Who wears what waders

Duck hunting gear reviews and questions.

Who wears what waders

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:58 pm

A friend is asking.
I use cabelas neoprene and keep patching em up.
Specifically are there any Chene or Stika users? :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Re: Who wears what waders

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:58 pm

Cabelas super mags for me. Have friends with chenes. Don’t think I know anyone with Sitka. Everyone says chenes are awesome. I can’t justify the price tag with as little as I hunt. If I followed them from Canada to the coast, maybe.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:07 am

I'll reveal who is asking later.
He uses the same as we do.
Need more replies.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:03 am

Cheap ass PVC waders. Ouzong or something, 40 bucks on Amazon all day, every day. Buy 3 pair and put into rotation, spray em with armor all a few times during the season to prevent cracking. You’ll sweat but I found I sweat in all waders regardless of temperature. They work for my style of a 7 minute hike through a cypress/tupelo gum swamp without briars or thorns to deal with.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:40 am

Anotherone wrote:Cheap ass PVC waders. Ouzong or something, 40 bucks on Amazon all day, every day. Buy 3 pair and put into rotation, spray em with armor all a few times during the season to prevent cracking. You’ll sweat but I found I sweat in all waders regardless of temperature. They work for my style of a 7 minute hike through a cypress/tupelo gum swamp without briars or thorns to deal with.

I'm not walking in.
The only wading I do is pushing the boat and maybe putting out decoys. The guys I hunt with all do the same. Some don't even wear waders..
We toss out decoys, bust ice, and everything from boats.
I love it. If you think I'm kicking water think again.

I think my curious isolated friend will buy cabelas neoprene brush busters if they're any good still..
Think Yankee and hunting just south of Chicago.

I've followed Cookseys advice hard.
Search for the shortest trees he said. I found the place.
Took a guy who hated it and insisted tall timber, skinny water, and kicking it was what WE were going to do.
It was not even possible and I'm a stinker for it.
I was using ten foot strings because there wasn't any skinny water to kick.
To do the kicking water thing is first split.
The wma floods and I'm using 10 foot strings by second split. It's just how it works.
It's either not enough or too much water.
Adapt.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:45 am

In our climate down south here, it's now breathable waders or suicide, most have long ditched neoprene in favor of the newer types that can be worn in 70 degrees or 20 degrees.

I wear waist high waders from Gator Waders, been a big fan, though think they've discontinued that model. If had to buy a new set tomorrow, would probably look hard at Rogers offerings, seem hard to beat for the money.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:50 am

I've been in hip boots most of my duck hunting life, and rarely have the need for chest waders. Those I've bought and used in the past were cheap to mid range. I did buy a new pair of Banded uninsulated breathable waist waders 2 years ago for those just in case needs, but haven't even taken them out of the box. I'm pretty much over walk in and stand in the water hunts, but will hunt a creek or bay edge if not possible to hunt out of the boat. The value of a good seat with backrest, and firm footing has gone up in my book over the last few years :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:17 am

Deltaman wrote:I've been in hip boots most of my duck hunting life, and rarely have the need for chest waders. Those I've bought and used in the past were cheap to mid range. I did buy a new pair of Banded uninsulated breathable waist waders 2 years ago for those just in case needs, but haven't even taken them out of the box. I'm pretty much over walk in and stand in the water hunts, but will hunt a creek or bay edge if not possible to hunt out of the boat. The value of a good seat with backrest, and firm footing has gone up in my book over the last few years :lol:

Hehe. After my dog shakes and you sit down on wet the hip boots Lustre is gone.
The dog brings in about a gallon per retrieve or more it seems like.
I'm fully hooked on chest waders.
My blind is cozy but not simple or easy.
It's "not that bad".
A seat with backrest is important.
Heat is a luxury.

We are down to breathable vs brush busters from cabelas. I'd pick the cabelas ones because I'm goofy.
Ricky Spanish

Return to Duck Hunting Gear Forum