Need som Hobie Kayak duck blind ideas

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Need som Hobie Kayak duck blind ideas

Postby Coot Shootin’ Boogie » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:04 pm

Hey all,

Got my new kayak and I’m ready to take it out on the marsh once I get some camo on it. Only color I could get was “papaya” which is orange. Looking to buy a Yak Gear blind or something similar, though I’ve seen people use camo burlap and Velcro it to the sides of their kayak and then add a “cage” up top that swings open. Anyone got ideas or have experience with the DIY on these?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coot Shootin’ Boogie

Re: Need som Hobie Kayak duck blind ideas

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:14 pm

Youtube has a lot of helpful stuff.

Outdoor Limits channel is a guy that is using a kayak to hunt. He's pretty real.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:56 pm

Spent very little time looking but there is a store bought blind that might fit if it's 12 feet long.
To find a hobie anything where I live is not likely here in Illinois. I used to live in Long Beach ...hobie everything there. That is NOT a cheap kayak. You can afford to hire Amish to build a custom blind for you. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby Coot Shootin’ Boogie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:14 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:Spent very little time looking but there is a store bought blind that might fit if it's 12 feet long.
To find a hobie anything where I live is not likely here in Illinois. I used to live in Long Beach ...hobie everything there. That is NOT a cheap kayak. You can afford to hire Amish to build a custom blind for you. :lol:
Hahahaa I should find some Amish. Yeah it was a generous gift from my grandmother. For the store bought are you referring to the Nothern Flight one from Bass Pro/Cabela’s?

Coot Shootin’ Boogie

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:52 am

Coot Shootin’ Boogie wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:Spent very little time looking but there is a store bought blind that might fit if it's 12 feet long.
Hahahaa I should find some Amish. Yeah it was a generous gift from my grandmother. For the store bought are you referring to the Nothern Flight one from Bass Pro/Cabela’s?

Yeah. It "might fit". I guess measure the length and width and call them and ask if they're willing to take a chance.
I'm betting it'll be wonky or something.
Sorry but in general waterfowlers have to rig things to work sometimes and then it works poorly.
It's part of the game. Good luck. Be patient. Keep searching and the solution will hit you.
I'm sort of a joker. That's typical of waterfowlers too.

Hey if you're trying to get in the field quickly just buy a couple packages of burlap. I use Allen brand in a pattern called "vanish" that is ideal for in flooded timber..
Just cover up and hide. You're going to get wet but if you're young and tough it'll work.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Coot Shootin’ Boogie » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:58 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:
Coot Shootin’ Boogie wrote:

Yeah. It "might fit". I guess measure the length and width and call them and ask if they're willing to take a chance.
I'm betting it'll be wonky or something.
Sorry but in general waterfowlers have to rig things to work sometimes and then it works poorly.
It's part of the game. Good luck. Be patient. Keep searching and the solution will hit you.
I'm sort of a joker. That's typical of waterfowlers too.

Hey if you're trying to get in the field quickly just buy a couple packages of burlap. I use Allen brand in a pattern called "vanish" that is ideal for in flooded timber..
Just cover up and hide. You're going to get wet but if you're young and tough it'll work.
Thanks bro. I do appreciate the joking. I’m used to it and love it. I’ll check out that burlap. Im definitely feeling impatient at the moment, but I also want to do it right. I saw a video of a woman who made an incredible looking blind using a max-5 canvas cover that she velcroed to the hull and then covered the cockpit with a pop out cover.

I’m young and tough and don’t mind getting wet. I need to find a solution for being able to hunt and stay in the kayak for some of the local sloughs that are deep and also require hunters to stay in their boats and don’t allow them to step on the banks.

I appreciate the help on this, brother!

Coot Shootin’ Boogie

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:12 am

Velcro has it's down side.Grabs other things until it won't grab the other velcro piece. Clogged. It happens.
I'd get the tools to put on snaps so the blind just snaps on.
The never getting out part sounds bad.
I'd have to 1, 2, or both at some point.

I used a carsten pintail and paddled it and laid in it and that had its own things that made me quit using it.
You get cold and are stuck laying there.
Use 6 or 8 hot hands to keep from freezing.
I'd get a wet suit and waders.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Coot Shootin’ Boogie » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:20 am

Could I glue the snaps on to my hull? I’m very hesitant to drill into the underside of the hull.

Coot Shootin’ Boogie

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:48 am

Coot Shootin’ Boogie wrote:Could I glue the snaps on to my hull? I’m very hesitant to drill into the underside of the hull.

Why put them under?
At the bottom and all over the thing you'll have straps sewn at intervals for tying brush, grass, or whatever on to camo it better.

I'd spray paint the kayak with rustoleum camo paint too.
Get creative and use leaves or grass as stencils.
It don't have to fit perfectly but I'm pretty sure you want it where nothing is dragging in the water.

Try and match where you plan on hunting.
My rig is dark because where I hide it is forest in winter.
Lots of buck brush to hide in.
I'm using a big jon boat but I have hunted from a layout rig some. It's cold and wet.

This is a mutt hut but shows what I mean by straps.
16706909854458754342651183697583.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Coot Shootin’ Boogie » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:35 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:
Coot Shootin’ Boogie wrote:Could I glue the snaps on to my hull? I’m very hesitant to drill into the underside of the hull.

Why put them under?
At the bottom and all over the thing you'll have straps sewn at intervals for tying brush, grass, or whatever on to camo it better.

I'd spray paint the kayak with rustoleum camo paint too.
Get creative and use leaves or grass as stencils.
It don't have to fit perfectly but I'm pretty sure you want it where nothing is dragging in the water.

Try and match where you plan on hunting.
My rig is dark because where I hide it is forest in winter.
Lots of buck brush to hide in.
I'm using a big jon boat but I have hunted from a layout rig some. It's cold and wet.

This is a mutt hut but shows what I mean by straps.
16706909854458754342651183697583.jpg
This was my last kayak I painted:

I’m just hesitant to do this to a brand new Hobie. Thoughts?

Coot Shootin’ Boogie

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:50 am

My boat engine was new looking and white.
Cost more than a kayak and I did not hesitate and just started spraying. If you're gonna kill ducks that orange has to go.
Guys like me will give you hell about it "nicely".
Your other kayak looks fine to me.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Coot Shootin’ Boogie » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 pm

Thanks Ricky. My other kayak unfortunately ripped off the roof rack on the Highway and is no more. Was stoked to get after it this season.

I agree the Orange has to go. My big head scratching decision is whether to make a cammo cover for it or paint it. I also use it on the ocean so either way I’ll be taking something off and on between ocean and marsh.

I appreciate all the tips you’ve given me.
Coot Shootin’ Boogie

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:02 am

Coot Shootin’ Boogie wrote:Thanks Ricky. My other kayak unfortunately ripped off the roof rack on the Highway and is no more. Was stoked to get after it this season.

I agree the Orange has to go. My big head scratching decision is whether to make a cammo cover for it or paint it. I also use it on the ocean so either way I’ll be taking something off and on between ocean and marsh.

I appreciate all the tips you’ve given me.

I'm pretty clueless about kayaks but nobody else has the cajones to dive in and look foolish quite like me.
There's only one Aunt Betty. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum