnt see or hear squat except for and abundance of squirrels including a black squirrel which I havent seen one in years. It was a great day to be out though enjoying the peace and quiet. I did manage to bag a 20lb er at Giant Eagle though...... :lol:
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:46 am

Opening day 2022 is tomorrow. Supposed to be nice and sunny. Going to give it another crack and I have very low expectations. I do know of a couple of places that have good mast production, so that is where I will go. I could take my mountain bike and get really "back there" but I doubt it........
don novicki

Postby Deltaman » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:14 am

Good Luck in the morning, and it sounds like the forecast is in your flavor :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby don novicki » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks I'll post up no matter how it goes. They've discontinued rifles for this year. Too bad, I wanted to take a .22 but now it is not to be....
don novicki

Postby don novicki » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:51 pm

Went out this beautiful a.m. to see if I could tag a turkey. Didn't see or hear a bird but boy was the woods loaded with guys. Some guys were goose hunting, there were guys pheasant and small game hunting, and I believe it's the last day of archery so they were out too. More guys hunting than I have seen in the last 5 years combined. Wound up getting a turkey sub from Subway so I did get some turkey after all. Long stretch of too warm weather coming up won't help the duck or goose hunting. Oh well what can you do......
don novicki

Return to Big Game Hunting