Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:21 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:Jalapeño peppers?
Hey I actually know something.
Remember assateague and his super hot "Tomorrow Sauce" made from Trinidad scorpion peppers?
His recipe is so easy.

First you grow your own peppers so you can abuse them.
Yes. Don't water them a couple weeks before you harvest and your peppers are hotter.

Aw fuck half the recipe is missing. Add 1/4tsp CaCO3 granules per pint prior to adding brine. (Pickle crisp)
Sigh. From memory the brine is 50:50 water and vinegar.
Fill jars with cut peppers and brine. You boil the brine first then add to jars. Leave 3/4" head space. Tap the jars to get bubbles out then add more brine to 3/4" mark.
Assa knows his peppers.

I've used these pickled jalapeños in arkansas to make poppers on a catch n cook kind of thing. They travel well..
Canning salt is involved I better get assa to refresh my recipe.

We've had stuff in camp that a single drop of which could render a plate of jambalaya inedible. Had to be careful not to leave it on the table, least someone really hurt themselves. Make my sauce more pickled/vinegar than hot/pepper, thank you. Much prefer Crystal over Tabasco, which isn't real hot as such things go.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:10 am

Rick wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:Jalapeño peppers?
Hey I actually know something.
Remember assateague and his super hot "Tomorrow Sauce" made from Trinidad scorpion peppers?
His recipe is so easy.

First you grow your own peppers so you can abuse them.
Yes. Don't water them a couple weeks before you harvest and your peppers are hotter.

Aw fuck half the recipe is missing. Add 1/4tsp CaCO3 granules per pint prior to adding brine. (Pickle crisp)
Sigh. From memory the brine is 50:50 water and vinegar.
Fill jars with cut peppers and brine. You boil the brine first then add to jars. Leave 3/4" head space. Tap the jars to get bubbles out then add more brine to 3/4" mark.
Assa knows his peppers.

I've used these pickled jalapeños in arkansas to make poppers on a catch n cook kind of thing. They travel well..
Canning salt is involved I better get assa to refresh my recipe.

We've had stuff in camp that a single drop of which could render a plate of jambalaya inedible. Had to be careful not to leave it on the table, least someone really hurt themselves. Make my sauce more pickled/vinegar than hot/pepper, thank you. Much prefer Crystal over Tabasco, which isn't real hot as such things go.

Wait. The idea is to pickle your home grown peppers to use in poppers at camp where it's a Hella long ride to go get them. Let's not get crazy here.
Jalapeños for duck poppers. The pickling just keeps em green and fresh kind of.
WARNING: you'll need a oil filter wrench to get the lids off.
No salt is fine he says.
1/4 teaspoon per pint if you want kosher or canning salt.

For camp I usually bring cream cheese, bacon, tooth picks, and peppers. At least once per trip I do poppers on the bow of my boat..it dont always work out tho.
ZomboMeme 21062022101428.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:06 pm

Spent the early morning egg hunting on what was once one of, if not, the premier waterfowl farms in the Thornwell area and couldn't help but pause to watch what seemed an endless stream of wood stork flights passing over it, as was the case with ducks and geese until recent years. Lacked the geese's audio, of course, but the sight was still enough to engender my own stream of bittersweet memories.

Hard to imagine now that the farm topped out at $100,000 a season before our waterfowl and leasing bubble burst, but, oh, my, was it a good one in its day.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm

Many areas like that are now has-beens. I sure hope we get a shift in our favor in the near future.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:28 am

DComeaux wrote:Many areas like that are now has-beens...

I'm thinking Lacassane Company is the last of SWLA's ag land still at least kinda-sorta hanging on. By virtue of managing 26,000 acres next to a refuge for rice and waterfowl, rather than crawfish, of course.

(Those who know the area may think my spell check croaked, as the Lacassane Company's land is bisected by Lacassine Bayou and bounded on the south by Lacassine National Wildlife Refuge, but they apparently just held onto a misspelling. And, perhaps in tribute to that quirk, the road leading to their members' camp near an early air strip is still labeled "Stripe Rd".)
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:45 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Many areas like that are now has-beens...

I'm thinking Lacassane Company is the last of SWLA's ag land still at least kinda-sorta hanging on. By virtue of managing 26,000 acres next to a refuge for rice and waterfowl, rather than crawfish, of course.

(Those who know the area may think my spell check croaked, as the Lacassane Company's land is bisected by Lacassine Bayou and bounded on the south by Lacassine National Wildlife Refuge, but they apparently just held onto a misspelling. And, perhaps in tribute to that quirk, the road leading to their members' camp near an early air strip is still labeled "Stripe Rd".)

Any chance on discussing your new dumb phone?
Ah I recall my first cussing text that the phone "fixed".
I was mad as heck I typed "fuck that bitch"....
Looked down and it says "duck that birch" we laffed an laffed.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:56 am

My new much-smarter-than-me-phone doesn't automatically "correct" but offers correctly spelled word suggestions that sometimes makes it seem spooky intuitive and have been a blessing for one with old, busted up, untrained thumbs.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:21 am

Always wondered where Lacassane came from versus the native spelling.

We're only about 30-40 days from some brother-in-law's cousin's co-worker's teal sighting reported. :thumbsup:

Saw on instagram that Grosse Savanne was lamenting "no water to run boats" when scouting alligator eggs, so opted for a drone apparently. What's the word on Lulu's water level? Little tropical blob off our coast could be of help.
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:36 am

Darren wrote:Saw on instagram that Grosse Savanne was lamenting "no water to run boats" when scouting alligator eggs, so opted for a drone apparently. What's the word on Lulu's water level? Little tropical blob off our coast could be of help.

Surprised the fellow picking Grosse Savanne isn't flying it by helicopter, as a boat's incredibly inefficient for spotting marsh nests and better suited to those along Basin channels. (Where Swamp People's Jr. picks for us.)

Re: drones, though, Liz (the duck lady) and her husband, Russ, pick for us, and she's trying a drone to spot in their area this year. Been thinking about it for the areas I do on foot, and figure it would likely miss roughly a third of what I have found on foot this year due to their being hard to discern quickly, or at all, from the air. But might well more than make up for that with additional acreage covered...
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:09 am

Whats the word on your marsh water level? Going to be a grind for Sept hole?
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 pm

Doubt I could get through the stretch of trail between Clyde's blind and mine at this point - if I could get a boat launched. Helicopter is flying this end for nests today, so we'll soon see if the airboats can make any headway. Suspect I'll be doing a whole lot more picking via Pete and Joe this Summer. Buy Powerade stock, it's about to soar.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:38 am

Rick wrote:Doubt I could get through the stretch of trail between Clyde's blind and mine at this point - if I could get a boat launched. Helicopter is flying this end for nests today, so we'll soon see if the airboats can make any headway. Suspect I'll be doing a whole lot more picking via Pete and Joe this Summer. Buy Powerade stock, it's about to soar.

Oh God you just reminded me of opening day.
I tried to run the elk shute. Got stuck bad and figured I'll just push thru. Nope it git even worse. So I had my boat as far as I could go. Back up? Oh lord...
I prayed "Jesus give me the strength to save myself please ".
Inch by inch I tugged the boat backwards about 40 yards
I'll not repeat that stunt again..
Ricky Spanish

Postby MARSH BEAR » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:01 am

Experience is a great teacher - especially a bad experience
MARSH BEAR

Previous

Return to Rick 2021-2022